Somestimes, taking orders from teh wifey really sux

DarrylStingley

Boston Sports
Reaction score
Mrs. DS is insisting on a family trip (kids, mother, aunt, husbands, everyone) to central park THIS AFTERNOON.

Yes, I will watch the game later on DVR.

Yes, odds are good that I will not know who won or anything about the game when I watch it.

Still....shoot me NOW.

Have others been guilted into not watching games?

This is probably the first time this has happened in 24 years of marriage and 29 years of being together, so I can't really complain. And she doesn't say a word when I go to games in Foxboro.

But still, again, shoot me NOW.

So incredibly bummed......

Dude, it really needs to be Rule #1. I've been told by the wife that things need to usurp the Pats. She's actually quite a fan, so it comes up rarely for me, but every once in awhile some bonehead friends want to have a wedding on a Sunday afternoon or some dinner commitment pops up when the Pats are on Sunday or Monday night....

no, no, no! :wags finger:

I just invoke Rule #1. There is no more discussion. Watching the Pats is THE priority.

Oh, I'll be payin for it later no doubt - extra chores, walkin the dog, whatever. There is always a consequence for invoking Rule #1.

But it does trump everything else. You need to get that established now dude!

Mrs. DS is insisting on a family trip (kids, mother, aunt, husbands, everyone) to central park THIS AFTERNOON.

Yes, I will watch the game later on DVR.

Yes, odds are good that I will not know who won or anything about the game when I watch it.

Still....shoot me NOW.

Have others been guilted into not watching games?

This is probably the first time this has happened in 24 years of marriage and 29 years of being together, so I can't really complain. And she doesn't say a word when I go to games in Foxboro.

But still, again, shoot me NOW.

So incredibly bummed......

If you're there too long after dark, there's a 50/50 chance some mugger will take care of this for you. :coffee:

I saw a good promo for the show "Parenthood"(one of my wifes favs) this week.

Long story short, the Grandfather says "Don't worry son, your balls will be here when you get back."

In fairness to the wife, we were watching the game by 3:30 PM and we ended up not having anyone ruin it for us. Finished by 5 PM and no commercials or half time.

In the end, not bad at all.

Unlike the defense, which sucked.

In this scenerio, the only reason I would miss the game is helping her move her shit out of the house.

In reality my wife is a big fan and watches the games as intently as I do. One of the funny things I remember is that on our honeymoon, we had just gotten to our hotel in Mexico on Sunday afternoon and we sat poolside drinking and watching the Pats kick Kansas City's ass on our first full day as married folk. She got the shit end of the stick because one of her friends who is oblivious to football scheduled her 6 year old's birthday at 2PM yesterday. My wife had to bring my son to arcade where they had the party. She tried to get me to wait and watch it on DVR with her when she got back but I told her that would screw with me watching the redzone for my fantasy stats at 4. Didn't win the nice guy prize yesterday.

I print a copy of the scheulde and put it on the fridge. I call the wife over, and ask her to
study it, learn it, and understand I won't be available those dates, and times.:coffee:

And if she wants sex, we can do that at halftime, or during a 30 second timeout.

I print a copy of the scheulde and put it on the fridge. I call the wife over, and ask her to
study it, learn it, and understand I won't be available those dates, and times.:coffee:

And if she wants sex, we can do that at halftime, or during a 30 second timeout.

It's good that you're willing to accommodate her needs, as well.

To the men who are stuck with football hating wives I recommend an extra hard donkey punch... :coffee:

Agreed. BTW knee pads make a great present for the wife. Women really appreciate it when you think of them.

I wonder if they make them with the Pats logo:coffee:

So no one gets a wrong impression of my wife, this is literally the first time this happened in 29 years....She's a huge sports fan...and she was as anxious as I was to get home to watch the game.

I think what happened is that she "over-relied" on the DVR thing. We routinely watch Sox and Cs game on delay with the DVR. We start at around 9 or 10 PM for most 7 PM starts so as to avoid commercials and because we really don't have 3 plus hours for sports on mosts nights. While football is different/special, she wrongly imported our other sports (and other TV for that matter) habits into the NFL.

Wont happen again.

I couldn't even imagine missing a Pats game live and haven't done so since the advent of DirecTV in the early to mid-90's sometime. Whenever that was.

Watching a DVR'd game that had already been played would drive me nuts.

Unless I'd seen it live first of course.

I couldn't even imagine missing a Pats game live and haven't done so since the advent of DirecTV in the early to mid-90's sometime. Whenever that was.

Watching a DVR'd game that had already been played would drive me nuts.

Unless I'd seen it live first of course.

DVR is awesome. The way to work it is to go into the bunker(No outside communications) for 45 minutes after kickoff. Then you can watch most of the game while fast forwarding through pesky commercials and halftime nonsense. It is so much a better way to watch the game. I can't stand the length/frequency of long commercial breaks in an NFL broadcast. When you start 45 minutes late, and pause it for bathroom breaks, getting beer, it works out perfectly to watch the entire game with no commercial interruptions.

Back