Random Football News 2022

I said it on another thread, it's stunning how many of these NFL coaches cannot manage the clock in pressured situations. And it's not as if they're on their own other there. They are connected to an army of assistant coaches etc.

I said it on another thread, it's stunning how many of these NFL coaches cannot manage the clock in pressured situations. And it's not as if they're on their own other there. They are connected to an army of assistant coaches etc.
There are a lot of "smart" coaches out there with very little real experience relatively speaking.

Last edited:

There are a lot of "smart" coaches out there with very little real experience relatively speaking.
...and it matters. Experience, I mean. I generally think that my performance is pretty pressure-agnostic. I feel it, but I don't think my performance tends to be either better or worse under pressure to any significant degree. And I've experienced quite a lot of it in my professional life, in sports, and in what are now hobbies but did include paid performances on stage to some pretty significant audiences.

My first season coaching football really tested that. There are so many things to consider and do after each play, and unless your pure operations are super-crisp...well, let's say those prescious seconds between plays go by faster than any other seconds in my life. Now, I was in my first year as an assistant, one of a 5-man coaching staff just at jr. High level, but when the HC got suspended he said he wanted me calling plays and taking the HC role on game day.

It went fine (2-2 during his suspension and 4-6 overall with no real horrific errors), but having command of all the different factors on every play was insane, and adding clock management as a critical focus in those sorts of situations was a helluva adjustment. I don't think anything except doing it prepares you. Having really crisp assignments for the coaches and smooth operations buys back some of those seconds, but until you're the one making the call in real time...there's no way to simulate it. Especially because it tends to be in those situations where you need to override the normal operations.

Let's just say that I have a lot of sympathy for first time head coaches. Nothing about being an assistant prepares you for being on the clock in the same way, and any real or perceived mistake can be incalculably costly in terms of your team buying into you knowing what is best for the team and for them individually.

And also, crappy youth sports parents can go eff themselves with a dildo of rusty steel wool.

...and it matters. Experience, I mean. I generally think that my performance is pretty pressure-agnostic. I feel it, but I don't think my performance tends to be either better or worse under pressure to any significant degree. And I've experienced quite a lot of it in my professional life, in sports, and in what are now hobbies but did include paid performances on stage to some pretty significant audiences.

My first season coaching football really tested that. There are so many things to consider and do after each play, and unless your pure operations are super-crisp...well, let's say those prescious seconds between plays go by faster than any other seconds in my life. Now, I was in my first year as an assistant, one of a 5-man coaching staff just at jr. High level, but when the HC got suspended he said he wanted me calling plays and taking the HC role on game day.

It went fine (2-2 during his suspension and 4-6 overall with no real horrific errors), but having command of all the different factors on every play was insane, and adding clock management as a critical focus in those sorts of situations was a helluva adjustment. I don't think anything except doing it prepares you. Having really crisp assignments for the coaches and smooth operations buys back some of those seconds, but until you're the one making the call in real time...there's no way to simulate it. Especially because it tends to be in those situations where you need to override the normal operations.

Let's just say that I have a lot of sympathy for first time head coaches. Nothing about being an assistant prepares you for being on the clock in the same way, and any real or perceived mistake can be incalculably costly in terms of your team buying into you knowing what is best for the team and for them individually.

And also, crappy youth sports parents can go eff themselves with a dildo of rusty steel wool.

People say Bill Belichick is a genius in these types of scenarios. He isn't he just works his ass off, constantly putting himself, his coaches and his players through every scenario thinkable that may come up in a game. And he does it over and over again. Allied to his experience, that's what it takes. Bill would have made a brilliant battlefield commander.

I agree with you that it's an incredibly difficult job.

Read that it's a good year if you want to draft a QB, about 20 players are NFL worthy as starters/backups.

Bad year if you're looking for offensive tackles (but it's early and players can emerge and underclassmen can submit for the draft)

Going to Pats steelers game this week. Easybigfella & BMooney . Have to do a hot wings challenge at jiggys pub. Then next week Indy KC with chiefs fan. & st elmo steakhouse afterwards. I have to wear a Chiefs Jersey 🤮. I made him wear a pats jersey to Jets game. When Brett favre was the QB.

Last edited:
Read that it's a good year if you want to draft a QB, about 20 players are NFL worthy as starters/backups.

Bad year if you're looking for offensive tackles (but it's early and players can emerge and underclassmen can submit for the draft)

It's definitely way too early to tell. Usually each year there's a ton of hype on players and the "next so and so". Some do wind up becoming early round prospects while the others end up being late round draft picks or undrafted rookies that amount to nothing despite the preseason/early season hype.

Going to Pats steelers game this week. Easybigfella & BMooney . Have to do a hot wings challenge at jiggys pub. Then next week Indy KC with chiefs fan. & st elmo steakhouse afterwards. I have to wear a Chiefs Jersey 🤮. I made him wear a pats jersey to Jets game. When Brett favre was the QB.
You must have Amazon Prime dew...

i don't have any issue with people having plastic surgery. but...i think it can become a fixation/addiction and go past the point of improvement. he's there now.

steve bannon stephen GIF

Back