Report: Patriots moving on from Belichick per Tom Curran

Some people have forgotten his days at Colorado. Vance Joseph was also there and got involved in some stuff.
And Vance got hired as head coach for the Broncos so his past does not mean anything anymore

Jesus, for a guy stuck in the 80s/90s, he sure has been successful in the Noughties and 2010s!

And he was head coach where his QB set all kinds of passing records and a 2007 season that saw an attacking offense never seen before...

But yeah, he's a caveman,

Well, I've been visiting Chiefsplanet a little this week and have discovered that the real reason he was "successful" was all due to
cheating. All of it. It's amazing.

These folks are hard-core believers that all of it was fraudulent.

Fascinating.

welcome2thaInternet.jpg

Jeff Howe joins the Tom E. side that Belichick is gonzo, although Howe cites no sources that say that. He simply uses generalities and the bad record to deduce BB is gonzo.

As tension and uncertainty mount inside Gillette Stadium, the New England Patriots are staring down a stretch run that will have historic ramifications for the direction of the franchise.

Many in the building have been looking over their shoulders, recognizing head coach Bill Belichick’s job is at stake and wondering who else is auditioning for jobs in Foxboro or elsewhere.

While it surely appears owner Robert Kraft is prepared for a split after the season, a continued string of strong defensive showings, signs of life from quarterback Bailey Zappe’s offense and an eradication of game-swinging mistakes could conceivably swing Kraft’s thinking in the other direction. Games against the Kansas City Chiefs, Denver Broncos, Buffalo Bills and New York Jets still carry weight with the Patriots’ old guard.

Kraft may be hard-pressed to jettison Belichick if the Patriots somehow use their win against the Steelers to propel them into a few more to save face in the final month.

It just feels like too strong of an if with too much to overcome — a roster with too many holes, an offense without an identity and a building that seems more focused on the future than the present.

This is a good time to point out that Sportsmedia people don't get sued for libel and can say pretty much whatever they
want anytime they want. Chumming the water is part of the job description and Curran pissed the rest of them off by
throwing the first bucket of fish guts over the rail and is probably sitting there with a big-ass smile on his face at all the
exploding monkeys across the land.

I guarantee that he's getting calls from every sports talk station in the country, but if he's wrong (or worse, lying) nothing
much will really happen to him, other than he has to make some shit up to cover his ass while he keeps a poker face and
act all contrite for a while. Maybe he'll lose his NESN TV gig, but he'll land on his feet.

I'm sticking with the opinion that he is making this one up.

This is a good time to point out that Sportsmedia people don't get sued for libel and can say pretty much whatever they
want anytime they want. Chumming the water is part of the job description and Curran pissed the rest of them off by
throwing the first bucket of fish guts over the rail and is probably sitting there with a big-ass smile on his face at all the
exploding monkeys across the land.

I guarantee that he's getting calls from every sports talk station in the country, but if he's wrong (or worse, lying) nothing
much will really happen to him, other than he has to make some shit up to cover his ass while he keeps a poker face and
act all contrite for a while. Maybe he'll lose his NESN TV gig, but he'll land on his feet.

I'm sticking with the opinion that he is making this one up.
I tend to agree with you here. Until I hear it from R. Kraft or BB himself it just isn't based on any facts

AKA, FUCK Curran.
Why? If you're being honest with yourself, it's pretty difficult to not see this as a likely outcome. The only scenario I can see Bill staying is if he gave up GM duties and I doubt he would be willing to do this. He's still a great coach but there's no way to excuse his decisions over the last 4 years.

Why? If you're being honest with yourself, it's pretty difficult to not see this as a likely outcome. The only scenario I can see Bill staying is if he gave up GM duties and I doubt he would be willing to do this. He's still a great coach but there's no way to excuse his decisions over the last 4 years.
It's time for a fresh start for everyone.

Phil Perry says Kraft has NOT decided to move on from BB.

So, there.

Phil Perry never signed on to Curran's claim that a decision had been made to fire or move on from Belichick. I found that unusual in the sense that they are TV and podcast buddies who are seen together so often. Perry said "It would be right of them to ask if BB is the right guy to lead the team in 2024 and beyond" but that's as far as he'd go to support his buddy.

Now, according to PP, he is purposely separating himself further from Curran's report. There's a reason for him to go out of his way to do that.

Until I hear it from R. Kraft or BB himself it just isn't based on any facts

I might believe it if Mike Reiss posted it but I'd still give him a call to verify his account wasn't hacked. (for the newbies here, yes, I have his phone number and, yes, he takes my calls and sometimes he calls me.)

The only scenario I can see Bill staying is if he gave up GM duties and I doubt he would be willing to do this. He's still a great coach but there's no way to excuse his decisions over the last 4 years.

The Patriots FO was reshuffled in late winter of '22 when Dave Zeigler followed Josh to the Raiders. The Krafts included themselves to have a part in that reorganization and gave their approval to final product. The hierarchy was changed as shown below. It appears to me that Belichick has already given up most of his GM duties.

Matt Groh - Director of player personnel. Groh enters his 12th season with the Patriots and his first in his current position. He started out as a scouting assistant and steadily moved up the ladder through the years — to area scout, national scout and eventually college scouting director. As DPP, Matt Groh works directly with Belichick and reports directly to Robert and Jonathan Kraft. It's right there on the official website: Official New England Patriots News and Analysis
Since he reports to the owners, other teams would give Matt Groh the title GM.
Eliot Wolf: Director of scouting. The Patriots created a new position for Wolf with a new title.
After working as a scouting consultant in 2020 and 2021, he is now the Director of scouting. Eliot has a prominent role in the front office acting as liason between Belichick, Matt Groh, Cargile and Williams.

Steve Cargile: Pro scouting director. Cargile is in his second year at the job. He first arrived in February 2011 as a scouting assistant and has filled several roles before receiving his latest promotion last offseason. Steve reports to Matt Groh and Eliot Wolf.

Camren Williams: College scouting director. A former area scout who was promoted to national scout in 2021, Williams moved up another position earlier this year. He is entering his seventh season with the team as its new college scouting czar. Camren reports to Matt Groh and Eliot Wolf.

Brian Smith: Personnel coordinator. After nine seasons as college scouting coordinator and two as the assistant director of college scouting, Smith was promoted to personnel coordinator last year. He originally joined the team back in 2000 and served several roles early on — from assisting the coaching staff, to organizing day-to-day logistics, to doing “special assignment” scouting. He is an executive assistant who works on special assignments for the personnel and coaching departments.

Phil Perry never signed on to Curran's claim that a decision had been made to fire or move on from Belichick. I found that unusual in the sense that they are TV and podcast buddies who are seen together so often. Perry said "It would be right of them to ask if BB is the right guy to lead the team in 2024 and beyond" but that's as far as he'd go to support his buddy.

Now, according to PP, he is purposely separating himself further from Curran's report. There's a reason for him to go out of his way to do that.

I might believe it if Mike Reiss posted it but I'd still give him a call to verify his account wasn't hacked. (for the newbies here, yes, I have his phone number and, yes, he takes my calls and sometimes he calls me.)

The Patriots FO was reshuffled in late winter of '22 when Dave Zeigler followed Josh to the Raiders. The Krafts included themselves to have a part in that reorganization and gave their approval to final product. The hierarchy was changed as shown below. It appears to me that Belichick has already given up most of his GM duties.

Matt Groh - Director of player personnel. Groh enters his 12th season with the Patriots and his first in his current position. He started out as a scouting assistant and steadily moved up the ladder through the years — to area scout, national scout and eventually college scouting director. As DPP, Matt Groh works directly with Belichick and reports directly to Robert and Jonathan Kraft. It's right there on the official website: Official New England Patriots News and Analysis
Since he reports to the owners, other teams would give Matt Groh the title GM.
Eliot Wolf: Director of scouting. The Patriots created a new position for Wolf with a new title.
After working as a scouting consultant in 2020 and 2021, he is now the Director of scouting. Eliot has a prominent role in the front office acting as liason between Belichick, Matt Groh, Cargile and Williams.

Steve Cargile: Pro scouting director. Cargile is in his second year at the job. He first arrived in February 2011 as a scouting assistant and has filled several roles before receiving his latest promotion last offseason. Steve reports to Matt Groh and Eliot Wolf.

Camren Williams: College scouting director. A former area scout who was promoted to national scout in 2021, Williams moved up another position earlier this year. He is entering his seventh season with the team as its new college scouting czar. Camren reports to Matt Groh and Eliot Wolf.

Brian Smith: Personnel coordinator. After nine seasons as college scouting coordinator and two as the assistant director of college scouting, Smith was promoted to personnel coordinator last year. He originally joined the team back in 2000 and served several roles early on — from assisting the coaching staff, to organizing day-to-day logistics, to doing “special assignment” scouting. He is an executive assistant who works on special assignments for the personnel and coaching departments.
thank you. some of these low information posts are just🙄

I will say that Kirsch, Lazar, Deuce and Perillo think it's a firm possibility that BB will go. Those guys are not Curran; they're employees, especially of RKK. Now to be fair to them, they are not saying he will go, just that it will not be a shock if he does, and it's more likely he will go. They are saying this to their callers constantly that there seems to be just disbelief among the fans that it could happen.

But essentially, they don't know of course. And I doubt that RKK, JK or Bill really know either. I don't think any firm decision has been made just yet. it would be silly indeed if a decision has been made at this stage. These last few games are actually very important.

Last edited:
So you think BB has suddenly gone deaf, dumb and blind such that he can't see the issues and can't fix them?

Who will you bring in to completely revamp the current organization with new coaches, new FO personnel and support staff without having 2-3 more losing seasons?

I know Belichick is close to calling it quits at 71 but if the transition isn't orderly and well-planned I don't see a winning season in the near term.
Every great coach has lost their ability to connect with younger generations at some point in their career.

Listened to Bedard's podcast while driving this morning. A coup!e of his thoughts from talking to people close to Bill and others within the team...

- Belichick is likely done but he doesn't think it's written in stone either. The Krafts would want to follow recent precedent and work out a trade to the team Bill would want to coach. However, he isn't sure Bill would make it easy. Bill could easily just say fire me, I'll work out my own deal with a new team.

- He does not think Mayo will be the next coach. If they move on from Bill, he thinks the next coach will come from the outside.

- Most people around the league (and people within Foxboro) think Mayo is not ready for a HC job.

- Mike Lombardi (who does still talk to Bill) went out of his way NOT to refute Curran's report when asked about it. He said it makes a lot of sense.

- Bedard believes the Krafts (if BB is gone) will reach out to the Titans to see if anything could be worked out with Vrabel.

Take it all for what it's worth.

Listened to Bedard's podcast while driving this morning. A coup!e of his thoughts from talking to people close to Bill and others within the team...

- Belichick is likely done but he doesn't think it's written in stone either. The Krafts would want to follow recent precedent and work out a trade to the team Bill would want to coach. However, he isn't sure Bill would make it easy. Bill could easily just say fire me, I'll work out my own deal with a new team.

- He does not think Mayo will be the next coach. If they move on from Bill, he thinks the next coach will come from the outside.

- Most people around the league (and people within Foxboro) think Mayo is not ready for a HC job.

- Mike Lombardi (who does still talk to Bill) went out of his way NOT to refute Curran's report when asked about it. He said it makes a lot of sense.

- Bedard believes the Krafts (if BB is gone) will reach out to the Titans to see if anything could be worked out with Vrabel.

Take it all for what it's worth.
I hope he’s right. Mayo is not the guy, IMO. If the team is moving on from BB, the entire franchise needs to be rebooted. Mayo would be a Band-Aid.

I hope he’s right. Mayo is not the guy, IMO. If the team is moving on from BB, the entire franchise needs to be rebooted. Mayo would be a Band-Aid.

That's what he said. His attitude is if all you're doing is removing Bill and installing Mayo....then just keep Bill!

That's what he said. His attitude is if all you're doing is removing Bill and installing Mayo....then just keep Bill!
I honestly wouldn’t mind keeping him as the HC. He definitely needs to be removed from the GM position, however. Since he probably won’t do that, then it’s time for a complete restart, with him departing the team as both GM and HC.

Back