Pregame thread - Patriots vs Washington (Preseason game 1) Thursday, 8/12/21, 7:30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
They would need to carry 6 RBs . Harris , Michel , White , Stevenson , Taylor & Johnson. If it came down to it. I take a Taylor over Johnson . BB would just have to get creative At FB.
The numbers at RB are very interesting this year and I don't know if you can redshirt Stevenson anymore after what he showed last night.

I had heard Stevenson was a good blocker in College, but I haven't noticed him attempt one here. My original thought was that maybe he can convert to FB,
but.......he's too good as a tailback to turn him into a blocker. Let's see what happens the first time he has to pick up a blitzing LB and maybe we'll find out why
Ivan was so tough on him.

I've given Jakob Johnson a lot of crap, but I have to admit he isn't as bad as he was. I'd just hate to lose Taylor because we kept a guy that is just OK as a blocker.

Something has to give.

They would need to carry 6 RBs . Harris , Michel , White , Stevenson , Taylor & Johnson. If it came down to it. I take a Taylor over Johnson . BB would just have to get creative At FB.
That would be 5 RBs and 1 FB? That doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

That would be 5 RBs and 1 FB? That doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

Some people are writing Brandon Bolden out of the picture, but we've seen this movie before.

I'm never doing it again. He just keeps crawling out of the grave and is a slightly better player every year.

We should do a poll. I'll bet nobody gets it exact.

Some people are writing Brandon Bolden out of the picture, but we've seen this movie before.

I'm never doing it again. He just keeps crawling out of the grave and is a slightly better player every year.

We should do a poll. I'll bet nobody gets it exact.

Lazar's attempt at the 53 man roster drops today.

I was honestly surprised that Mac came in so early. I wondered if Cam was having issues in some way or was this just BB's way of getting Mac's feet wet or if he jus did better in practice leading to this game.

BB often follows Parcell's tradition for the 1st preseason game of using the starters for the first 2 series only.

Oh, and if anyone mentioned this, I missed it, but...

Steve Belichick has committed a very serious hair crime. That is some seriously bad hair.
OMG, how could anyone miss it? All those camera shots from the rear? I shudder to think about it.

Advanced game stats from Evan Lazar explains what we saw.

Below are a variety of advanced stats from the Patriots’ 22-13 win over the Washington Football Team in Thursday’s preseason opener.

MAC JONES’S PASSING STATS

Since starting quarterback Cam Newton only had seven drop-backs, we’ll focus on the rookie here.
Patriots first-round pick Mac Jones only completed one pass over ten yards in the air with an average depth of target of 7.6 yards, but the Jones-led offense is taking shape already.

First, offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels mainly called short passes from spread looks with Jones in the shotgun or an empty formation. Jones also ran two run-pass options, three under-center designs, a no-huddle sequence, and his average time to throw was a brisk 2.55 seconds.

The rookie quarterback’s only completion that traveled over ten yards in the air was a 13-yard strike to Kendrick Bourne off under-center play-action. The Pats get the linebacker level to bite on a lead play with fullback Jakob Johnson in the backfield. Jones fires the ball on the money immediately once he hits the top of his drop, which prevents the linebackers from recovering underneath Bourne’s route. Jones’s decisiveness is critical in that particular play.

Another marriage between the old Pats offense and the new generation with Jones was the installation of run-pass options, which were a Jones staple at Alabama.

Much more

As much as we all wish Jones’s initial snaps against Washington provided answers, it would be a fool’s errand to conjure something definitive from the first slate of preseason games in two years. There was a time a few years ago when Robert Griffin III to Terrelle Pryor had a nice ring to it. It’s the active agent in the NFL’s drug, this kind of blind optimism we don’t always reserve for the other aspects of our lives.

But there’s almost as interesting of a story in what we can’t say about Jones’s debut. This is obviously safer but it’s sometimes more accurate than comparing a quarterback’s snaps in a dulled, vanilla offense against various packages of first, second, third and fourth-stringers looking for absolutes. We cannot say that, for even a single moment, Jones looked lost.

As much as we all wish Jones’s initial snaps against Washington provided answers, it would be a fool’s errand to conjure something definitive from the first slate of preseason games in two years. There was a time a few years ago when Robert Griffin III to Terrelle Pryor had a nice ring to it. It’s the active agent in the NFL’s drug, this kind of blind optimism we don’t always reserve for the other aspects of our lives.

But there’s almost as interesting of a story in what we can’t say about Jones’s debut. This is obviously safer but it’s sometimes more accurate than comparing a quarterback’s snaps in a dulled, vanilla offense against various packages of first, second, third and fourth-stringers looking for absolutes. We cannot say that, for even a single moment, Jones looked lost.

I also think there is a tendency to overrate Jones because Cam looks so lost in our offense and Mac does not. So I think we all fall victim to "wowing" over Jones when in reality he looks like how a normal QB should look in our offense. It is still amazing to me that Bill signed Newton and then expected him to being able to play well in the Brady offense when that is not Newton's forte at all. It was like taking a fish out of water for Newton and so it was inevitable that we would eventually get a QB that plays more like Brady and we did in Jones so here we are. I do hope we get to see more of Mac the next 2 preseason games especially against the 1s.

Oh, and if anyone mentioned this, I missed it, but...

Steve Belichick has committed a very serious hair crime. That is some seriously bad hair.
So bad that it made me wonder if he was doing it for publicity and to get attention. I'm bald and I wouldn't do that if that was the only way I could have hair again. Lol.

I was just specifically commenting about Ryan Mallett. I think Mac is very different, and he showed a lot of good things. That said, we do have to temper expectations a bit because he didn't do that against the 1st team. But he showcased exactly why many of us were high on him and were ecstatic when he was picked.
His first drive (FG) was against their 1's.

His first drive (FG) was against their 1's.

I could be wrong but didn't Cam get a FG on his 2nd drive after Wynn whiffed on Chase Young to end the first drive? Can't blame that on Cam. I want to see more is all I'm saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back