Pregame thread - Patriots vs Washington (Preseason game 1) Thursday, 8/12/21, 7:30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hearing Hoyer will get a lot of playing time vs WFT. I'm not looking forward to that if true but I also understand the concept of no injuries.

I want to see how/if the Pats want to use Rhamondre Stevenson. Can he be the 1st/2nd round back, or will he be short yardage/goal line? Or just ST? I think he could be the bruiser I wanted last year. Imagine him as a lead blocker even.

I want to see how/if the Pats want to use Rhamondre Stevenson. Can he be the 1st/2nd round back, or will he be short yardage/goal line? Or just ST? I think he could be the bruiser I wanted last year. Imagine him as a lead blocker even.
Given the negative comments about him from his position coach, I wonder if he'll make the 53 vs. being on the practice squad. I'm interested to see him play for sure - maybe he's just a gamer. Want to see if he can block, run routes, etc.

I'm hearing Hoyer will get a lot of playing time vs WFT. I'm not looking forward to that if true but I also understand the concept of no injuries.
Ugh. Please no!

I get the injuries but given we only have 3 preseason games wouldn't it make sense to get both Cam/Mac some time? I don't mean a ton but maybe a quarter each?

I'll go a step further and say I'd kinda toss the injuries concern out the window when it comes to the QB spot. There are upsides and downsides to having either one of them on the field. If you're going to start Cam, reps for Mac are insanely valuable, because who knows when he'll get them again after this preseason? If you're going to start Mac, the reps for him are even more valuable. In both cases you clearly feel okay about your backup situation, at least in relation to the starter.
I'd give Cam 2 drives, Mac until the end of the 3rd quarter, then Hoyer.
Cam gets a close to a the full first half next week, Mac gets a quarter or more, Hoyer mops up.
Then in the last week you shift into no injuries mode for the starter, plenty of time for the backup, and sign Hoyer to the coaching staff. You can always fire him and put pads back on him if necessary.

I'll go a step further and say I'd kinda toss the injuries concern out the window when it comes to the QB spot. There are upsides and downsides to having either one of them on the field. If you're going to start Cam, reps for Mac are insanely valuable, because who knows when he'll get them again after this preseason? If you're going to start Mac, the reps for him are even more valuable. In both cases you clearly feel okay about your backup situation, at least in relation to the starter.
I'd give Cam 2 drives, Mac until the end of the 3rd quarter, then Hoyer.
Cam gets a close to a the full first half next week, Mac gets a quarter or more, Hoyer mops up.
Then in the last week you shift into no injuries mode for the starter, plenty of time for the backup, and sign Hoyer to the coaching staff. You can always fire him and put pads back on him if necessary.
Agree 100 percent.

I wonder if Bill is hesitant because he really does not have anything behind Cam or Mac. I wonder if Stid was healthy if there would have been a different approach.

It will take probably 6 pages to copy/paste it after reformatting.

I read it and it's fantastic.

The quality of writing and the in-depth nature of The Athletic is tremendous and well worth the small fee. I promote it where I can, they deserve it.

Not that it matters but I had designs on this type of platform for epic sportswriters of all fandoms back in 2000. I just got really busy with my business and never took it to fruition. Feeling a bit left out on that part. LOL

I don't think BB wants this first preseason game to feed the Cam vs. Mac debate too much. I can see him giving both a couple of series, then stick Hoyer in and just evaluate everyone else.
Now game 2 and game 3, maybe each QB gets a half to really see what they can do (and even the first drive of the 2nd half for that half-time-adjustment thingy

Harris deserves to be the top back...but, he's injury prone. Michel is no Chubb, but, he's not a bust though. Blount 2.0 should be a great back. It'll be interesting how they all will be used.

Mac has been signing autographs with the number 10.
Mike knows his number will be 10 but he doesn't feel free to disclose it out of respect for the Patriots organization who have yet to disclose it.
Says a lot about Mike Reiss if you ask me.

Mac has been signing autographs with the number 10.
Mike knows his number will be 10 but he doesn't feel free to disclose it out of respect for the Patriots organization who have yet to disclose it.
Says a lot about Mike Reiss if you ask me.
His number at Bama.

Looks like the honor system!

E8lZdVyXEAA9x4C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back