Poll: Predict Tom Brady's Future

What lies in Tom Brady's future as a QB?

• He'll be back to play for the Pats next year.

Votes: 30 57.7%
  • He'll play QB for another team as yet undetermined.

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • He's done with this part of his career and will retire.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He'll never voluntarily retire until forced to by injury or other force beyond his control

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Other: If you select this option, you have to say WHAT it will be.

Votes: 5 9.6%

• Total voters
Mike Lombardi joins the Brady for JimmyG train

in Tom Brady’s case, returning home to the Bay Area and finishing out his career in the uniform of his favorite childhood team, the 49ers, might actually make some real sense. Going home might be the best place for him. Now, before we get into this, I want to be clear: I’ve resisted from playing the ‘Where is Tom Going’ game, in part because we don’t have a clear understanding of the new CBA if the players do approve it and also because, honestly, I’m unwilling to wrap my head around the idea that Brady could play for a team other than the Patriots. I might get there at some point, but I am not there yet. But, for the sake of this column and because NFL fans across the world are asking where Brady might play next season, I will grudgingly admit that yes, the 49ers do make sense.
That may sound surprising, considering the fact that the NFC champion 49ers already have a much younger former Patriots quarterback in Jimmy Garoppolo. Garoppolo, 28, is coming off a solid season, and while he took a ton of heat for not making a play in the fourth quarter of San Francisco’s Super Bowl LIV loss to the Chiefs, he should not shoulder all the blame for the 49ers’ collapse. To understand why the 49ers might have an interest in Mr. Brady, you need to first understand how Garoppolo became their full-time starter.
Kyle Shanahan took the job as head coach of the 49ers in 2017 and was given complete authority to rebuild the organization. (Make no mistake about this: Shanahan has in his contract complete and total authority to do whatever he wants, even though John Lynch has the general manager title). Shanahan originally wanted Kirk Cousins to become his starter even though he was playing in Washington. Shanahan signed journeyman quarterback Brian Hoyer to allow himself some time to repair the team before Cousins arrived. During Shanahan’s first draft with the 49ers in 2017, he passed on quarterbacks Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson and Mitch Trubisky, admitting later that he never gave them a full evaluation. After trading the No. 2 pick to the Bears, he drafted defensive tackle Solomon Thomas from Stanford at No. 3, an excellent college player labeled a “can’t-miss” because of his effort and instincts, though he has proven to be more miss than hit. Shanahan did not pay attention to the quarterbacks available in the draft because he knew he was going to sign Cousins. The 49ers’ reasoning had to be: why waste time on finding another quarterback when you know one is coming sooner rather than later?
Shanahan and Cousins have a close relationship fueled by how Shanahan hand-picked Cousins for his father Mike’s offense in Washington, even after the organization drafted Robert Griffin III. And even after Griffin played well, Cousins was the quarterback the Shanahans wanted. When the Redskins ran out of options to resign Cousins, it seemed inevitable that he would land in San Francisco … until Jimmy Garoppolo arrived.
Garoppolo was never part of Shanahan’s master plan. Even after making the trade with the Patriots in October of 2017, he thought he was still going to sign Cousins when he hit free agency in 2018. All Jimmy G provided at the time of the trade was an asset, a quality player who was in demand throughout the NFL. The 49ers believed after making the initial trade that they could convert Garoppolo into a higher pick than the second-rounder sent to the Patriots. This is one of the reasons they made the midseason deal — they had a chance to add more assets to their portfolio. After they completed the deal, the 49ers were not shy about admitting they could send Garoppolo to another team like the Browns for a future first. Then something occurred that even Shanahan could not ignore: Garoppolo played well, extremely well, far beyond what Shanahan had expected.
The 49ers were 1-10 when Garoppolo became the starter in December of 2017. By the end of the season, they were 6-10 and looked like a team with a bright future. Garappolo won over Shanahan, which was not easy, but after five games of playing at a high level, even Shanahan had to admit that Jimmy G. was the future, not Cousins. So in 2018 they negotiated a good contract for both parties, one that allows the 49ers the freedom to move on from Jimmy without paying a huge cap charge. (For example, if the 49ers trade Garoppolo this year, they only have $4.2 million of dead cap charge.)
And yet as the team improved around Garoppolo and as they played more games together, it never seemed that Shanahan had quite the love for Jimmy that he once had for Kirk. They appeared to grow further apart, not in conversations, but rather in mannerisms and interactions — which is natural the more time you spend around a player, particularly a player who was more of an arranged marriage then a true love affair. Even during their successful 2019 season, there was a sense at times that Shanahan was just trying to make sure Garoppolo didn’t lose the games instead of letting him go win them. And after the Super Bowl loss, you can only imagine this has gotten slightly more distant.
It’s not crazy to think that Shanahan could believe with the running game, defense and play design that his team has, Brady could be the player to push them over the edge and deliver them a Super Bowl victory. Despite his recent decline in play, Brady would not make blatant mistakes with the football, he would always get the 49ers into the perfect play, and he would not have to carry the team — he could be a supplement, a significant supplement. Yes, some might argue that Jimmy was the supplement as well, that the pressure was not entirely on Jimmy to carry the team either, which is true. But when the game is on the line, when the outcome rests solely on the quarterback’s overall talent, when the scheme cannot entirely compensate, then a quarterback must step up and lead the team forward. To some extent, Garoppolo can do that, and we’ve seen glimpses of it, but in a broader, more critical way, Brady embraces these moments when the burden shifts from the coach to the player. Even at his age, Brady can take the game over with his mind; he can get into the right play and does not need the right call all the time. This is not a knock on Garoppolo, but rather a tribute to Brady’s experience — and it’s something that could bring a title to the 49ers.
Brady would be ideal for the present, and trading Garoppolo would give the 49ers an asset for the future. They could trade Garoppolo back to the Patriots or any other team in need of young talent, then spend draft capital on another young quarterback. Shanahan has great faith in his ability to find non-mainstream quarterback talent. He believes his offense makes the quarterback better and that he does not need rare skills at the position. He would not look at signing Brady as merely a short-term fix, because he knows he could find another young talent at the position — perhaps even bring back his first love Kirk Cousins next season. If he signed Brady, Shanahan would continue to think about the future beyond him, but in the meantime, Brady would give Shanahan what all coaches love: experience. Experience in big games, experience in making the right play at the right time. That experience, most importantly, brings a sense of confidence to his team. Signing Brady puts the bullseye on Shanahan’s back, and it also sends comfort to his entire team that if they do their jobs, they have the leadership in place to win a Super Bowl. The locker room will be filled with excitement, with players saying, “We got the GOAT.”
I could imagine Shanahan telling people in the organization that either Nick Mullens or C.J. Beathard could do what Garoppolo does — maybe not as good, but close enough. But no one can do what Brady does, or could do. Shanahan is confident in his talent as a coach, he places a massive sense of responsibility on his shoulders to make the game easy for the quarterback—and because of the smoothness of his offense, finding the right player for the offense becomes elementary to him. Yes, he craves talent, yes he wants the best player, but Shanahan knows his skills as a coach makes any player better, so if he believes Mullens or Beathard could do as well as Garoppolo, he means only with him coaching them. You might say this arrogance or cockiness is not becoming for a young coach, but it might be the best trait any coach can possess. If Sean McVay of the Rams had a little more of this, then he might have let Jared Goff walk and find another option without hampering his cap. Because truthfully, he could. McVay, like Shanahan, possesses skills that can overcome talent at times and he should never be afraid to find an alternative.
He may not be playing at the levels he was just a couple of years ago, but Brady still gives Shanahan something he has never had as a coach: a player who can go beyond his playcalling, who has the experience to recover if a play goes wrong. That is the rare trait — and that’s why signing Brady might make sense for a team that’s ready to win right now.
From Brady’s standpoint, the 49ers do make sense on and off the field. It would be a homecoming; he could end his football career the way it began: in the Bay Area. Brady would be on a team with excellent veteran skill players, tremendous coaching and play design, one that is constructed to win a championship immediately.
Of all the teams in the mix for Brady, the 49ers make sense — not only because Brady’s mind and experience would give them an immediate improvement at the position, but because of Shanahan’s skills as a quarterback evaluator for the future.
Maybe going home isn’t so bad after all.

https://theathletic.com/1658416/202...-brady-to-the-niners-may-actually-make-sense/

Now I know that MLombardi is a spy for BB

This is tough for me to buy and it has nothing to do with Brady. If Brady is not going back to NE for whatever reason, yeah the niners is by far the best place to go with what is there. The question is, why would the niners do it? Do they feel JG will never be anything? Do they feel they only have a small window to win? On the outside it looks stupid for the niners to even consider this. Now on to JG, why would he want to? He wouldnt, he is on a perfect team there, I doubt he will ever be on a more perfect team for winning, so I dont see that being his want either. Its a PR nightmare for a lot involved, and I just dont see a shot at the superbowl which you have anyway with JG is worth it. Things making sense to media people do not mean its the best thing to do. People always say oh Bill wanted JG to stay and not Brady. I am not sure that is true. I think Bill wanted JG to stay because he would be a good one to take over some day, but in the end, it didnt matter, because JG had say so, and why would he stay unless he was getting the same money and starting? He wouldnt, so he didnt. All parties have to be on board with things.

It would be utter lunacy if the Niners made the trade. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Jimmy G is a very good QB. He brought SF to the SB and was not far off delivering the SB for SF.

Why on earth would a team with a franchise QB, loaded with weapons on offense with a championship calibre defense trade of a 43-year-old QB who has, at best, 2 years left? Yes, Brady is the GOAT, but father time does not relent and Tom will eventually fall away.

JG could be at SF for years to come.

And after Brady retires, then what? SF would likely be a top 10 team so would not have a great place in the draft to choose a QB so they'd have to take the chance and the risk, in FA.

People are just suggesting this trade because Tom was a niners fan and from the area, and the fact JG was at NE.

From the Niners viewpoint, it makes ZERO sense.

It would be utter lunacy if the Niners made the trade. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Jimmy G is a very good QB. He brought SF to the SB and was not far off delivering the SB for SF.

Why on earth would a team with a franchise QB, loaded with weapons on offense with a championship calibre defense trade of a 43-year-old QB who has, at best, 2 years left? Yes, Brady is the GOAT, but father time does not relent and Tom will eventually fall away.

And after Brady retires, then what? SF would likely be a top 10 team so would not have a great place in the draft to choose a QB so they'd have to take the chance and the risk, in FA.

People are just suggesting this trade because Tom was a niners fan and from the area, and the fact JG was at NE.

Tom gives them a better shot at a Lombardi.

It’s that simple.

Tom gives them a better shot at a Lombardi.

It’s that simple.

Not worth a trophy for one or two years of Brady and then having to start all over again looking for a QB that will lead them for the next 10 years. The Niners are a blue ribband franchise, one of the most successful NFL teams in history and I don't believe for a second that they would be foolish enough to trade a QB like JG just to get one more trophy.

Via Mike Reiss of ESPN.com, SiriusXM NFL Radio co-host Charlie Weis said last week that Brady texted him with the following important update about the constant updates about his free agency and future.
“I do have one bit of scoop for us. I’ve been texting with Tommy,” Weis said (and somebody should help Charlie pick up that name he just dropped). “I don’t [usually] pass along these conversations, but one thing he told me — ‘Nobody knows anything. So anyone who is telling you they know, they don’t know.’
“I’m not going through any other part of the conversation [but] I followed up and he said, ‘Clean it up.’ So I’m cleaning it up.”

Via Mike Reiss of ESPN.com, SiriusXM NFL Radio co-host Charlie Weis said last week that Brady texted him with the following important update about the constant updates about his free agency and future.
“I do have one bit of scoop for us. I’ve been texting with Tommy,” Weis said (and somebody should help Charlie pick up that name he just dropped). “I don’t [usually] pass along these conversations, but one thing he told me — ‘Nobody knows anything. So anyone who is telling you they know, they don’t know.’
“I’m not going through any other part of the conversation [but] I followed up and he said, ‘Clean it up.’ So I’m cleaning it up.”

Been saying this from the beginning. This insane media blitz over Tom should just stop.

Not worth a trophy for one or two years of Brady and then having to start all over again looking for a QB that will lead them for the next 10 years. The Niners are a blue ribband franchise, one of the most successful NFL teams in history and I don't believe for a second that they would be foolish enough to trade a QB like JG just to get one more trophy.

Just to get 1 more?

Look at how long it’s been.

We’re jaded here. You have to come to the realization that SBs don’t just come around willy-nilly. Look at Detroit. When your team is that close you pounce while the iron is hot. You can’t assume you’ll be there every year. Brady simply makes them better.

My God thank you. This overblown BS that has been spread around is the worst. This is why I wanted Brady to retire, because it does not matter the truth, it matters what stories they can create.

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

They might be starting all over again if Jimmy does not get better anyway. They feel like they are in win now and as you know teams dont just go back every year, the patriots do, but others dont. Most teams have small windows, and if they dont feel like JG cant get them a title, why would they wait around. Now with that said, I think its a BS rumor of the whole JG back to patriots, Brady to niners, its just a story that sounds good, its not going to happen.

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

A lot of people do not feel JG brought them there, in fact a lot think he is the weak link and they got there in spite of him. If the team feels that way, thats not a good relationship. Yes the story is 99 percent BS, but teams want titles and they dont feel like JG can get them over the top or is hurting them, they wont keep going very long before they make some move.

The TBBuccaneers are going “all in” to sign Tom Brady, with head coach Bruce Arians leading the way, per@NFLSTROUD. Tampa Bay has $80M in cap space.

======================

The Bucs are going all in on Tom Brady.It’s true. The franchise that has not reached the postseason in 12 years will do almost anything to land the quarterback who has been to the playoffs for 11 straight seasons and won six Super Bowls.
If we reach the legal free-agent tampering period Monday at noon and Brady is behind Door No. 2, Bruce Arians and the Glazer family will try to kick that sucker down for Touchdown Tommy.
TB12 for TB’20.
This is not hype. It’s hope. This is fact, not fantasy. This is the plan. This is the Bucs’ play.

This is the 67-year-old Arians, who has coached Ben Roethlisberger, Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer wanting to complete the set. This is an ownership with 45,000 or more empty seats at Raymond James Stadium to sell for eight Sundays, knowing one guy who can fill them.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/2020/03/11/tom-brady-watch-why-the-bucs-are-going-all-in/

The TBBuccaneers are going “all in” to sign Tom Brady, with head coach Bruce Arians leading the way, per@NFLSTROUD. Tampa Bay has $80M in cap space.

======================

The Bucs are going all in on Tom Brady.It’s true. The franchise that has not reached the postseason in 12 years will do almost anything to land the quarterback who has been to the playoffs for 11 straight seasons and won six Super Bowls.
If we reach the legal free-agent tampering period Monday at noon and Brady is behind Door No. 2, Bruce Arians and the Glazer family will try to kick that sucker down for Touchdown Tommy.
TB12 for TB’20.
This is not hype. It’s hope. This is fact, not fantasy. This is the plan. This is the Bucs’ play.

This is the 67-year-old Arians, who has coached Ben Roethlisberger, Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer wanting to complete the set. This is an ownership with 45,000 or more empty seats at Raymond James Stadium to sell for eight Sundays, knowing one guy who can fill them.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/2020/03/11/tom-brady-watch-why-the-bucs-are-going-all-in/

He has tampered as openly and blatantly as anyone I’ve ever seen.

PFT is reporting that the Niners have decided not to pursue Brady.
With Tennessee out of the picture, his options are dwindling. Tampa is the only team openly pursuing him at this point.

Curran is really click-baiting these days, trying to claim now that BB doesn't really want TB anymore and has offered him a 1 year deal only for less money than he earned last year.

The Titans are out of the picture?

Don’t discount Tampa. Arians has gotten good surprising results out of teams for years. Lucks rookie year was a great example. That team had no business being that successful. He had some good years with an almost washed up Carson Palmer. And has a long history of good offenses as a coordinator. He’s never had a QB who is as hard working, smart, or determined as Brady.
In my opinion Tampa’s def is up and coming. They cut bait with some bad picks in the secondary last season including a first rounders. Todd Bowles may not be a head coach but he’s a damn good def coordinator. Players like him. They gave a good D line which is where things begin, and they shut down the run.
On offense Godwin would be a great fit for Brady. The line is at least as good as the one in NE, and I think the running backs are better than they’ve performed thus far. The run game could break out next season. Evans is a beast and a great red zone target. Perriman is as good a number three as you get, and they have depth behind those three. And finally, they have some damn good tight ends. Brate is great in the red zone, and Howard would explode playing with Brady. They just need a pass catching back.
Brady would love playing in that offense.

Well after all the speculation, looks like the dust is settling and Brady ends up where he started from: Patriots. That being the case, I hope the guy who's coming back will look a lot better than the guy who played in 12's uni last season. Everyone's entitled to an off season. Hopefully, 2019 was Brady's and he'll be back with something to prove, namely, that his playing days aren't over.

I guess the Brady-Go-Round was more entertaining than counting virus patients, though.

:patriotlogo:

Reports are there are only two teams interested now in Tom. I'm assuming it's the Bucks and Bolts. The Niners are definitely out as expected.

A wake-up call for Tom and his team surely. You may be the GOAT, but you'll be 43 years of age come next season and do you really want to start all over again with an inferior coach and team all because you wanted a bit of love?

Back