Running My First Marathon

That's great. I hope you have a great experience and exceed your own expectations, and that you have great (cool) weather.

I've never gone that far - furthest for me is a half-marathon. Make sure you come back and tell us all how it went.

:toast:

Saturday in Hartford, CT.

Running for MS (my wife suffers with this awful disease)

My goal is under 5 hours but I'll be happy to finish.

Wish me luck!!!

Wow, I don't know how you do it.

I'm not in bad shape for a guy my age but I always hated running.

I walk quite a bit, but unless someone is chasing me with a knife or gun, I don't just run.

Good luck - hope you make it. I do have a couple of friends with MS, so you are doing good thing.:bow:

Wish me luck!!!
my ex ran it, around the 4 hours, said it was a nice course, not too bad. If I remember correctly the course loops back on itself so as you are running to the U-turn the fast little rabbits are coming back at you. I think that was Hartford.

anyway take care of the feet, make sure that are good, she lost all toe nails due to rain.

good luck, you got this.

Great - go for it- and all the best in your effort for this worthy cause.

Enjoy it.

Don't miss a water stop.

Go out just a bit slower that you think you're capable of.

Have fun.

Something we should be concerned with or just living the dream?

Living the dream.

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

my ex ran it, around the 4 hours, said it was a nice course, not too bad. If I remember correctly the course loops back on itself so as you are running to the U-turn the fast little rabbits are coming back at you. I think that was Hartford.

anyway take care of the feet, make sure that are good, she lost all toe nails due to rain.

good luck, you got this.

Some of mine are loosening. Little painful.

And yes, this course loops back around.

Wish me luck!!!
Very sorry to hear that your wife suffers from this dreaded disease.

Good luck man and let us know how you do!

Best wishes! (What works for me)
-Drink a glass or 2 of water an hour or so pre-race. At aid stations alternate between water and Gatorade. Consume a gel pack or shotblock once an hour with water.
-Start further back than you anticipate running. It's way better mentally to pass people than to be passed. (In small 1/2 marathons I often start dead last, with chip timing it doesn't matter how much later you start after the gun.)
-My favorite recovery drink after a race is chocolate milk, others like Gatorade, etc..

Today is your day.

King of the world.

Cheers

Here's to thinking of you PF64, hope you're doing well.

I'll be working out on some 12 oz curls in your honor.:toast:

So I finished but nowhere near where I wanted.

I got to the race at 6:30. 90 minutes to get my bearings and stretch. I was involved in a study by Quinnipiac University so I got to the QU tent at 7:00. Bloodwork and a bagel (I had a small coffee in the car during the hour ride)

My plan was to run 12 minute miles up to mile 13 and assess my situation. I started behind the 5 hour pacesetter. I don't recall passing him but I did. Early. Ran 11 minute miles for 16 miles. Felt pretty good. Water or gatorade at every station. Clif blocks every 45 minutes.

I decided to take a bite out of a protein bar that I had never eaten while running (big mistake). Within 15 minutes my stomach cramped up and I needed to find the nearest porta potty. Pretty sure the coffee and protein bar were awful ideas.

Without going into too much detail, I had to use two consecutive porta potties and my stomach was a mess for about 5 miles. At mile 22, they had candy (which I refused) and flat soda (which sounded like a good idea).

Spent miles 23 and 24 with the hiccups. I never have the hiccups. Never.

Finally in the middle of mile 25 I mustered the energy to pick up the pace.

I finished at 5:42.

Really disappointed but now I know what to expect and how to better prepare for next time. I wasn't sure if there would be a next time but I have no choice. I will break 5 hours next time.

Thanks for all the kind words and thoughts.

Back