SI - The New No-Name Defense

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score
Or otherwise known as 'The Who?'

Ben Reiter - Sports Illustrated.

In the second year of his second decade as the Patriots' coach, Bill Belichick seems to have entered the "mad genius" period of his genius career, outdoing himself week to week in concocting ever crazier combinations of defensive players, particularly in his secondary, while still producing win, after win, after win.
Can Belichick keep the victories coming while granting regular starts to the likes of cornerback Kyle Arrington and safety James Ihedigbo, who five years ago faced each other before an intimate crowd of 9,211 in Amherst, Mass.? (Ihedigbo's alma mater, UMass, competes in the Football Championship Series; Arrington's school, Hofstra, would compete in the FCS if it still fielded a team.) Yes. What if he threw into the mix Antwaun Molden, a cornerback who was cut at the end of training camp this summer by a team, the Texans, that in 2010 fielded the NFL's worst passing defense in half a decade? Yes. How about if he used a player at nickelback—say, Julian Edelman—who until last month had never taken a professional practice rep as anything but a receiver or special-teamer and was a quarterback at Kent State? Yes.
Not mad enough for you? What if Belichick last week informed an even less accomplished receiver—Matthew Slater, who has both the bespectacled mien and the receiving résumé (one catch in four years) of a sophomore anthropology major—that he would be practicing with the defensive backs, and then, four days later, started him at safety against the Colts? Yes, still yes. The Patriots beat Indianapolis 31--24 at Gillette Stadium to improve to an AFC-best 9--3. Slater made seven tackles and forced a fumble. New England's orphanages have thus far gone untapped, but there is time yet.
Belichick's alchemy in the secondary has been partially forced by injury, as starting safety Patrick Chung and starting cornerbacks Devin McCourty and Ras-I Dowling have missed a combined 19 games. But only partially. In the past three months the coach has cut four veteran defensive backs—Leigh Bodden, Darius Butler, Brandon Meriweather and James Sanders—who, even if deemed no longer worthy of starting, might have provided experienced depth. More broadly, Belichick has been rebuilding his defense since 2007, when the Patriots' perfect season was spoiled by the Giants in Super Bowl XLII, and he committed to the project in earnest after the Tom Brady--less Pats missed the playoffs the following season.
Now his unit has picked up a nickname: The Who. No active New England defender other than the indomitable tackle Vince Wilfork has played in a Super Bowl (page 72). Since '07 the defense has sustained the departures, sometimes willingly but mostly not, of everyone else, including linebackers Tedy Bruschi and Mike Vrabel and defensive end Richard Seymour, each of whom played in all four of the Super Bowls Belichick has reached, and All-Pros such as safety Rodney Harrison, cornerback Asante Samuel and defensive end Ty Warren. To replace such well-known names, Belichick has populated his roster, on both defense and offense, with uncomplaining, grateful players—the type of humble nonstar he has always loved but never more than now.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1192867/index.htm

Lots more...

Wow! That "Slater-the-receiver" meme has really taken on a life of its own. I wonder if anyone even remembers that Devin Hester was also drafted originally as a DB/returner?

I remember last year after the 1st Miami victory we were proclaimed as the no name defense, and some members here thought it was too early to tell, rightfully so. I think now's a great time for it, especially the random DBs we have in and out of the roster.

This defense doesn't warrant a nickname.
Yes we have no-name players, but most of them arnt very good. We are last in almost every single passing category.
Look back to the real no-name defense, they had no-name players but were also number 1 in almost every category, if I recall correctly.
Having an amazing offense and only being good in the red zone doesn't make us a good defense and most definitely doesn't warrant a nickname.

I perfer to call this a patchwork defense. A lot of the starters were street FA. When are key starters went down to injuries.

Its more like the 1 and done in the playoffs defense. Don't hate... after all we haven't won a playoff game in 4 years.

Its more like the 1 and done in the playoffs defense.

Is that your prediction? Shall we mark that down for posterity?

Because this defense isn't one and done in the playoffs. They haven't even made the playoffs yet.

It reminds me of a quilt my grandmother would make. A piece from here, a piece from there, some pieces really good and others not so much... Sure, it took a lot of work and it was ugly to look at, but it worked when winter rolled around. :coffee:

Its more like the 1 and done in the playoffs defense. Don't hate... after all we haven't won a playoff game in 4 years.

I am pretty sure we have been in a superbowl in the last 4 years, so I think they won a playoff game.

Wow! That "Slater-the-receiver" meme has really taken on a life of its own. I wonder if anyone even remembers that Devin Hester was also drafted originally as a DB/returner?

Slater may have been a DB at UCLA, but the Patriots actually drafted him as a WR.

Slater may have been a DB at UCLA, but the Patriots actually drafted him as a WR.

Not sure how that's possible. As a rookie, he was listed as a DB on the Pats' roster and, on the rare occasion that he took snaps in scrimmage play, AFAIK, they were all as a DB. Perhaps they were thinking that he could play some WR, but I haven't seen any evidence of that and I have no way of knowing for certain what they may have been thinking.

Anyway, the point is that all of the articles discussing the Pats' "New No-Name" secondary appear to imply that Slater is, and always has been, exclusively a WR/KR and one even went so far as to claim that he'd never played DB before. THAT is the meme I'm referring to and it's clearly erroneous.

Not sure how that's possible. As a rookie, he was listed as a DB on the Pats' roster and, on the rare occasion that he took snaps in scrimmage play, AFAIK, they were all as a DB. Perhaps they were thinking that he could play some WR, but I haven't seen any evidence of that and I have no way of knowing for certain what they may have been thinking.

He was definitely listed as a WR. Can't give #18 to a DB. He split practice time between Offense and Defense (at least during OTAs and probably camp) and he played some Safety in garbage time. But the Patriots always listed him as a Receiver.

Anyway, the point is that all of the articles discussing the Pats' "New No-Name" secondary appear to imply that Slater is, and always has been, exclusively a WR/KR and one even went so far as to claim that he'd never played DB before. THAT is the meme I'm referring to and it's clearly erroneous.

You're right about that. Slater was always a STer first, but he played more DB than WR in College and his Rookie season.

He was definitely listed as a WR. Can't give #18 to a DB. He split practice time between Offense and Defense (at least during OTAs and probably camp) and he played some Safety in garbage time. But the Patriots always listed him as a Receiver.

You're right about that. Slater was always a STer first, but he played more DB than WR in College and his Rookie season.

I remember going to those summer practices his rookie year. BB had Slater fielding KOs. The first 2 he whiffed badly. I remember thinking he had no chance to make the club after that lousy performance. Then he joined the WRs running routes. His first pass bounced off his stone hands. I was very surprised he survived actually.

I remember going to those summer practices his rookie year. BB had Slater fielding KOs. The first 2 he whiffed badly. I remember thinking he had no chance to make the club after that lousy performance. Then he joined the WRs running routes. His first pass bounced off his stone hands. I was very surprised he survived actually.

I didn't go to TC that year, but he looked pretty ragged early in preseason and I figured he was a goner, but then BB stuck him in the 4th preseason game and he played about 100 snaps (at least) at WR, DB, KR & gunner. He never left the field.

This is classic BB. Just throwing a kid in the fire to see how he responds and Slater hung in there pretty well and managed to survive the game in one piece. Old-time football. He was on the bubble and made the team that night by impressing the boss with his versatility and toughness, imo.

Still, I didn't know why he stuck around. I used to laugh at every kick return he made because he had zero evasiveness. He just ran full speed straight ahead and got killed at the 20. every. single. time. Then he showed up looking like a different guy this year. He's been tremendous at gunner and has made a contribution on both sides of the ball.

I am pretty sure we have been in a superbowl in the last 4 years, so I think they won a playoff game.

Jan 20th 2007 is the last time the patriots won a playoff game. This team hasn't won a playoff game in 1792 Days. That's 4 years, 10 months, 27 days.

You think i enjoy saying this? Its just facts.

Jan 20th 2007 is the last time the patriots won a playoff game. This team hasn't won a playoff game in 1792 Days. That's 4 years, 10 months, 27 days.

And it has absolutely no relevance to the current team.

1. Yeah, I think you enjoy saying it.
2. No it ain't "Just Facts". Try Jan 20, 2008.

Cheers, BostonTim

1. Yeah, I think you enjoy saying it.
2. No it ain't "Just Facts". Try Jan 20, 2008. 1428 days 3 yrs. etc.

Cheers, BostonTim

Back