Rd 1, #29 - Cole Strange, IOL, Chattenooga

Lazar is diligent no need to pile on him. McVay's honest reaction tells everything. This is widely seen as a massive over reach by 50 picks. And don't turn it into a fake argument of whether Strange would be there at #54. Could have traded back 10-15 picks, gotten more picks, and still gotten their guy if it was Strange no matter what.

YOU. DO. NOT . KNOW. IF. ANYONE. WANTED . TO. TRADE. UP .

For the last month all I’ve heard is that this draft is weak on excellent players and has a vast amount of solid players, from picks 20-60.

As a result, it was thought by many that there wouldn’t be much trading up. The fact that BB fleeced the Chiefs should be good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No. They call you a troll because of your history attacking everything Belichick does. That steals credibility from your posts on this particular subject.
And, the use of the term "*****" is a dead giveaway: Felger owns the copyright on that derogatory term for blindly loyal Patriot fans. Now, so much more from the past suddenly makes so much more sense. Yes, It's a clear case of a "Felger ****"...

How about we talk about this pick, what he can do, what are his weaknesses, any tape on him, etc and etc and etc and what he brings to the Pats without the attacks? I know, novel idea.

YOU. DO. NOT . KNOW. IF. ANYONE. WANTED . TO. TRADE. UP .

For the last month all I’ve heard is that this draft is weak on excellent players and has a vast amount of solid players, from picks 20-60.

As a result, it was thought by many that there wouldn’t be much trading up. The fact that BB fleeced the Chiefs should be good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Conveniently forgotten by DropKick.

I am sure MAZZ will figure out that BB is stupid because we now have to pay those additional draft picks.

Money we should have used to keep Brady...:sleep:

OK, I'm over my initial disappointment with this pick. The more that I find out about him the better I feel. Still wouldn't have been my choice at 29 but willing to see how it works out.
What have you learned? I haven't had time to check into him at all.

That, strangely, he came from Chattanooga as a starting guard WITH 2 extra draft picks in his suitcase! Every flippin' draft prognosticator and Bill Belichick hater completely missed these extra attributes.

They don't even look in the suitcases at the combine, do they?

Bill did.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I really don't get myself worked up about this. It's Bill, I'll trust what he does and not get my knickers in a twist. This guy is plainly a good football player.

I kind of like all the ridicule for the pick as a motivator. If he's as fiery as they say he is, he's going to be playing with a chip on shoulder to prove to everyone he was worth it. He's probably bench pressing cars right now as I type this. Even though it really won't change the opinion that they could have picked him much later, he's not going to see it that way.

I hear you. I'm not saying wait till 3rd or even roll the dice waiting till #54. It's safe to say they could have traded down further. It's a false argument to debate whether he would be there at #54 or the 3rd round, to justify taking now as the only choice. Could have traded back 10 spots and still gotten this guy...

He did trade down 8 picks, maybe there were no takers that BB liked the compensation they were offering. If a team offered 38 and 262 would you give them that or just make the pick? I would not give another team, especially an AFC team something for nothing.

Anyon

Anyone that's actually followed my posts would know that isn't true,

The only idiot here is anyone that thinks we've done anything to improve this defense.
Eh? re-signing Carl Davis? Peppers? Bringing back D-Mac? Mack Wilson? We have McGrone and Perkins to start this year as well...

Last edited:
He's a player without any flaws to his game. Good mover and plays with good bend. Not the biggest but has good anchor and has a solid hand punch. Will not be pushed back by bigger players. Has good football IQ and plays with his head on a swivel.

Let the banshees wail all they want. Nobody knows that Cole Strange was sure to be a 3rd rounder, but it's nice to see McVay cackling like a punk.

I'm going to try to keep this brief, but I went to bed pissed and tossed and turned. The pick was a shock and my first thought that it was Bill
telling Bob Kraft to go fuck himself and that represented the beginning of the end. While that is still a remote possibility I've considered the big picture and
am waiting for the horses to cross the finish line before I declare the one I bet on a loser.

First, I realized a couple of weeks ago that getting a top Guard is the biggest need we had, not Corner, LB or WR. They're all needs, but we
absolutely needed to address the position seriously and went out and got Joe Thuney or the nearest facsimile available.

That is who Strange reminds me of in playing style. A more aggressive version of Thuney. He's fast, athletic and fluid. He's got a good punch
and played every position on the OL. His ability to spring out of his stance and beat a defender to a spot (AKA reach) is excellent and compares well with
Tyler Linderbaum, who was the best I'd seen this year. His upper body strength could be better and will need work, but Strange is not a big
program kid who has already been maximized. Despite being almost 24 he is still an ascending talent who will likely respond well to being
in our program, which is a long way from Chattanooga.

I found a nice, long interview here in which Strange details the weight gain program he was on prior to the draft. Among other things, he talks
about why he wears an old-school wire cage facemask and hates knee braces.

Like our 1st round pick last year, Strange earned a 4.0 grade average in College and, aside from Terrell Owens, the Chattanooga Mocs program can claim
none other than Ward Cleaver (Hugh Beaumont) as an alum.

I was aware of Strong, but never took him seriously for us because he was an older, small-school prospect who I had seen getting his ass kicked
by Travis Jones in Senior Bowl drills. I decided to rewatch them this morning and, to be fair, he kicked a few asses of his own as well. Maybe I was
bit hasty but the competition was fierce and everybody seemed up and down as the one-on-ones went along.

I feel much better about Cole Strange than I did when I heard the announcement.

You're going to continue to hear a lot of gloom and doom about the pick, but consider this scouting report as a counterbalance:

Excellent combo blocker who transitions easily. Very smart with his angles. Plays with a wide base and trusts his lower half. Natural lower body flexibility
helps his leverage. Precise with his initial strike and uses good hand strength to maintain his control. Remarkable accuracy when he gets to linebacker
and safety territory. He's able to change directions well to adjust and still make landfall. Very fluid in transition. finds opportunities for work. Balance and core

strength stand out. Very smart approach to the game overall. Doesn't have many holes.

Info is hard to find here in the "BB is a moron for using his scouting department for info rather than the ESPN/NFLN/PFF/etc mock drafts" thread, but BB says he was the top player on his board even at 21:

(Highly recommend giving this a listen, remarkably open about his reasoning)

“Yeah, he [Strange] wouldn’t have lasted much longer.”

“Yeah, well, if we had stayed at 21, then we would have obviously picked somebody,” Belichick said. “Probably a good chance it would have been him. I don’t know, there were several teams that we talked to prior to when we made the trade. There were some other conversations going on there, but ultimately that’s the one we chose. Glad Cole was there when we picked, and as I said, feel like we made the best decision that we could at 21.”

Let the banshees wail all they want. Nobody knows that Cole Strange was sure to be a 3rd rounder, but it's nice to see McVay cackling like a punk.

I'm going to try to keep this brief, but I went to bed pissed and tossed and turned. The pick was a shock and my first thought that it was Bill
telling Bob Kraft to go fuck himself and that represented the beginning of the end. While that is still a remote possibility I've considered the big picture and
am waiting for the horses to cross the finish line before I declare the one I bet on a loser.

First, I realized a couple of weeks ago that getting a top Guard is the biggest need we had, not Corner, LB or WR. They're all needs, but we
absolutely needed to address the position seriously and went out and got Joe Thuney or the nearest facsimile available.

That is who Strange reminds me of in playing style. A more aggressive version of Thuney. He's fast, athletic and fluid. He's got a good punch
and played every position on the OL. His ability to spring out of his stance and beat a defender to a spot (AKA reach) is excellent and compares well with
Tyler Linderbaum, who was the best I'd seen this year. His upper body strength could be better and will need work, but Strange is not a big
program kid who has already been maximized. Despite being almost 24 he is still an ascending talent who will likely respond well to being
in our program, which is a long way from Chattanooga.

I found a nice, long interview here in which Strange details the weight gain program he was on prior to the draft. Among other things, he talks
about why he wears an old-school wire cage facemask and hates knee braces.

Like our 1st round pick last year, Strange earned a 4.0 grade average in College and, aside from Terrell Owens, the Chattanooga Mocs program can claim
none other than Ward Cleaver (Hugh Beaumont) as an alum.

I was aware of Strong, but never took him seriously for us because he was an older, small-school prospect who I had seen getting his ass kicked
by Travis Jones in Senior Bowl drills. I decided to rewatch them this morning and, to be fair, he kicked a few asses of his own as well. Maybe I was
bit hasty but the competition was fierce and everybody seemed up and down as the one-on-ones went along.

I feel much better about Cole Strange than I did when I heard the announcement.

You're going to continue to hear a lot of gloom and doom about the pick, but consider this scouting report as a counterbalance:

Excellent combo blocker who transitions easily. Very smart with his angles. Plays with a wide base and trusts his lower half. Natural lower body flexibility
helps his leverage. Precise with his initial strike and uses good hand strength to maintain his control. Remarkable accuracy when he gets to linebacker
and safety territory. He's able to change directions well to adjust and still make landfall. Very fluid in transition. finds opportunities for work. Balance and core

strength stand out. Very smart approach to the game overall. Doesn't have many holes.
You could have saved me some typing if you had posted this 3 minutes earlier:lol:

Back