RIP David Bowie

The UK media as you can imagine is giving this blanket coverage.

RIP to a true creative genius. The Starman is amongst the stars now. Bon voyage David.

I've always been a huge Queen fan and their duet with Bowie is one of the all-time great collaborations.

For younger people who don't really know much about Bowie I recommend checking out Showtime's Bowie: Five Years.

It's really a great docu on a hugely talented and influential artist in his prime.

I just watched a concert film of his Ziggy Stardust tour at Hammersmith from way back in the day and it was really good. Can't believe he is dead.

The Boston Globe had a legendary columnist named George Frazier who often wrote about "duende" which basically means having soul or the evocative ability to give one goosebumps. He generally applied it to old guys like Fred Astaire and I recall being really surprised when he started raving about Bowie having duende. It seemed like every week he'd find an excuse to mention a guy that a lot of older people thought was a complete freak. Later, it became known that Frazier was a closeted gay man who had a huge crush on Bowie, but Frazier was dead right about Bowie's duende.

His last video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y-JqH1M4Ya8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lazarus (David Bowie)

Look up here, I’m in heaven
I’ve got scars that can’t be seen
I’ve got drama, can’t be stolen
Everybody knows me now

Look up here, man, I’m in danger
I’ve got nothing left to lose
I’m so high it makes my brain whirl
Dropped my cell phone down below

Ain’t that just like me

By the time I got to New York
I was living like a king
Then I used up all my money
I was looking for your ass

This way or no way
You know, I’ll be free
Just like that bluebird
Now ain’t that just like me

Oh I’ll be free
Just like that bluebird
Oh I’ll be free
Ain’t that just like me

I grabbed his new album on Friday and was excited. Then this. Bummer

He will be missed. He was actually not a bad actor either. Just an all around great talent.

I grabbed his new album on Friday and was excited. Then this. Bummer

Very few artists have an opportunity to write a good-bye album. Freddie got to do Innuendo, Johnny Cash's remake of Hurt is one of the all-time good-bye recordings.

This was clearly one of those. I heard "Lazarus" (above) for the 1st time this morning and it's haunting.

RIP bummer

I introduced my kids to Bowie with the movie the Labyrinth…………still one of their favorite movies. The grandkids just started watching it.

~Dee~

He just released a new album...Black Star.

He influenced many artists.

I thought he said that he felt great and stuff...

He had a great eye for music trends and worked with some of the best talent around.

RIP

Heard this on the radio as I got out the car on my way to work this morning and needless to say I was mighty shocked.

My Dad is a massive fan of Bowie and he is just blown away by his sudden passing.

RIP David Bowie an artist like no other

Very few artists have an opportunity to write a good-bye album. Freddie got to do Innuendo, Johnny Cash's remake of Hurt is one of the all-time good-bye recordings.

This was clearly one of those. I heard "Lazarus" (above) for the 1st time this morning and it's haunting.

True.

Warren Zevon knew he was on the way out when he recorded his last album "The Wind". His illness had stolen some of his voice, but his mind was still sharp enough to write a beautiful good-bye song called "Keep Me in Your Heart" that is very poignant along with "My Shit's Fvcked Up" which is a lot less beautiful, but no less poignant.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UotS7F0Orks" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

True.

Warren Zevon knew he was on the way out when he recorded his last album "The Wind". His illness had stolen some of his voice, but his mind was still sharp enough to write a beautiful good-bye song called "Keep Me in Your Heart" that is very poignant along with "My Shit's Fvcked Up" which is a lot less beautiful, but no less poignant.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UotS7F0Orks" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was about to post this.

He also covered "Knockin on Heaven's Door" on that album. As David Letterman said when he paid tribute to Warren after his passing, "He just spit in the eye of death". So true on so many levels.

Thanks for sharing Hawg. And enjoy every sandwich.

As for Bowie, what a huge talent. And his ability to appeal to so many different demographics. I know people who absolutely love his duet with Bing Crosby. And of course the tributes paid to him last year on American Horror Story. It's ironic, in the last week, I've probably watched Elsa's version of Life on Mars a half dozen times. Some stuff you just keep coming back to.

RIP David.

Even though I was never a Bowie fan, I had a lot of respect for him as a musician, he influenced a lot of musicians over the years and had a far reaching fan base.

RIP David Bowie

RIP David Bowie
- heard it early this AM - not being back at work yet I've been staying up pretty late.

I was not a big fan of his nor others from that musical era - my musical likes back then were pretty limited, by my own choice. But watching his appearance on that Bing Crosby Christmas special was instrumental in developing my appreciation for Bowie back then and he became one of my favs.

Gina

Back