Report: Darrelle Revis ?doesn?t want to play anymore?

Mazz22

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies.
Reaction score
Report: Darrelle Revis “doesn’t want to play anymore”

LOL. It just keeps getting worse for the Jests. Or maybe this is a blessing? They will eat $6 mil next year for him but then be done.

Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis may be ready to go to a different kind of island — the kind where one retires.

According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, a confidant of Revis said the veteran cornerback’s decline this year was tied to a lack of desire, and that his days with the Jets may be drawing nigh.

“He’s done,” the confidant said. “If he had his way, he’d be done right now. He doesn’t want to play anymore. He’s made a lot of money.” [Always about the money]

Of course, without knowing the confidant or his motivations, it’s hard to know if that’s a career plan or a statement borne out of frustration, with a season that hasn’t gone as planned for anyone.

He sounded less than committed to the future earlier this week when he said: “We’ll see how it goes.” That’s a far cry from this summer, when the 31-year-old cornerback said he was “going to play until the wheels fall off.”

Perhaps they have, as his play has declined all season.

But the Jets still have to make an expensive decision this offseason, as they could save $9 million of cap space by cutting him, unless he wants to take a pay cut. He’s never shown any indication that’s anything he’d consider, but if his motivation is lacking, it’s also reasonable to wonder if the Jets want him to.

Selfish. Guy signed a contract and won't honor the terms. If this were really true, he should walk away and give back any future money to the Jets.

But that won't happen.

He is trying to get cut so the money remains his, I wonder if he retired today would he owe money back to the jets or would they just be happy to rid themselves of him?

He is trying to get cut so the money remains his, I wonder if he retired today would he owe money back to the jets or would they just be happy to rid themselves of him?

He would not owe any money back since there was no signing bonus in the contract. However, if he retired at the end of the season, the Jets would not be on the hook for the $6M guaranteed portion for '17. But if he somehow forces them to cut him instead, they would still owe him the $6M.

Of course one must bear in mind that any NY sportswriter is utterly reliable and would never, ever, make stuff up.

Selfish. Guy signed a contract and won't honor the terms. If this were really true, he should walk away and give back any future money to the Jets.

But that won't happen.

I think he was done after he won the ring with us but knew he could swindle the Jests one last time. Normally I would say that is selfish and akin to stealing but given he did it to the Jests, I save bravo! :toast:

I'll start by saying, I love Revis. One of the top CBs of all time. First ballot HOFer and I'm glad he'll be going in as a Jet. That being said, this last signing was a typical Woody Johnson move to try to sell tickets (much like the inevitable Tony Romo signing will be). Thanks for the memories Revis, time to call it a day.

First ballot HOFer and I'm glad he'll be going in as a Jet.

That's not the way it works. This is from an HoF-related website:

Enshrinees do not go into the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a member of a certain team. Rather, all of an inductee's affiliations are listed equally. While the Baseball Hall of Fame plaques generally depict each of their inductees wearing a particular club's cap (with a few exceptions, such as Catfish Hunter), the bust sculptures of each Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee make no reference to any specific team.

I'll start by saying, I love Revis. One of the top CBs of all time. First ballot HOFer and I'm glad he'll be going in as a Jet. That being said, this last signing was a typical Woody Johnson move to try to sell tickets (much like the inevitable Tony Romo signing will be). Thanks for the memories Revis, time to call it a day.

Whereas I agree with you, I just want to bring up a point of accuracy-

for those who have never been to Canton (I was fortunate enough to go several years ago), unlike the baseball HOF player busts are non-team specific. Teams that they have been affiliated with are listed on the base of the bust. Sure, Revis will always be remembered as a Jet, but Tampa (he played there, right?) and New England will be there as well.

Whereas I agree with you, I just want to bring up a point of accuracy-

for those who have never been to Canton (I was fortunate enough to go several years ago), unlike the baseball HOF player busts are non-team specific. Teams that they have been affiliated with are listed on the base of the bust. Sure, Revis will always be remembered as a Jet, but Tampa (he played there, right?) and New England will be there as well.

And of course his most memorable career highlight will be the ring he won the Pats. Nutkick

i think he was done after he won the ring with us but knew he could swindle the jests one last time. Normally i would say that is selfish and akin to stealing but given he did it to the jests, i save bravo! :toast:
+1

That's not the way it works. This is from an HoF-related website:

I understand how it works. I just can't see him going in as anything other than a Jet. Unless of course, the Bucs or Pats offer him some money.

I hate the laundry he wears, I think him for his service but until he retires and replaces that Jets ass Bart Scott, he is dead to me.

I get that part...but, when he was a Pat...at least he was good. Having the Jets get screwed on his latest deal (by cheating) is the frosting on the cake...or whateva.

I understand how it works. I just can't see him going in as anything other than a Jet. Unless of course, the Bucs or Pats offer him some money.
Yeah I assume the number of Pats or Bucs fans making the trip to Canton to hear his speech to be at a minimum unless he goes in with a Patriots player. Then I expect riots in the streets - no cats and dogs living in Harmony crap.

Back