RIP Kevin Turner

bideau

Offering friendly advice
Reaction score
Keving Turner passed away today from ALS.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/03/kevin_turner_former_crimson_ti.html

Former Alabama fullback Kevin Turner died at his Vestavia Hills home this morning after a long battle with ALS.

Turner, 46, was diagnosed with the motor neuron disease in 2010 after playing for Alabama and for eight seasons in the NFL during the 1990s. He was active in education about ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease.

He was placed on hospice two days ago, and was surrounded by friends and family when he passed away today. He leaves behind his wife, Allison, and three children, Nolan, 18, Natalie, 15 and Cole, 12, as well as his parents, Raymond and Myra, Turner and other family members.

Turner was a teammate of Clemson coach Dabo Swinney's at Alabama before going pro with the New England Patriots and Philadelphia Eagles. Just two months ago, son Nolan committed to Clemson.

His father, Raymond Turner, posted this on Facebook: "Just wanted to tell everyone, Myra and I lost a great son today. He will be missed so much, Thank everyone so very much over this journey we have had for all your support ,prayers. He was ready to go to Heaven, excited he said. Love y'all, and thanks God Bless."

In the NFL, Turner played for the New England Patriots and Philadelphia Eagles. In June 2010, Turner was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS. He was involved in research that links chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) to ALS, and agreed to donate his brain and spinal cord when he died. He also started The Kevin Turner Foundation.

His battle with ALS was documented in the music video for the song, "Journey On," by Ty Herndon. He and his children were in the music video with Herndon.

In 2012, Turner worked with Jon Frankel of HBO for the documentary American Man, which was about Turner's life and his ALS battle.

"What made Kevin's story appealing to me was, as successful as he was, he was not a household name outside of Patriots and Eagles fans and really avid football fans,'' said American Man filmmaker Jon Frankel in 2012. "He was the real lunch bucket guy. He literally put on his hard hat and went to work everyday."

Turner in 2012 said he had little doubt that there was a direct link between brain trauma and ALS. "I love football, always have, always will,'' Turner said in 2012. "I know that all these hits to the head have contributed to my diagnosis. I just know it."

"But it could have been avoided, I believe, by just being smarter about it,'' he said. "When you have had a concussion or you are seeing stars and hearing ringing in your head, you've got to report it to the trainers or the medical staff, and you need to take a break."

Wow, I was just talking about him and Gash back in day. RIP Kevin

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0HUYF8wFchI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RIP Kevin you were a great player

He was way too young, to be leaving us.

:frown:

Scored the OT touchdown against the Vikings in one of the best comebacks I've ever seen and kinda signaled the start of the Drew Bledsoe error.

RIP Kevin. You were a Patriot thru and thru. Thanks for the memories.

Very sad.

Sadder still in light of the bullshit that the NFL put out today in response to the NYT.

Sad to hear about Kevin Turner. He was a good player and a better person.

Also read former Pats DL Julius Adams passed away today. Another great guy who will be missed.

48 is much too young, feel terrible for his family.

RIP Kevin Turner.

Scored the OT touchdown against the Vikings in one of the best comebacks I've ever seen and kinda signaled the start of the Drew Bledsoe error.

RIP Kevin. You were a Patriot thru and thru. Thanks for the memories.

Freudian slip?

RIP Kevin.

Kevin Turner was a fun player. I believe he was one of five players in 1994 to catch 50+ passes from Drew Bledsoe. Also, he had a great game-winning catch against Dolphins, if memory serves. I think it was in overtime, the finale in 1993, to keep the fins out of the playoffs. The Patriots were planting the seeds for an era of dominance. And Kevin Turner was an integral part of that turnaround. RIP, my good man.

Kevin Turner was a fun player. I believe he was one of five players in 1994 to catch 50+ passes from Drew Bledsoe. Also, he had a great game-winning catch against Dolphins, if memory serves. I think it was in overtime, the finale in 1993, to keep the fins out of the playoffs. The Patriots were planting the seeds for an era of dominance. And Kevin Turner was an integral part of that turnaround. RIP, my good man.

Michael Timpson

Right. I just looked that up. I did notice that one Kevin Turner did however amass 8 receptions in that game. I stand corrected.

I noted to a friend at work that Turner scored the OT touchdown against the Vikings and he said, that was his only touchdown as a Patriot. I looked it up... it was his only touchdown of his career.

Amazing that someone can play such a short time with a team but still be loved by the fan base long after they depart.

RIP Kevin.

I noted to a friend at work that Turner scored the OT touchdown against the Vikings and he said, that was his only touchdown as a Patriot. I looked it up... it was his only touchdown of his career.

Amazing that someone can play such a short time with a team but still be loved by the fan base long after they depart.

RIP Kevin.

Yes. Kevin was part of the re-birth of the Patriots. Along with Drew Bledsoe. And the great Bill Parcells. But today is about KT and Julius Adams.

Very sad.

Sadder still in light of the bullshit that the NFL put out today in response to the NYT.
That is a very interesting twist, I wonder if the story was sat on until they knew Kevin was in Hospice and the end was near making the release that much more powerful.

Back