Random Football News

This was a really good article on BR about Patricia and what went on at Detroit. it was written before the firing, but you can see the writing on the wall. It's a long article but it's an interesting topic on why Bill's Patriot Way does not travel well to other teams via former assistant coaches.

Little things stand out in the article. Patricia would not allow music to be played in the Lockerroom, jewellery was forbidden and he watched them like hawks on their social media activity, calling them out in team meetings for posts they liked etc. Bill has never done that. There is no issue with music with Patriots layers, they do whatever they like on Social Media and there are no issues with wearing jewellery as we saw when Cam played the Dolphins this season.

What the article doesn't say, is that Bill is not the tyrant the article hints at. He's actually a lot more flexible and approachable than people think with a very dry sense of humour the players like. Look at the Randy Moss invitation to Bill to their Halloween party as an example.

B'OB and Patricia have failed in trying to bring the 'Patriot Way' to other teams, but their failure is with them alone and their personalities. Bill is unique, you can't just transplant what he does to other teams. Flores is one coach who looks like he will succeed because he's smart enough to be his own person.

View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2917777-how-matt-patricias-patriot-way-went-the-wrong-way-in-detroit

Last edited:
That was a good read, thanks.

I'm not sure if Matty P is a good coach or not, but if you hire a disciplinarian to replace a "players coach" you are going to have this kind of situation.

The Lions will hire another Players Coach, in a year or 2 the inmates will be running the asylum, they'll fire him and hire a hard ass, and the whole cycle will continue.

Remember when this used to be us?

Yet the Broncos had to play with no official QB and at one point the Raiders game was moved up when they had covid cases. NFL is a joke, they favor teams that are doing good (like the Steelers) for revenue.

I’ll never forget the hit Vince made in that Buffalo game. Can’t remember who he hit, but it was epic.

I know y’all remember.

Fuller got popped for being Fuller shit (drugks)...conveniently he got popped after the Tejans released Stills. Oops. :coffee:

Pretty decent article from our old friend Scott Pioli about next year and the cap, nothing really earth shattering, but some nuggets anyway.

Somewhat football related (what a retired Patriot is doing now).

Could you imagine Cowher coaching J E T E.

AFC East Notes: Edelman, Jets, Dolphins

December 7th, 2020 at 7:35pm CST by Ben Levine
Matthew Slater is in the midst of his 13th NFL season. With the Patriots currently spending a week on the West Coast, the California (and UCLA) product is appreciating what could be the final homecoming of his career.
“I don’t know how many more chances I’m going to have to play football in California, where my dreams started as a kid. It certainly means a lot,” Slater told ESPN’s Mike Reiss. “For our team, it’s another game, and they’ll be the two biggest games of the season. It certainly carries a little extra significance for me, especially the second one, needless to say.”
Yesterday’s game against the Chargers marked Slater’s first game in Los Angeles since his final season at UCLA in 2007. As Reiss notes, Slater’s father, Jackie, spent 19 of his 20 NFL seasons playing in Los Angeles for the Rams.
The 35-year-old special teams ace has spent his entire career on the opposite coast in New England. Slater has earned three Super Bowl rings, eight Pro Bowl appearances, and five first-team All-Pro nods. He also earned a spot on New England’s 2010s All-Decade Team.
Some more notes out of the AFC East…
  • One of Slater’s teammates won’t be returning to the field very soon. ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that wideout Julian Edelman is “still a couple of weeks” away from rejoining the Patriots. The 34-year-old landed on IR back in October after undergoing knee surgery, and he was recently placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list. Edelman, who has 21 receptions for 315 yards this season, is still planning to play again in 2020, according to Schefter.
  • A surprising name has popped up as a potential suitor for the inevitable head coaching vacancy with the Jets. WFAN radio host Boomer Esiason suggested that former Steelers head coach Bill Cowher could be an option for New York. “He was saying to me yesterday, he’s the one that told me the Jets job is going to be really attractive, and they could hire whomever they want, and he told me he loves [G.M.] Joe Douglas,” Esiason said (via Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com). Cowher hasn’t coached since the 2006 season. He currently holds a 149-90 record, and he won a Super Bowl championship with Pittsburgh in 2005.
  • The Dolphins auditioned running back Elijah McGuire recently, according to Schefter (on Twitter). The former Jets sixth-round pick has bounced around the NFL a bit, including a stint on the Cowboys practice squad that ended back in October. The 26-year-old has appeared in 24 career games (five starts), rushing for 591 yards and four touchdowns. He’s also added 36 receptions for 370 yards and two scores.

Could you imagine Cowher coaching J E T E.

AFC East Notes: Edelman, Jets, Dolphins

December 7th, 2020 at 7:35pm CST by Ben Levine
Matthew Slater is in the midst of his 13th NFL season. With the Patriots currently spending a week on the West Coast, the California (and UCLA) product is appreciating what could be the final homecoming of his career.
“I don’t know how many more chances I’m going to have to play football in California, where my dreams started as a kid. It certainly means a lot,” Slater told ESPN’s Mike Reiss. “For our team, it’s another game, and they’ll be the two biggest games of the season. It certainly carries a little extra significance for me, especially the second one, needless to say.”
Yesterday’s game against the Chargers marked Slater’s first game in Los Angeles since his final season at UCLA in 2007. As Reiss notes, Slater’s father, Jackie, spent 19 of his 20 NFL seasons playing in Los Angeles for the Rams.
The 35-year-old special teams ace has spent his entire career on the opposite coast in New England. Slater has earned three Super Bowl rings, eight Pro Bowl appearances, and five first-team All-Pro nods. He also earned a spot on New England’s 2010s All-Decade Team.
Some more notes out of the AFC East…
  • One of Slater’s teammates won’t be returning to the field very soon. ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that wideout Julian Edelman is “still a couple of weeks” away from rejoining the Patriots. The 34-year-old landed on IR back in October after undergoing knee surgery, and he was recently placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list. Edelman, who has 21 receptions for 315 yards this season, is still planning to play again in 2020, according to Schefter.
  • A surprising name has popped up as a potential suitor for the inevitable head coaching vacancy with the Jets. WFAN radio host Boomer Esiason suggested that former Steelers head coach Bill Cowher could be an option for New York. “He was saying to me yesterday, he’s the one that told me the Jets job is going to be really attractive, and they could hire whomever they want, and he told me he loves [G.M.] Joe Douglas,” Esiason said (via Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com). Cowher hasn’t coached since the 2006 season. He currently holds a 149-90 record, and he won a Super Bowl championship with Pittsburgh in 2005.
  • The Dolphins auditioned running back Elijah McGuire recently, according to Schefter (on Twitter). The former Jets sixth-round pick has bounced around the NFL a bit, including a stint on the Cowboys practice squad that ended back in October. The 26-year-old has appeared in 24 career games (five starts), rushing for 591 yards and four touchdowns. He’s also added 36 receptions for 370 yards and two scores.
Coach spit? I thought he would have got the Carolina job instead of Rivera a few years ago. You would think that the Jete would want someone that Shaggy wants...but, who knows?

Back