Rule Changes, Anyone?

How many levels?
At least 6 I can think of. I'd list them here but I consider it so self-evident that this was a totally moronic idea that I do not feel it necessary to defend my position.

I think they should do away with taunting penalties completely.

:shrug:
I have no problem with requiring a certain level of sportsmanship. Also if you allow taunting to be a free-for-all, you're going to see more fights because professional athletes tend to not like being taunted.

I'd like rule changes to simplify the rulebook/ do away with unique situations:
Eliminate kicking T, gotta be held by kicking team. Maybe make kicking off a little more exciting.

No chop/cut blocks allowed in any instance.

Do away/fix most rules that have an exception for the last two minutes of a half. Hate having caveats for clock postion. QB sack shouldn't stop the clock at any point of the game. Forward fumble rules should be uniform through out game.

Formation should decide eligibility not shirt numbers. Simply cross off that entire section.

I have no problem with requiring a certain level of sportsmanship. Also if you allow taunting to be a free-for-all, you're going to see more fights because professional athletes tend to not like being taunted.

I'm comfortable with that.

Edit: The fighting I mean.

Love this response to the ineligible receiver debate found in the comments of http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ate-gripe-about-ineligible-receiver-maneuver/

<cite>bbwasright says:</cite> <small>Mar 21, 2015 3:01 PM </small> “Maybe this isn’t the way to address it,” Rooney said. “The other way would be just to take more time to make sure that the defense understands what is going on. It’s probably just as easy to eliminate it.”
I agree completely with Rooney on this – if coaches took more time to ensure their players knew the rules, we wouldn’t need rule changes. Or, you could just tell coaches to stop complaining and make sure their players know what is going on during a game. Eventually, they will either figure it out or get replaced.
We always talk about how this game is like simulated battle. The players are warriors. The plays are like battlefield tactics. As a soldier, I can tell you that war is EXACTLY about deception and guile. Belichick introduced the Football equivalent of Schwarzkopf’s left hook.

I always rant about several rule changes that I think would make football better, but apparently nobody agrees with my ideas, so I'm paring things down this year to just one, or rather two rather radical changes.

It drives me crazy that in late-game situations where the clock is a factor, the offensive team (who have no timeouts left but a down to burn) can just spike the ball or chuck it out of bounds to stop the clock, but if they make a successful play downfield then they have to run down to try and set up the next play, which is usually a spike because they can't get a play called etc., etc. I don't like watching spikes. I like watching football.

I'd adopt the college rule where a first down stops the clock briefly and rewards the offensive team with 20 seconds to get themselves set. That's just enough time to keep the action rolling and give them a chance to execute a quality play.

Incomplete passes won't stop the clock in my version of football, because the offense has not earned a stoppage. That includes spikes and tosses out of bounds and I don't care where the QB is when he does it. I'd force players to make football plays at all times or it's 15 yards. Eliminate all the obvious shit. I also don't like guys heaving it up into the 10th row and would rather see them forced to challenge somebody with the ball whether they like it or not. More action that way.

I always thought that the rulesmakers had that all backwards and I know I will never see at least the 2nd part of my proposal happen. I happen to think it would be a better sport if it did.

Gotta love the Ravens and Steelers fans on that PFT article calling the Tuck Rule "Pats cheating". Good god man. :doh:

Gotta love the Ravens and Steelers fans on that PFT article calling the Tuck Rule "Pats cheating". Good god man. :doh:
Everything is "Pats cheating". If a ref makes a bad call, it's the Pats cheating (not saying the tuck rule was a bad call, just talking in general). If the scoreboard operator messes up, it's the Pats cheating. A guy urinates before a football game and it's the Pats cheating. CBS builds a restaurant with an outdoor viewscreen and that's the Pats cheating.

The thing that makes me the most angry is how willing the moronic media laps it all up and encourages people to feel this way.

Everything is "Pats cheating". If a ref makes a bad call, it's the Pats cheating (not saying the tuck rule was a bad call, just talking in general). If the scoreboard operator messes up, it's the Pats cheating. A guy urinates before a football game and it's the Pats cheating. CBS builds a restaurant with an outdoor viewscreen and that's the Pats cheating. The thing that makes me the most angry is how willing the moronic media laps it all up and encourages people to feel this way.
This whole deflated crap proved it. It equals rating gold. All the media outlets carried this story. CNN even cut there news stories to go straight to BB interview. Pats are Americas most hated team

This whole deflated crap proved it. It equals rating gold. All the media outlets carried this story. CNN even cut there news stories to go straight to BB interview. Pats are Americas most hated team

When I type patrio....into google
the first thing that pops up as a suggestion is..
"Patriots"
Second is "Patriots cheating"

Falcons & browns who were caught & admitted to cheating. Got maybe 1/4 the coverage . ESPN were the worst with there breaking news & just pure hated by there reporters .

Falcons & browns who were caught & admitted to cheating. Got maybe 1/4 the coverage . ESPN were the worst with there breaking news & just pure hated by there reporters .
I agree with your point but I think you overstate the coverage. 1/4th? No way.

All those other stories combined got maybe 1/100 of the coverage in terms of national news, sports news, and sports talk.

Back