Shula vs Belichick

Giant Octopodes

Reaction score
So I saw this article when it was written, 3 years ago. It was after Belichick had won his 4th Super Bowl as a head coach, and there was the start of a lot of the GOAT talk for him and Brady, much less for him than for Brady. Though I disagree with much of the methodology, arguments, and certainly the conclusion, it was written in a way that was relatively fair and balanced, and I respect that. However what is stunning to me is looking back on it just 3 years down the road, and seeing what a remarkable difference 3 years can make. Here is the article:

https://phinphanatic.com/2016/08/24/shula-vs-belichick-who-is-the-greatest/

Let's reexamine this, but in a way I consider more "fair", and with the past 3 years taken into account.

The Regular Season

Shula: 328 W, 156 L, .677
Belichick: 261 W, 123 L, .679

So in the past 3 years, Belichick has surpassed Shula's regular season record, in terms of winning percentage. In order to exceed Shula's percentage, Belichick must maintain an average of 11 wins a season. He has hit that mark or exceeded it every single year since 2009, and has achieved that mark or higher 15/19 years as the coach of the Patriots. The author of the original article indicates Shula's peak, before he fell off, was even more impressive, which it was. However he asserts it's common for coaches to fall off near the end of their career, with no support for that assertion, and if anything the opposite seems to be occurring with Belichick. So if we examine their peaks, we'll want to cut off the end of Shula's career, and the beginning of Belichick's. In his time in New England, Belichick has a record of 225-79, which is a mark of .740, higher than Shula's peak for the regular season.

At this point, by the way, Belichick is 6 seasons out from surpassing Shula's regular season win total, assuming he continues winning at his historic rate with this team. Personally I'll take the higher winning percentage over the higher volume stat, especially when the win total was achieved over a final 10 seasons where Shula went 89-70, with two division titles, 3 playoff wins, and 4 losses, and achieved nothing of note.

Much is made by the way of Belichick's "5 losing seasons", a carefully worded and measured metric where Shula's 4 8-8 seasons are not held against him. I'd counter that with the fact that Shula did not have a winning season 6x vs Belichick's 5x, and Belichick failed to win his division 8x total, while Shula failed to win his division 18x.

The Post Season

Shula 19 Playoff Appearances, 13 Division Titles (the original article is in error), Playoff Record 19-17 (.527), 2 Super Bowls
Belichick 17 Playoff Appearances, 16 Division Titles, Playoff Record 31-11 (.738), 6 Super Bowls

I mean this one is incredibly obvious, but he makes much ado about there being fewer teams who got into the playoffs during Shula's era. Sure, but Belichick has made the playoffs as a wild card team once, with the Browns. Shula has made it despite not winning his division (as a wild card, in other words) 5x. The times Shula missed the playoffs, it was because he failed to win his division, which every time but 1 Belichick has done so he missed them as well. This is a gaping, ridiculous, colossal win for Belichick.

Developing Great Players

In the era before Free Agency, acquiring great players was exactly the same as developing them. Personally, I'd take the fact that Belichick has not had as many all time greats as a win for him, not for Shula, considering their respective accomplishments. However I think this is a ridiculous position to argue at this time, from either side. In the last 3 years 2 players he didn't even have on his list of potentials (Randy Moss and Ty Law) have gotten into the Hall of Fame, and there are several who he doesn't have, which are writing their way into Canton with their performance now, such as Gilmore. The story isn't written yet. You can't compare folks in the hall of fame between an active head coach and one who has been retired for over 20 years. It's just a stupid to do.

Level of Coaching Competition

In here as well, he uses the coaches who are top 10 all time in wins as of now, meaning after Shula's contemporaries are all done and have finished tallying up their wins. Andy Reid, for example, was not on that list, but is now #7 all time in wins. Sean Peyton, Pete Carroll, Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh, and Jon Gruden are all active head coaches with 100+ wins, and any or all of them could be in the 200+ win range when they retire. We just don't know, their tale isn't finished yet.

He also talks about multiple super bowl champions, but that's incredibly deceiving as well, not only because some may yet win multiple championships, some already have but were not given credit (Mike Tomlin), and some Would be multiple Super Bowl champions were it not for Belichick (Pete Carroll, Mike Martz at minimum, possibly also many more who were knocked off in earlier rounds of one of his 9 appearances, it's tough to know with certainty).

Integrity

https://www.thephinsider.com/2015/5...cing-players-to-take-painkillers-to-remain-on

Welp. The phrase "he who lives in a glass house should not throw stones" comes to mind. There's also the allegations of scheduling impropriety (the Dolphins faced 2 teams with a winning record in their "perfect season" year, and their opponents had an average winning percentage of .332, and this was before position based, set scheduling), and that's just the stuff we know about.

Anyway, setting aside bogus arguments, the big thing I wanted to focus on was this: 3 years ago some thought Shula vs Belichick was actually close, based on Shula's wins, winning percentage in the regular season, and so forth. In the past 3 years, Belichick has achieved the following:

38-10 in the regular season (.791)
Passed Shula's regular season win percentage
8-1 in the post season (.888)
2 Super Bowl championships
3 Division titles, seasons with double digit wins, AFC Championship appearances, AFC Championship wins, etc.
46 total wins, cutting the distance in total wins from 100 to 55

Give it another 3 years, and let's see where things land. If he coaches for another 6, will Shula Supporters be left with anything at all to stand on?

So I saw this article when it was written, 3 years ago. It was after Belichick had won his 4th Super Bowl as a head coach, and there was the start of a lot of the GOAT talk for him and Brady, much less for him than for Brady. Though I disagree with much of the methodology, arguments, and certainly the conclusion, it was written in a way that was relatively fair and balanced, and I respect that. However what is stunning to me is looking back on it just 3 years down the road, and seeing what a remarkable difference 3 years can make. Here is the article:

https://phinphanatic.com/2016/08/24/shula-vs-belichick-who-is-the-greatest/

Let's reexamine this, but in a way I consider more "fair", and with the past 3 years taken into account.

The Regular Season

Shula: 328 W, 156 L, .677
Belichick: 261 W, 123 L, .679

So in the past 3 years, Belichick has surpassed Shula's regular season record, in terms of winning percentage. In order to exceed Shula's percentage, Belichick must maintain an average of 11 wins a season. He has hit that mark or exceeded it every single year since 2009, and has achieved that mark or higher 15/19 years as the coach of the Patriots. The author of the original article indicates Shula's peak, before he fell off, was even more impressive, which it was. However he asserts it's common for coaches to fall off near the end of their career, with no support for that assertion, and if anything the opposite seems to be occurring with Belichick. So if we examine their peaks, we'll want to cut off the end of Shula's career, and the beginning of Belichick's. In his time in New England, Belichick has a record of 225-79, which is a mark of .740, higher than Shula's peak for the regular season.

At this point, by the way, Belichick is 6 seasons out from surpassing Shula's regular season win total, assuming he continues winning at his historic rate with this team. Personally I'll take the higher winning percentage over the higher volume stat, especially when the win total was achieved over a final 10 seasons where Shula went 89-70, with two division titles, 3 playoff wins, and 4 losses, and achieved nothing of note.

Much is made by the way of Belichick's "5 losing seasons", a carefully worded and measured metric where Shula's 4 8-8 seasons are not held against him. I'd counter that with the fact that Shula did not have a winning season 6x vs Belichick's 5x, and Belichick failed to win his division 8x total, while Shula failed to win his division 18x.

The Post Season

Shula 19 Playoff Appearances, 13 Division Titles (the original article is in error), Playoff Record 19-17 (.527), 2 Super Bowls
Belichick 17 Playoff Appearances, 16 Division Titles, Playoff Record 31-11 (.738), 6 Super Bowls

I mean this one is incredibly obvious, but he makes much ado about there being fewer teams who got into the playoffs during Shula's era. Sure, but Belichick has made the playoffs as a wild card team once, with the Browns. Shula has made it despite not winning his division (as a wild card, in other words) 5x. The times Shula missed the playoffs, it was because he failed to win his division, which every time but 1 Belichick has done so he missed them as well. This is a gaping, ridiculous, colossal win for Belichick.

Developing Great Players

In the era before Free Agency, acquiring great players was exactly the same as developing them. Personally, I'd take the fact that Belichick has not had as many all time greats as a win for him, not for Shula, considering their respective accomplishments. However I think this is a ridiculous position to argue at this time, from either side. In the last 3 years 2 players he didn't even have on his list of potentials (Randy Moss and Ty Law) have gotten into the Hall of Fame, and there are several who he doesn't have, which are writing their way into Canton with their performance now, such as Gilmore. The story isn't written yet. You can't compare folks in the hall of fame between an active head coach and one who has been retired for over 20 years. It's just a stupid to do.

Level of Coaching Competition

In here as well, he uses the coaches who are top 10 all time in wins as of now, meaning after Shula's contemporaries are all done and have finished tallying up their wins. Andy Reid, for example, was not on that list, but is now #7 all time in wins. Sean Peyton, Pete Carroll, Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh, and Jon Gruden are all active head coaches with 100+ wins, and any or all of them could be in the 200+ win range when they retire. We just don't know, their tale isn't finished yet.

He also talks about multiple super bowl champions, but that's incredibly deceiving as well, not only because some may yet win multiple championships, some already have but were not given credit (Mike Tomlin), and some Would be multiple Super Bowl champions were it not for Belichick (Pete Carroll, Mike Martz at minimum, possibly also many more who were knocked off in earlier rounds of one of his 9 appearances, it's tough to know with certainty).

Integrity

https://www.thephinsider.com/2015/5...cing-players-to-take-painkillers-to-remain-on

Welp. The phrase "he who lives in a glass house should not throw stones" comes to mind. There's also the allegations of scheduling impropriety (the Dolphins faced 2 teams with a winning record in their "perfect season" year, and their opponents had an average winning percentage of .332, and this was before position based, set scheduling), and that's just the stuff we know about.

Anyway, setting aside bogus arguments, the big thing I wanted to focus on was this: 3 years ago some thought Shula vs Belichick was actually close, based on Shula's wins, winning percentage in the regular season, and so forth. In the past 3 years, Belichick has achieved the following:

38-10 in the regular season (.791)
Passed Shula's regular season win percentage
8-1 in the post season (.888)
2 Super Bowl championships
3 Division titles, seasons with double digit wins, AFC Championship appearances, AFC Championship wins, etc.
46 total wins, cutting the distance in total wins from 100 to 55

Give it another 3 years, and let's see where things land. If he coaches for another 6, will Shula Supporters be left with anything at all to stand on?

I don't mean to demean all your good work here, but f*** Shula. ROFL

I don't know. i'm told Shula's restaurants cook a pretty good steak.

Shirley that's got to count for something. :coffee:

I don't know. i'm told Shula's restaurants cook a pretty good steak.

Shirley that's got to count for something. :coffee:

ROFL and don't call me Shirley. ROFL.

Cheers

I never get steak at a restaurant. If you know a good butcher anyone can cook one. 40/40 salt pepper/20 garlic seasoning, little butter, heat to a light red in the center, done son. Pair with some broccoli soaked in olive oil sea salt and pine nuts, cooked to a light brown on the outside in an oven, bottle of red wine. Your woman will love you. Why the f... am I gonna pay 30 bucks for something I can cook as well myself. Steak is about finding a good butcher. And f... Shula and that whole 70s dolphins squad. The only good thing about time passing is we hear less and less and less from any of them.

Shula is a pathetic piece of filth who was hired by the Dolphins in an act of cheating. His lame attacks on the Patriots prove that even guys with 2 Super Bowls can be losers.

I never get steak at a restaurant. If you know a good butcher anyone can cook one. 40/40 salt pepper/20 garlic seasoning, little butter, heat to a light red in the center, done son. Pair with some broccoli soaked in olive oil sea salt and pine nuts, cooked to a light brown on the outside in an oven, bottle of red wine. Your woman will love you. Why the f... am I gonna pay 30 bucks for something I can cook as well myself. Steak is about finding a good butcher. And f... Shula and that whole 70s dolphins squad. The only good thing about time passing is we hear less and less and less from any of them.

Agree with all.

I'm fortunate to know a bazillion ranchers (family and friends included) that have amazing steaks...great point! :toast:

Good work, GO.

I hope BB surpasses Shula's win total. It wasn't many years ago it seemed totally unreachable.

Good work, GO.

I hope BB surpasses Shula's win total. It wasn't many years ago it seemed totally unreachable.
I suspect that's what BB is shooting for.

IMO, after the game had passed him by, Dan Marino was the main reason Shula lasted as long as he did. I felt he was often out coached when it counted. That 70's dynasty team was loaded, though. Even Shula couldn't screw that up.

I almost didn't open this thread. It's a non-debate like Manning v Brady. Shula was good, then mediocre and now just a douche. By even debating this we are giving him too much credit, IMHO.

Back