Random Thoughts

Umm, I remember my math teachers and older folks like my parents refusing to let us use calculators for schoolwork cuz, "You won't always have a calculator with you".

How'd that prediction work out?

That same calculator device we all carry in our pockets always comes stock with a calendar.

Never cared for learning much math but love math theory.

Never cared enough to learn the 30/31 day thing, never found any value in knowing it.

I do absolutely know this, however, "Android loves me, this I know, cuz my Samsung devices tell me so". 😆
I learned Trig and Calculus with no calculator. When I entered college the math professor saw me using the pi chart to do the work. Before I took the test I did a circle and broke it down. My HS teacher taught us how to use it as we remembered the fractions and numeric number attached to it.

I got a 100. She called me to her office. She said I didn't belong in the class if I could do that math without a calculator. She did the paperwork for me to skip two classes and get credit for it.

In computer class, I saw everyone take out their calculator for the first test. It was allowed. I did it by hand, got 100. The instructor was impressed, especially since some with calculators did badly.

#MathandScienceNerd.

I learned Trig and Calculus with no calculator. When I entered college the math professor saw me using the pi chart to do the work. Before I took the test I did a circle and broke it down. My HS teacher taught us how to use it as we remembered the fractions and numeric number attached to it.

I got a 100. She called me to her office. She said I didn't belong in the class if I could do that math without a calculator. She did the paperwork for me to skip two classes and get credit for it.

In computer class, I saw everyone take out their calculator for the first test. It was allowed. I did it by hand, got 100. The instructor was impressed, especially since some with calculators did badly.

#MathandScienceNerd.
One of the hardest courses that I ever took in college was a combination of trigonometry calculus, advanced, algebra, and calculus all mixed up in one course. It lasted for three weeks four days a week three hours a day, and each night was the equivalent to a weeks worth of homework. I remember needing a whole sheet of paper to do one problem sometimes both sides.:rofl: I needed this course to get my degree in environmental science. It was the only thing that was in my way. I needed a C+ or higher so I could have the grade transferred. The only experience I had was beginner, algebra and I wasn’t even at the intermediate level yet. I worked around the clock for three straight weeks and I ended up with a C+ and I receive my degree. One of the single greatest accomplishments of my life.

One of the hardest courses that I ever took in college was a combination of trigonometry calculus, advanced, algebra, and calculus all mixed up in one course. It lasted for three weeks four days a week three hours a day, and each night was the equivalent to a weeks worth of homework. I remember needing a whole sheet of paper to do one problem sometimes both sides.:rofl: I needed this course to get my degree in environmental science. It was the only thing that was in my way. I needed a C+ or higher so I could have the grade transferred. The only experience I had was beginner, algebra and I wasn’t even at the intermediate level yet. I worked around the clock for three straight weeks and I ended up with a C+ and I receive my degree. One of the single greatest accomplishments of my life.
My hardest class was Physical Chemistry. It was a combination of all the physics, math and chemistry classes I had taken to date and more. I remember the first day of class for part one, we had 23 students. Some were cocky physic majors who lasted under two weeks. They were cocky since they told us they would pass after having one year of basic chemistry. We knew better. I just smiled at them. At the end of the first semester we were down to three students. Dr. Williams was a Howard Univ man who never gave an A or B for the first semester ever. I got B+. He was not happy but impressed.

The kind of test you get in P. Chem is you get one problem with maybe 8-10 parts. Each step you have to derive the calculas function and chemistey or physic law needed for the first part. Every other step you are deriving yet again.You make one misstep or use the wrong formula you are screwed. I would easily have about 10 pages. Yup, the endless pages for homework. Oh, vey. 🤣🤣 And no one can help since who else knew this damn class? 🤣🤣

I had motivation. I was paying for my college education. I switched to chemistry at the end of my sophomore year and was determined to still finish on time due to $$$. The next 4 semesters( counting summer school) I carried 21-22 credit hours while on work study and a part time job. My senior year I had 10 hours left per semester but made it 12 to keep my financial work study. If I failed P Chem it mean coming back an extra year for 8 hour total. I wasn't up for that. I did what I needed to do to pass that class to graduate.

#MathandScienceNerd.
Yeah, well, I balanced my check book!!

My hardest class was Physical Chemistry. It was a combination of all the physics, math and chemistry classes I had taken to date and more. I remember the first day of class for part one, we had 23 students. Some were cocky physic majors who lasted under two weeks. They were cocky since they told us they would pass after having one year of basic chemistry. We knew better. I just smiled at them. At the end of the first semester we were down to three students. Dr. Williams was a Howard Univ man who never gave an A or B for the first semester ever. I got B+. He was not happy but impressed.

The kind of test you get in P. Chem is you get one problem with maybe 8-10 parts. Each step you have to derive the calculas function and chemistey or physic law needed for the first part. Every other step you are deriving yet again.You make one misstep or use the wrong formula you are screwed. I would easily have about 10 pages. Yup, the endless pages for homework. Oh, vey. 🤣🤣 And no one can help since who else knew this damn class? 🤣🤣

I had motivation. I was paying for my college education. I switched to chemistry at the end of my sophomore year and was determined to still finish on time due to $$$. The next 4 semesters( counting summer school) I carried 21-22 credit hours while on work study and a part time job. My senior year I had 10 hours left per semester but made it 12 to keep my financial work study. If I failed P Chem it mean coming back an extra year for 8 hour total. I wasn't up for that. I did what I needed to do to pass that class to graduate.
AND SHE IS A PUBLISHED AUTHOR....:notworthy:
you kick ass, woman!

To try and compare Mac Jones stats from 2022 with ant playoff team is just stupid. Mac was doomed from the day Matt Patricia took control (if that is what you can really call it)
Look at the Rookie years for each
Mac Jones first 2 seasons

Passing​

YEARTEAMGATTCOMPPCTYDSAVGLNGTDINT1st1st%20+SCKSCKYRATE
TOTAL3196364066.567987.175362430431.6946247289
2022New England Patriots1444228865.229976.848141112728.7423423184.8
2021New England Patriots1752135267.638017.375221317734522824192.5
Jalon Hurts first three seasons

Passing​

YEARTEAMGATTCOMPPCTYDSAVGLNGTDINT1st1st%20+SCKSCKYRATE
TOTAL45104064862.379067.691441935333.91127744092.2
2022Philadelphia Eagles1546030666.5370186822616535.95238231101.6
2021Philadelphia Eagles1543226561.331447.39116914333.1442615087.2
2020Philadelphia Eagles15148775210617.281644530.416135977.6

"Mac Jones actually had better passing stats in 2022 than Jalen Hurts."

That wasn't me that stated that. I figure the poster must have a different definition of "better" than I do. :shrug-n:

This is Matrix movie star Keanu Reeves. He was abandoned by his father at the age of 3 and grew up with 3 different stepfathers. He is dyslexic. His dream of becoming a hockey player was shattered by a serious accident. His daughter died at birth. His wife died in a car accident. His best friend, River Phoenix, died of an overdose. His sister battled leukemia.

No bodyguards, no luxury houses. Keanu lives in an ordinary apartment and likes wandering around town and often seen riding a subway in NYC.

When he was filming the movie "The Lake House," he overheard the conversation of two costume assistants, one crying as he would lose his house if he did not pay $20,000 - On the same day, Keanu deposited the necessary amount in his bank account. In his career, he has donated large sums to hospitals including $75 million of his earnings from “The Matrix” to charities.

In 2010, on his birthday, Keanu walked into a bakery & bought a brioche with a single candle, ate it in front of the bakery, and offered coffee to people who stopped to talk to him.

In 1997, some paparazzi found him walking one morning in the company of a homeless man in Los Angeles, listening to him and sharing his life for a few hours. In life, sometimes the ones most broken from inside are the ones most willing to help others.

This man could buy everything, and instead, every day he gets up and chooses one thing that cannot be bought: To be a caring person. Simple Acts of Kindness

View: https://twitter.com/TaraBull808/status/1651248866510139406

Not all of this is true. He owns a huge mansion and a bunch of motorcyles and fancy cars.....but most of it is accurate, and some remains not said...

He had a very difficult childhood.

I
This is Matrix movie star Keanu Reeves. He was abandoned by his father at the age of 3 and grew up with 3 different stepfathers. He is dyslexic. His dream of becoming a hockey player was shattered by a serious accident. His daughter died at birth. His wife died in a car accident. His best friend, River Phoenix, died of an overdose. His sister battled leukemia.

No bodyguards, no luxury houses. Keanu lives in an ordinary apartment and likes wandering around town and often seen riding a subway in NYC.

When he was filming the movie "The Lake House," he overheard the conversation of two costume assistants, one crying as he would lose his house if he did not pay $20,000 - On the same day, Keanu deposited the necessary amount in his bank account. In his career, he has donated large sums to hospitals including $75 million of his earnings from “The Matrix” to charities.

In 2010, on his birthday, Keanu walked into a bakery & bought a brioche with a single candle, ate it in front of the bakery, and offered coffee to people who stopped to talk to him.

In 1997, some paparazzi found him walking one morning in the company of a homeless man in Los Angeles, listening to him and sharing his life for a few hours. In life, sometimes the ones most broken from inside are the ones most willing to help others.

This man could buy everything, and instead, every day he gets up and chooses one thing that cannot be bought: To be a caring person. Simple Acts of Kindness

View: https://twitter.com/TaraBull808/status/1651248866510139406

Not all of this is true. He owns a huge mansion and a bunch of motorcyles and fancy cars.....but most of it is accurate, and some remains not said...

He had a very difficult childhood.

As far as I understand Keanu is the very definition of a great human being.

Re-reading Richard Russo's novels. Fine novelist. Author of Pulitzer for fiction, The Empire Grill, and Straight Man, which has become Lucky Hank. His first novel was Mohawk and the Imperial We are reading that now. This is more of a random fact than random thought, but looking for spot to dump it.

A main character in Mohawk is one Mather Grouse. His name in full appears repeatedly throughout the novel. Every damn time it does, all I see is Mother Goose. For real. Random enough?

Cheers, BostonTim

Back