Pregame thread - Patriots vs Washington (Preseason game 1) Thursday, 8/12/21, 7:30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's fine but why then did Cam not correct him? Having Covid symptoms was a huge freaking deal last year as it meant Cam would have to miss more time if he was indeed symptomatic. Someone lied. Either Cam or Bill or possibly both.
You asked a question, then immediately provided a pretty darn good potential answer, don't you think?

Note: If he was asymptomatic, I fail to see why he would have fallen so far behind mentally, as he could have been videoconferencing in at meetings, having regular sessions with relevant coaches, working out, going through mental progressions and visualization, and throwing in his back yard, watching film, etc. Is it the same as being there? No, but the Patriots have the resources they'd need to basically put him on the field during practice...as long as he felt up to it.

Who knows? I'm just saying it's certainly plausible.

The season was compromised before it began. Most knew this.
Really? The Patriots were expected to win 9-10 games last season and compete for the division or be a WC. In short, they were predicted to be a playoff team. Vegas determined that before the season based on their roster; handicappers don't give coaches themselves much consideration. What I mean is that the 9-10 win total already had Belichick baked into it.

The narrative as I heard it, as I have little doubt led by folks like you and John, was this:
  • Because of Belichick's greatness, the Patriots will make the postseason.
  • The Patriots will improve as the season goes on and be really good down the stretch.
  • The Patriots have a team of blue collar football players who will never quit.
  • The Patriots run a tight ship and will be better than the rest when it comes to Covid prevention and next man up.
Every single thing turned out to be the opposite. The Patriots underachieved all year. A 9-win projected team won 7 games and finsihed third in the division. They got much worse down the stretch and collapsed in December. The team quit on numerous occasions with embarrassing home blowout losses.

So here you are today, with the nice white wash "but, but, we knew we were compromised." LOL Hindsight is a funny thing, isn't it?

Asiasi showed COVID fog during yesterday's practice even though he hasn't admitted to having COVID.

TE Devin Asiasi​

There is certainly something to be said for an athlete experiencing a “Covid fog” of sorts. Many athletes who have recovered from Covid-19 say that it took them a while to get back to feeling like their normal selves.

I’m not speaking for Devin Asiasi at all when I say this, but it should be mentioned.

In his second day back off of the Coronavirus reserve list, Asiasi did not look like an NFL tight end. In positional drills he had moments where he had to double down on reps and dropped a few passes during team drills. Bill Belichick said the team was easing him back into things and one would assume that they will continue after the performance they saw today.

yeah it will be interesting to see. someone has to play QB in the 2nd half. I bet hoyer plays alot of the 2nd half
I was just thinking Cam gets the first quarter with the 1's, Mac gets the second quarter with the 1's for a bit then the non-starters AND Mac plays the rest of the game...

I was just thinking Cam gets the first quarter with the 1's, Mac gets the second quarter with the 1's for a bit then the non-starters AND Mac plays the rest of the game...
I been mulling how Bill will do this and the combinations were getting longish. Thursday will definitely be interesting to watch. Also, Washington is interesting not just on their last season but the name change and all. Curious maybe is the right word.

Asiasi showed COVID fog during yesterday's practice even though he hasn't admitted to having COVID.

TE Devin Asiasi​

There is certainly something to be said for an athlete experiencing a “Covid fog” of sorts. Many athletes who have recovered from Covid-19 say that it took them a while to get back to feeling like their normal selves.

I’m not speaking for Devin Asiasi at all when I say this, but it should be mentioned.

In his second day back off of the Coronavirus reserve list, Asiasi did not look like an NFL tight end. In positional drills he had moments where he had to double down on reps and dropped a few passes during team drills. Bill Belichick said the team was easing him back into things and one would assume that they will continue after the performance they saw today.

Or he might just not be very good or completely out of football shape from the lay off. I mean Occam's Razor, right? The most obvious, simplest answer is usually the correct one?

Or he might just not be very good or completely out of football shape from the lay off. I mean Occam's Razor, right? The most obvious, simplest answer is usually the correct one?

Yep. He had COVID. Simplest answer.

I'll have my eye on all the new guys on D. Reports are that Uche has made a big jump this year in TC.
But the big story is if Cam had covid last year and how bad was it. Maybe we will know this by the first quarter. :deadhorse:

No, the question is why did Cam start so well, to the point where pundits were asking how the other teams could have let the hoodie have such a QB for so little money, and then his play collapsed suddenly. I mean what could have caused this? Was there a particular event that happened that was the bridge between these two phases? Hmmmmm, I wonder what it could have been?

Last edited:
he's a she.
SpPXOQ9k_400x400.jpeg

No, the question is why did Cam start so well, to the point where pundits were asking how the other teams could have let the hoodie have such a QB for so little money, and then his play collapsed suddenly. I mean what could have caused this? Was there a particular event that happened the was the bridge between these two phases? Hmmmmm, I wonder what it could have been?

Coincidental, isn't it?
Cam never said he didn't have COVID despite what Mazz reads into his remarks. His father spoke before symptoms appeared, a well-documented COVID gap of 2-3 days, and the media ran with it. Cam danced all around when asked questions about it but never ever answered the question in a way that could have been construed definitively as he did or didn't have COVID. He went out of his way to own the blame for his poor play which is an admirable thing imo and it's certainly Patriot-like. For the fan on the street, the only way Cam's collapse makes sense is that COVID screwed with his head. I know that to be true bc I was told that by more than one person who saw or worked with Cam every day inside Gillette. Cam had COVID and it knocked him for a loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back