Random Thoughts

Congratulations if booze caused problems in your life. Truly, congrats.
I was drinking a beer after getting my crews up in the morning. Having another before I mustered them at 8:00. Another at 10:00 before inspecting their stations. Then catching the bus to San Francisco and Drinking $.50 20 oz mugs of Olympia until 1:00 am closing. Then I graduated to Rusty Nails from 2:00 to 1:00. You can only be hit by so many taxis before the real damage starts.

Last edited:
I'm old enough to know what carbon paper is.

I'm also old enough to remember that a floppy disk was 5 1/4", not 3.5'"......and there are adults today that don't know what I'm talking about at all.

I'm also old enough to remember that a floppy disk was 5 1/4", not 3.5'"......and there are adults today that don't know what I'm talking about at all.

I just received a checkbook with carbon paper copies. Lol I also recently ran into an old painting business associate still using proposal forms for estimates with carbon paper for copies. Wow!

So I have another spider I am watching. I call it Sabrina, Not sure how it grows but it does. I just say hi and leave it alone.
Some of you may remember Sammy.

but a little more active as I observe.

still such patience, but it is working...

Last edited:
So I have another spider I am watching. I call it Sabrina, Not sure how it grows but it does. I just say hi and leave it alone.
Some of you may remember Sammy.

but a little more active as I observe.

still such patience, but it is working...
is sammy dead?

I remember those, and the 8" floppies too.

I started working with computers when the most common mass storage device was magnetic tape. The standard back in the 1970s was 1600 bits per inch (bpi), but that was later improved to 6250 bpi.

Inter-record gaps were 1/2" unmagnetized spaces on the tape; inter-file gaps were 1".

When movies were made during that era that had a technical elements, what was usually shown were spinning tape drives.

1690807699700.png

I had a file cabinet in my office where programs I had written were stored as decks of punch cards, and the data they processed was kept on magnetic tape.

Those were not "the good old days" - it took a lot of time and effort to write and debug a program. A typical sequence consisted of punching up the program, taking it down to the computer area and handing it to a computer operator to be included in that night's run of batch jobs, followed by getting a printout the next day that said your program didn't compile because you didn't start one of the statement lines in column 7, which was required for FORTRAN compilers.

It was a necessary step in the evolution of technical work, but thankfully it's in the rear-view mirror now.

I still own an original mac.it's upstairs in a spare bedroom. Last I checked, still powered up. So cool when those came out, i was good on it.

I remember the fortran days... mostly trekked to that area in the middle of the night. college. PITA. one comma or whatever, it wouldn't do what it was supposed to. quite frustrating, made me realize something about myself, I wasn't cut out for that.

I remember cussing it out.. after lots of cards

Last edited:
All these NFL RBs complaining about how the position is undervalued and underpaid need to go work on a masonry crew building foundations in the southeast during the summers. Then get back to me on the hundreds of thousands/millions they get for a job that high schoolers do for free.

one other thing about me. you gotta understand what is going on and the consequences.
not random. just truth.

undeniable truth,

up to you.

Last edited:
Stephen Hawking's final speech to humanity.

"Remember to look to the stars and not at your feet...Where there is life there is hope."

Good morning world, let's make it a good one!

View: https://youtu.be/VYxjumUhji0

🔥

Back