PFF: Patriots defense hasn?t been that bad in 2017 ???

dchester

Snoop Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
PFF: Patriots defense hasn’t been that bad in 2017 ???

I'm not sure if someone has been smoking crack, or if I've been missing something (like the defense) in the Patriots games, so far.

I had been thinking that if you look like crap, play like crap, and smell like crap, you're probably crap. Also if the defense is ranked 32nd in yards allowed per game; 32nd in yards allowed per play; 32nd in passing yards allowed per game; 32nd in passing yards allowed per play; 32nd in first downs allowed per game, and 30th in points allowed per game, it's pretty bad.

However, Pro Football Focus says, it’s not that bad, and has them as the 17th ranked defense.

:huh:

PFF: Patriots defense “hasn’t been that bad” in 2017

https://www.patspulpit.com/2017/10/...-patriots-defense-hasnt-been-that-bad-in-2017

So what to you all think. Is the defense bad, or just mediocre. FWIW, I'm not saying they won't get better in November / December, but rather, what have they shown us so far?

A pile of shit. Best describes the defense . Harrison was 100% right . They are unorganized . Their no communication , undisciplined & missing tackles . You can't count oh his defense to make the big stop with game on line.

All other years we, or at least many, like to use the same metric that BB uses to measure the defense, points allowed. We may not dismiss all the others but clearly the most important is point allowed.

They are awful.

they're crap. i don't g.a.f. about yards most of the time but no team IN NFL HISTORY has ever given up six 300 yard passing games in a row.
If they can start forcing turnovers and tackling better (good god, they have been attocious there, after being otherworldly in 2016), and communicating better, they could be good enough to win because of. I still think they have that in them.

Do the Pats really miss Logan Ryan that much? He never missed a game...and never looked as bad as Gilmore has.

The Pats need more linebackers that are good, but cheap via trade.

They also need great pass rushers...but, when haven't they?

BB could have signed DMC's brudduh for cheap probably...why didn't he?

/random thoughts

It's all relative. There are plenty of really bad defensive teams in the league right now. It's simple: Ours sucks but sucks less than many others.

In their defense the Patriots Defense was only #19 on their Top 20 Things That Arent As Bad As You Think They Are

1) Getting stood up at the altar
2) Double root canals
3) Roger Goodell's decision making process
4) Season 6 of Lost
5) Spiders
6) The smell of Indian food
7) Ingrown toenails
8) Tyler Perry's BOO! A Madea Halloween 2
9) Mylie Cyrus' music
10) Whole Wheat anything
11) Getting an endless stream of sketchy pop ups at your favorite pro football message board
12) Burnt pop corn in the microwave in the break room at work
13a) My lying cheating shrew of an ex girlfriend
13b) That was a joke honey. Please come back.
13c) Thats not true. I never had a girlfriend. Im going to die alone. :sigh:
14) Little Caesars pizza
15) Mylie Cyrus' acting

16) Nutkick
17) Monday.
18) Lists of any sort
19) The 2017 New England Patriots defense
20) The open window period for yearly re-enrollment of medical benefits, now featuring an all new, easier website!

They have improved the last 2 games. I am hopeful that they can continue to improve but hope the injuries get better. Ugh.

I like to let the #s do the talking...

29th in points allowed.
32nd in total yards against.
32nd in passing ypg against.
21st in rushing ypg against.
26th in 3rd down stop rate.
So too does PFF, just different numbers. :shrug:

Cheers

If we just get better on third down than all the other categories will improve.

They've been every bit as bad as the raw numbers suggest, but thankfully it's not entirely a skill issue. Mediocrity is a realistic goal.

The defense has been embarrassingly putrid for most of the games so far. It’s too bad that it’s impossible to withhold their paychecks until they start playing better and consistently better.

3) Double root canals

If you can afford it I HIGHLY recommend sleep dentistry. I had to get an extraction done but because of my anxiety my brain was creating pain even though my regular dentist froze my jaw up like the iceberg that sunk the Titanic when he tried to pull it out. So I got sleep dentistry and it was amazing. I went in and the put the IV in, that was the only pain I felt (Because i'm a giant wuss and don't like needles) and then they started asking me questions and then next thing I knew I woke up with hands in my mouth. I pointed at my IV in my wrist and said as well as I could with hands in my mouth "shouldn't you guys give me the smack?" and they laughed and said "Yeah, that was 45 minutes ago." They'd done the whole thing and it felt like 2 minutes to me. I wish I could have done that every day before I went to work in call centers...

4) Season 6 of Lost

I liked season 6 of Lost, not as much as the others but I liked the ending.

9) Mylie Cyrus' music

I don't care for her music but...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3b6pXwK914s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13c) Thats not true. I never had a girlfriend. Im going to die alone. :sigh:

Hey me too! DIE ALONE BROTHERS FTW!

18) Lists of any sort

NSPF sees what you did there.

20) The open window period for yearly re-enrollment of medical benefits, now featuring an all new, easier website!

Move up here to Soviet-Canuckistan. Free Health Care, and we PROMISE we'll only tax you %98!

They have been bad. But I think they will continue to improve as the year goes on, so that by the end of the year, they will be considered "good." Maybe not great, but good.

Last year's D wasn't good as much as it was pure luck of the schedule & smoke and mirrors. It was the poor QBs they played against last year that made them look good, imo. The 1st 'good' QB they played against last year was Ben in week 7 and that doesn't count since the Pats own the Steelers. In week 10 Russell Wilson, who played well last year, beat us pretty good, 31-24.

Ben and RWilson were the only 2 good QBs we played all year.

Here's a link to last year's schedule so you can see for yourself:
http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2016/REG/Patriots

Back