So who is the QB in this years Draft that Bill is looking at?

I like the thought but the image they drew for Brady in 2022 is more like Brady in 2042. C'mon Man!

DNlgS4nXcA8p7e7.jpg

This picture makes his forehead look like the ice wall from games of thrones.

Rodgers is actually the anomaly. Top QBs play their rookie year. Most don't wait 3 years. I mean Wentz looks great in his second year as does Goff. Watson already looks like a star in his rookie season. Rodgers waited so long because the Packers had to work on his mechanics and Favre was there. If the Pats pick the right guy in this upcoming draft, he could be ready to roll in 2019 but the GOAT could push him back too.

Well Rodgers is an anomaly because he was a highly touted prospect that slid to a point where a team saw too much value and had to take him.

What is the common denominator on all of the other names above? Where were they picked? When are we expecting to pick that high again? ok, I'll admit, I forgot Wentz was a 2nd guy).

I'd still rather pick one in '18, and let him sit/learn for a couple of years.

SSDD

Well Rodgers is an anomaly because he was a highly touted prospect that slid to a point where a team saw too much value and had to take him.

What is the common denominator on all of the other names above? Where were they picked? When are we expecting to pick that high again? ok, I'll admit, I forgot Wentz was a 2nd guy).

SSDD

I think whoever we pick in '18 will be sitting for a couple of years. Brady is signed through 2019 and will most likely have his deal extended to push out his cap hits.

In terms of where we pick. The highest pick BB has made for a QB was Jimmy in the second round. That being said, if he likes a QB then I think he will trade up to get him in round 1 if he has too. Everything I would imagine is on the table to ensure we get whatever guy BB has his eye on.

Clayton Thorson, QB, Northwestern 6-4. Weight: 225.
Many scouts have said Thorson has quality mechanics with a quick delivery and he has a super strong arm, is smart, athletic, and has improved as a junior.

He throws way too many INTs. Already has nine in eight games this season.

I think whoever we pick in '18 will be sitting for a couple of years. Brady is signed through 2019 and will most likely have his deal extended to push out his cap hits.

In terms of where we pick. The highest pick BB has made for a QB was Jimmy in the second round. That being said, if he likes a QB then I think he will trade up to get him in round 1 if he has too. Everything I would imagine is on the table to ensure we get whatever guy BB has his eye on.

He has a 1 and two 2s to use as trade capital. To a smart franchise with multiple holes (ie: San Francisco), that looks pretty attractive. To Cleveland...oooh...shiny!

He has a 1 and two 2s to use as trade capital. To a smart franchise with multiple holes (ie: San Francisco), that looks pretty attractive. To Cleveland...oooh...shiny!

Cleveland needs a QB now. :coffee:

I would not think BB is going to target any qb this draft. Like all drafts, he will let the draft come to him. Maybe look to see if he tries to trade for pick 199.

the Kiser experiment is already over, 8 games into the season - that is why they are the most constant team in the NFL

Constantly bad.

They have mastered the art of drafting shitty qb's...they could just do the opposite of that and have different results.

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

I would not think BB is going to target any qb this draft. Like all drafts, he will let the draft come to him. Maybe look to see if he tries to trade for pick 199.

He is targeting the next Jordan Richards or Tavon Wilson.

Rudolph vs Mayfield Saturday FS1 @ 4.

My two early favs.

Only caught the 1st quarter and a small chunk of the 2nd but...

Hole.

Lee.

Shit!!!!!!

Dvr’d the rest and will watch.

These 2 are phenomenal prospects.

Rudolph on quick searching the day of the JG trade was listed in quite a few places as the top guy in the draft so I didn’t think he’d be an option as we don’t have the capital to secure a pick in that spot. Polished. Mature. Pure pocket guy. Great reads. Touch on his deep ball is impressive. He’s a very solid prospect I’d take in a second.

But Mayfield?

Man.

This kid pisses lightning and craps thunder. He does it all. And with the exuberance and fire that is just so motivating. Analysts were bringing up the Favre comps, but then one guy nailed it: Steve Young. That’s more who I see in him as well. Great scramble ability. Sick stiff arm on a 6 ft 200 lb S. Excellent quick release. Sees the field. Great touch on his deep ball as well. Slants in stride. Loved his play.

BTW I’d take his WR too!

https://youtu.be/iP7xVmfelsA

Only 3-4 minutes of highlights, but it’s impressive for both.

I think maybe we're looking at the top guys and the Pats MO is to typically skip all the blue chippers and seek the hidden gem.

In that vein, I mention Clayton Thorson of Northwestern and his bio is so Belichick that I'm going to make it a point to watch him. His stats are average, but the key thing is that he's got all the size and tools and plays for a terrible team with no line, no skill guys, but he's fighting his ass off anyways. He's supposed to be a smart kid with a big arm and is a devout Christian but gets along with everybody. Scouts will love the kid's makeup and according to some he could have been the 1st QB drafted if he played for a top school, but he didn't so he might hang around the board awhile. Sound familiar?

Kevin O'Connell is one guy that fit the Pats' "overcomes adversity" profile and there have been others, including a guy named Brady.

Here's a brief quote:

The 10th-ranked Badgers (4-0, 1-0 Big Ten) sacked Thorson eight times, the most the Wildcats have allowed since their 2011 bowl game against Texas A&M.

"I feel fine," Thorson said. "We lost — and that's what hurts more than anything."

He added: "I have to get the ball out whether it's throwing it away, making quicker decisions. It starts with me."

He sounds like a Patriot already. I'll put him down as a late 2nd round pick for us after 3 complex trade downs.

I did some brief stats lookup on Thorson.

Numbers sure aren’t popping.

That’s what grabbed me with JG. Pure production. 70% + passer. 50/3 TD to int. You gotta produce. I’m not a fan of speculated production translating to the pro game.

With the two I linked the production is amazing. And you see it. Now Rudolph has been considered at the top for a while so I figured he was not realistic but Mayfield had been down in the 5th-6th rated QB and I thought we’d have a chance. Not sure now. His trajectory seems on the way up. And I’d venture to guess he interviewsgreat.

One saving factor is less than ideal size. 6’1” 220. If he was 6’6” he’d be 1 overall.

I think maybe we're looking at the top guys and the Pats MO is to typically skip all the blue chippers and seek the hidden gem.

In that vein, I mention Clayton Thorson of Northwestern and his bio is so Belichick that I'm going to make it a point to watch him. His stats are average, but the key thing is that he's got all the size and tools and plays for a terrible team with no line, no skill guys, but he's fighting his ass off anyways. He's supposed to be a smart kid with a big arm and is a devout Christian but gets along with everybody. Scouts will love the kid's makeup and according to some he could have been the 1st QB drafted if he played for a top school, but he didn't so he might hang around the board awhile. Sound familiar?

Kevin O'Connell is one guy that fit the Pats' "overcomes adversity" profile and there have been others, including a guy named Brady.

Here's a brief quote:

The 10th-ranked Badgers (4-0, 1-0 Big Ten) sacked Thorson eight times, the most the Wildcats have allowed since their 2011 bowl game against Texas A&M.

"I feel fine," Thorson said. "We lost — and that's what hurts more than anything."

He added: "I have to get the ball out whether it's throwing it away, making quicker decisions. It starts with me."

He sounds like a Patriot already. I'll put him down as a late 2nd round pick for us after 3 complex trade downs.

He throws a shit-ton of interceptions. Also Garoppolo was indeed a top prospect when he came out. He wasn't just some nobody, he just went to a small school.

There’s been a shitload of early QB selections over the last couple years basically committing said teams and pulling them from early QB selection. Other teams have solid vets in place.

I’m curious to see how many teams are in the WB market in April and what our odds are of procuring another stud prospect as TBs backup.

I did some brief stats lookup on Thorson.

Numbers sure aren’t popping.

That’s what grabbed me with JG. Pure production. 70% + passer. 50/3 TD to int. You gotta produce. I’m not a fan of speculated production translating to the pro game.

With the two I linked the production is amazing. And you see it. Now Rudolph has been considered at the top for a while so I figured he was not realistic but Mayfield had been down in the 5th-6th rated QB and I thought we’d have a chance. Not sure now. His trajectory seems on the way up. And I’d venture to guess he interviewsgreat.

One saving factor is less than ideal size. 6’1” 220. If he was 6’6” he’d be 1 overall.

I haven't watched much of Rudolph, but I have seen a number of Oklahoma games over the last few years and I like Mayfield a LOT. He doesn't have size and he can be erratic and throw some real bad INTs, but he's ultra competitive and checks a lot of boxes. Drew Brees type. He could easily drop in the evaluation process, but it's hard for me to imagine that kid can't be a successful pro. Maybe even here.

He throws a shit-ton of interceptions.

Yes, he does. It's all relative. If you have no OL and no skill guys then you're playing from behind and in desperation mode often. I dunno. I'm just parroting back sort of a consensus opinion from folks that have watched him.

Personally, I don't want a devout Christian leading my team. I don't want him.

Also Garoppolo was indeed a top prospect when he came out. He wasn't just some nobody, he just went to a small school.

Yes, he was. Are you directing that at me for some reason? I've never said a bad word about Jimmy.

:shrug_n:

SSDD

You are correct, Rodgers starting or not starting his rookie year is entirely tangential to the conversation. What makes him an anomaly is that he is a HOF QB who was immediately preceded by another HOF QB. If Favre hadn't there, A-Aron would have started right away and been just as good as he is now. If Savage was even mediocre, than Watson would still probably be on the bench... and he'd be just as terrific whenever he took the reins.

Back