RUMOR ALERT: Pats interested in Dan Morgan, Lito Sheppard?

BionicPatriot

Reaction score
According to draftdaddy.com the Pats are talking to the Eagles for a trade for Sheppard. Also, it says they're pissed about missing out on Thomas and they might be offering a one year incentive based deal for Morgan. Thoughts?

I'd love any of those moves. You can give a guy like Morgan a shot and a cheap contract, and replace money man with another damn fine CB.

BionicPatriot on 02-24-2008 at 08:21 PM said:
According to draftdaddy.com the Pats are talking to the Eagles for a trade for Sheppard. Also, it says they're pissed about missing out on Thomas and they might be offering a one year incentive based deal for Morgan. Thoughts?

I'd love any of those moves. You can give a guy like Morgan a shot and a cheap contract, and replace money man with another damn fine CB.

Wow! interesting...not sure about either player...but I wasn't sure about Moss either...

they need some kind of spark to the defense so would be nice if these rumors end up to be true.

Lito is a decent young CB. It wouldn't mean the Pats could pass on the idea of drafting a CB (*coughAQIBTALIBcough*), but it would give them another option.

Also, I've always liked Dan Morgan. Dude showed some SERIOUS potential in Carolina, but has just been too injury-prone since that Super Bowl. But how good/willing would he be to play in a 3-4 after being in 4-3 systems his whole career?

I think Morgan is way too injury prone to count on. But I guess if he's picked up on a small contract, it might be worth the risk. He did seem like a solid MLB, and if he is healthy he seems like a great tackler with decent speed.

Morgan on the cheap is worth a risk. Sheppard would be nice too. Talib or any other rook CB will need some seasoning as they learn to adjust to pro WR/QB combinations.

Sheppard is the cousin of current Patriots wide receiver Jabar Gaffney.

Sheppard has missed 14 games in the last three seasons due to injury.

Just sayin....

I like the idea of Sheppard. Injury prone or not, the guy can play.

Morgan seems like he's done to me, but at a low cost deal, why not?

For the record, Zach Thomas can suck my hairy ass. I'm annoyed at him for not stepping into the Miami to NE shuffle, and I really would have enjoyed rooting for him. On a slightly more serious note, I hope that there is nothing to this regarding how opposing players view BB and the Pats. Last year, it seemed like every player wanted to join NE. Now, Thomas, a guy who you would think would love to switch sides within the division, picks an inferior but still good team. Now maybe the Girls offered him a lot more money or more years, or maybe Thomas really did want to play closer to home in TX. Maybe it means nothing....

maybe the 3 million offer was that much more than the Pats Offered

sign anyone you want for cheap money, if they are cut prior to the season only the signing bonus counts

according to King the two offers were something like this
6. Zach Thomas' signing, for the money that cap-pinched Dallas paid for him, is pretty risky. The Cowboys paid Thomas $1 million to sign, a $1 million base salary, with $1 million in potential incentives. I thought New England's offer to Thomas made more sense. That offer was something like the principle of the Junior Seau contract last year -- a salary of approximately $1 million, plus an additional bonus paid in one-seventeenth increments for each week Thomas would be active. For a sledgehammer linebacker who will be 35 next opening day and who finished last year unable to play because of a lingering concussion, it makes more sense to pay as you go
MMQB in SI.com

Tyler.Durden on 02-25-2008 at 05:28 AM said:
Sheppard is the cousin of current Patriots wide receiver Jabar Gaffney.

And also Jville native. Just thought I'd throw that in there for no specific reason

mikiemo83 on 02-25-2008 at 10:36 AM said:
MMQB in SI.com
This sharpens my concern that Thomas didn't sign in NE for reasons that I really don't want to hear....

That said, every player is different, one player doesn't make a pattern, maybe Thomas has sex with sheep, maybe this means nothing, blah blah blah.

I get it. And am still mildly concerned.

If we signed Lito Sheppard and drafted Aqib Talib, I would invest heavily in companies that ship tube socks into Ann Arbor.

mikiemo83 on 02-25-2008 at 07:36 AM said:
MMQB in SI.com

Yeah, but if you remember, reports were saying that Thomas wanted GUARANTEED money. If what King is reporting is true, then nothing but the million-dollar base is guaranteed, whereas Dallas gave him two mil up front with the possibility of making it 3.

Originally posted by southcarolina on 02-25-2008 at 03:16 AM
Sheppard has missed 14 games in the last three seasons due to injury.

Just sayin....

So really that puts him on par with our DB corps the last few years- an average of about 5 games missed per year.

Michigan Dave on 02-25-2008 at 12:51 PM said:
If we signed Lito Sheppard and drafted Aqib Talib, I would invest heavily in companies that ship tube socks into Ann Arbor.

It isnt signing Sheppard...its trading for him. The rumor going around Philly is that the Eagles have a woody for Asante Samuel, and if they sign him, Sheppard wuld be expendable. But as far as i can tell Lito is under contract for the next 4 seasons.

2008: $3,450,000 (2 mil base salary+1.45 mil proration; $2,900,000 dead money if cut)
2009: $4,450,000 (3 mil base salary+1.45 mil proration; $1,450,000 dead money if cut)
2010: $3,700,000 (base salary)
2011: $4,250,000 (base salary)

So its giving up Samuel, who is bigger, younger and more productive, but more exensive, and potentially trading draft picks for Sheppard who is older, less productive and has a history of injuries the last three seasons.

I dunno, i think i'd rather overpay slightly for Samuel than give up draft picks for Sheppard

southcarolina on 02-25-2008 at 03:45 PM said:
It isnt signing Sheppard...its trading for him. The rumor going around Philly is that the Eagles have a woody for Asante Samuel, and if they sign him, Sheppard wuld be expendable. But as far as i can tell Lito is under contract for the next 4 seasons.

2008: $3,450,000 (2 mil base salary+1.45 mil proration; $2,900,000 dead money if cut)
2009: $4,450,000 (3 mil base salary+1.45 mil proration; $1,450,000 dead money if cut)
2010: $3,700,000 (base salary)
2011: $4,250,000 (base salary)

So its giving up Samuel, who is bigger, younger and more productive, but more exensive, and potentially trading draft picks for Sheppard who is older, less productive and has a history of injuries the last three seasons.

I dunno, i think i'd rather overpay slightly for Samuel than give up draft picks for Sheppard

Well, so would I. But, I've resigned myself to the fact that Asante is gone. Asante is option #1 for me, of course, but it doesn't seem reasonable given what we know.

I know it isn't "signing" Sheppard, but I use the term loosely when discussing acquisitions.

Last update I saw today on the Samuels Run For The Buck, the NO Saints were in the lead for his services :eek:

PLEASE GO TO NEW ORLEANS, ASANTE! Please please please!! (assuming he's won't be playing for us, that is)

Back