Random Football News

Turns out they ended up paying Dak after the team imploded without him. Not surprised, but I am a tad shocked at the amount of money.

A good QB isnt a guarantee for success, but you wont stay relevant for several years without one. One can offcourse argue Dak isnt at that level.

Turns out they ended up paying Dak after the team imploded without him. Not surprised, but I am a tad shocked at the amount of money.

Don't be. That's where the QB market is right now. More importantly, look at the structure of the contract and the guaranteed amounts & when they're paid out.
Dak's contract has a $22.2M cap hit for 2021. That's great for the Cowboys in this lower cap year. Jimmy G, Matt Ryan, Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, and Teddy Bridgewater are just a few who have higher 2021 cap hits per Spotrac. Jerry has the money to pay $105M the 1st two years so that's no sweat. The only issue for Jerry I see is the no tag clause at the end of 4 years. If Dak wants to leave, if Jerry doesn't give him better weapons and a better team, he can leave.

One can argue if he's worth that kind of investment. Personally, I think so just because a franchise QB, the leader of a team & face of a franchise, is hard to find. What Dak needs is exactly what Brady needed with the Pats in 2019. He needs receivers and this contract allows some additions, even this year. Jerry has a 2 year window before Dak's borrowed cap begins coming due but that's spread out 6 years to 2026 & not 4 years, because those last 2 years are voidable.

Jerry has his work cut out for himself - he needs to build this team fast. They need to add a CB or 2, receivers, OL & front 7 in FA and the draft. Now Jerry gets to do the fun stuff.

Jerry needs to keep good WRs for the future.
And a TE.
And a much better OL.

Now he can keep the WRs, get a better TE and still improve the D.

In the end, Prescott clearly won. But was it the right call on the Cowboys’ part to hand out that massive deal?

The answer is yes. Absolutely. Prescott may not be on the same tier as Patrick Mahomes, but he is a top-10 NFL quarterback. Half of the teams in the league would kill to be able to hand that kind of money to a passer of Prescott’s caliber.

With Prescott locked up for the future and set to fully recover from the gruesome ankle injury that ended his 2020 season, we can start talking about the Cowboys becoming legitimate Super Bowl contenders within the next few years.

There’s a narrative that teams can’t win long-term once they pay a quarterback the big bucks. However, as my colleague Eric Eager has explained, what matters most is how much a team invests in its passing offense and how much value they get on a per-dollar basis at the relevant positions.

The first season of the Mike McCarthy era in Dallas was nothing short of underwhelming. Expectations were high early on in the season when Prescott was healthy, and it was quite obvious the team didn't meet them.

Prescott was the seventh-highest-graded passer in the NFL over the first five weeks of the 2020 season. He led the league in deep passing yards with 507, and the Cowboys were among the 10 best offenses in successful pass play rate.

This wasn’t much different from the 2019 season when Prescott was one of the three most valuable quarterbacks in the league, according to PFF WAR.

Last edited:
Bucs just signed Lavonte David to a 2 year extension. So much for my pipe dream of him joining the Patriots.

Contract with 3 voidable years making his cap hit only 3,5m for 2021. I think well see more of those deals

Jerry is banking on the cap soaring after the new TV deal for the next 3-4 years. :coffee:

In fact, most GMs are banking on that and it should happen.

Dak wanted a 5 year deal.
In the end, 2020 was the FT and now he got his 4 year deal = the 5 years he wanted so he could be a FA again.

Back