Stanley Morgan

Roberto71

Reaction score
He really was one hell of a player. I mean playing in that era and it's taken until now for Gronk who's in his 7th season and playing with the GOAT in a dominant team to beat his TD record.

Read today a journalist saying Morgan was criminally underrated and a lot of guys from that era got into Canton and the journalist said he was better than Art Monk.

Hats off to you sir. And great touch to ring the lockerroom after the game to talk to Gronk to congratulate him.

new-england-patriots-stanley-morgan-photo.jpg

He really was one hell of a player. I mean playing in that era and it's taken until now for Gronk who's in his 7th season and playing with the GOAT in a dominant team to beat his TD record.

Read today a journalist saying Morgan was criminally underrated and a lot of guys from that era got into Canton and the journalist said he was better than Art Monk.

Hats off to you sir. And great touch to ring the lockerroom after the game to talk to Gronk to congratulate him.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MorgSt00.htm

10000+ yards, 19.2 YPC. That's 10th all-time.

IMO, absolutely a Hall of Famer, but he'll never get in because of the backlog.

At least we can watch his kid on Saturdays for now. (He's not as good)

The Hall of Fame is not about players.
It is about the voters.

The whole crew is a joke.
No Stanley Morgan
No Terrell Davis
No Randall Cunningham
Lets make Art Monk's life hell because DR Z is a moron!
- It seems like those '500 eight yard receptions' came on 3rd and 7 against my Eagles.
- The other 300 catches would be at 30 yards a pop BTW.
(We already know about the media and math/science, don't we)

Do they even know what sport they are watching?

Let's get Tony Dungy in there though.
Every team he left went to the Super Bowl without him the next year.
No one failed with great teams as much as Dungy.

Jim Kelly was a train wreck 20 TDs to 28 picks in the playoffs...
First Ballot!!!

If the Replacement is Frank Reich, his playoff WAR is a negative number.

It is about the voters.

No Stanley Morgan
No Terrell Davis
No Randall Cunningham
- It seems like those '500 eight yard receptions' came on 3rd and 7 against my Eagles.

First Ballot!!!

Two things:

1) Jim Kelly's absolutely a first ballot hall of famer. Stop it.

2) Terrell Davis shouldn't be anywhere near Canton, unless he buys a ticket to the ceremony. Unless we're putting Jamal Lewis and Chris Johnson in too, since they also ran for 2000 yards that one season. :coffee:

Everything else I'd probably agree with. Cunningham's career is super underrated.

It is about the voters.

No Stanley Morgan
No Terrell Davis
No Randall Cunningham

First Ballot!!!

Great, great post, dude. Come back more often, please. That was truly an entertaining read

Two things:

1) Jim Kelly's absolutely a first ballot hall of famer. Stop it.

2) Terrell Davis shouldn't be anywhere near Canton, unless he buys a ticket to the ceremony. Unless we're putting Jamal Lewis and Chris Johnson in too, since they also ran for 2000 yards that one season. :coffee:

Everything else I'd probably agree with. Cunningham's career is super underrated.

Davis had a 1000 yard season called 8 playoff games. (1140)
158.9 yards from scrimmage per playoff game
142.5 yards rushing per game in those playoffs
2000 yard rusher and Super Bowl MVP on merit
5.59 yards per carry in the playoffs

Guys like Barry Sanders and LaDanian got shut down in the playoffs.
(both obvious first ballot HoF guys)

TD carried his teams to a pair of Super Bowls.

I get the raw numbers argument, but I am far on the other side.
I think he earned his bust the same way Aikman did.

I think Kelly is an obvious HoF QB, but he was no Montana, Marino, Young, Brady, Manning etc. He was elite in 90 and 91 and very good the rest of the way. He gets in on volume (35k yards, 237 TDs, 101 wins) and some outstanding play.

If you give him credit for making 4 Super Bowls, I have to ask why with 4 TDs and 8 picks in those AFCCGs. He then was legendary bad in Super Bowls with 2 TDs and 7 picks.

Kelly was an absolute favorite of sportswriters, so he got in easy. While guys like Art Monk, Andre Reed, and Chris Carter waited.

I think Cunningham had more passing yards than Kelly from like 87 through 90.
If you are counting USFL then Hershel Walker should be in the hall.

I enjoy a debate on the finer points of HoF nominees. I am not doing this just to make you angry about Kelly.

It is about the voters.

No Stanley Morgan
No Terrell Davis
No Randall Cunningham

First Ballot!!!

Great, great post, dude. Come back more often, please. That was truly an entertaining read

1- OUSTANDING.

2- WHAT CHEVSS454 said.

davis gets hurt for 2 reasons, lack of longevity and the perception that denver's o-line was good for 1000yds no matter who the runner was...

that said at his peak he was as good as anybody ever.

Davis had a 1000 yard season called 8 playoff games. (1140)
158.9 yards from scrimmage per playoff game
142.5 yards rushing per game in those playoffs
2000 yard rusher and Super Bowl MVP on merit
5.59 yards per carry in the playoffs

Guys like Barry Sanders and LaDanian got shut down in the playoffs.
(both obvious first ballot HoF guys)

TD carried his teams to a pair of Super Bowls.

I'm not sure about all that. That #7 guy they had at QB was pretty damned good. So was that #80 at WR.

I get the raw numbers argument, but I am far on the other side.
I think he earned his bust the same way Aikman did.

I don't think Aikman should have been a 1st-ballot shoo-in either, but he did have three rings, and did play for 12 seasons or whatever it was.

Davis played 7, technically, but his last 3 years he had ~ 300 carries and 1100 yards and 4 TD.

I can seriously come up with a dozen RBs who had awesome 4 year runs, and probably shouldn't be in the hall of fame.

How about the aforementioned Jamal Lewis for example? 10000+ yards in 9 seasons, and a Super Bowl ring. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LewiJa00.htm

The aforementioned Chris Johnson, 6 straight 1000-yd seasons: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JohnCh04.htm

Ahman Green, Shaun Alexander, Tiki Barber, Clinton Portis, Maurice Jones-Drew, Ray Rice, the list goes on and on with RBs who have had at least as good short-term runs at the position, and almost all of them had longer, more sustained success.

I mean, I understand why you place so much emphasis on playoffs - but two things there. 1) A player can't get their team to the playoffs alone, and 2) If the HoF actually cared about playoff production, Willie McGinest would already be in the Hall of Fame (most career playoff sacks).

I think Kelly is an obvious HoF QB, but he was no Montana, Marino, Young, Brady, Manning etc. He was elite in 90 and 91 and very good the rest of the way. He gets in on volume (35k yards, 237 TDs, 101 wins) and some outstanding play.

If you give him credit for making 4 Super Bowls, I have to ask why with 4 TDs and 8 picks in those AFCCGs. He then was legendary bad in Super Bowls with 2 TDs and 7 picks.

Kelly was an absolute favorite of sportswriters, so he got in easy. While guys like Art Monk, Andre Reed, and Chris Carter waited.

1) Quarterback

2) They all eventually got in (Art Monk waiting as long as he did was ridiculous, I would have kept Cris Carter out another year, and put in a WR w/o a fall guy, and WITH playoff success, unlike Carter. I bet Stanley Morgan won more playoff games than Cris Carter. If he didn't, it's close).

3) It is Pro Football HoF, not just NFL HoF. Kelly's USFL career was disgusting. He and Reggie White were head and shoulders the two best players in the league.

I feel like you're discounting regular season performance, which is really all the NFL ever seems to care about. The voters are not the fans.

I think Cunningham had more passing yards than Kelly from like 87 through 90.
And then you didn't hear from Cunningham again until like 1998.

I'm with you on that bandwagon. Talk about a guy who put numbers up, who had NOTHING on offense with him. Mike Quick was...ok. Cris Carter was a cokehead when he was there.

If you are counting USFL then Hershel Walker should be in the hall.

I just so happen to think Herschel Walker should be in the Hall thanks to running for 5500+ yards and 50+ TDs in 3 seasons. And another like 1500 yds receiving. He made Doug Flutie a lot of money from Donald Trump.

I enjoy a debate on the finer points of HoF nominees. I am not doing this just to make you angry about Kelly.

I'm hardly angry about Kelly. That guy beat us twice a year for ten years, so **** that guy.

But the Terrell Davis thing annoys the shit out of me. Why should Davis get the Gale Sayers treatment? He never returned a kick or a punt. He only led the league in rushing once. :shrug:

Better numbers than Lynn Swann. Except for the rings.

It is about the voters.

No Stanley Morgan
No Terrell Davis
No Randall Cunningham

First Ballot!!!

No mention of Cris Carter? He never should have got in either. No way Terrell Davis should be in. Too short of a career. Just like Sterling Sharpe. Heck, Michael Irvin almost didn't make it for the same reason and he changed the position.

I don't recall the details of this - did Dr. Z have a vendetta against Art Monk?

If you could provide some more details, or point me to an article about it, I would appreciate it.

As an aside, Stanley Morgan was so damn fast and it didn't even look like he was really running hard. World class speed. He was smooth as glass and blew past guys on the regular. When you watch old film of him --watch his head. It barely moves when he was running which is a sign of a really superior athlete.

It's astonishing that Gronk did it in 7 years and Stanley played over 20.

I wonder how many Morgan would have had if Tom Brady was his QB for his entire career. 150?

Not going to go and try to comment on a bunch of stuff in this thread, but there seems to be a sub-section going on about how Terrell Davis belongs in the HOF (btw, I agree)...

...but uif we're going to start a conversation about RBs that belong in the Hall, this guy might be a pretty good one to start with-

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DillCo00.htm

I mean playing in that era and it's taken until now for Gronk who's in his 7th season and playing with the GOAT in a dominant team to beat his TD record.

Just one point of exception. Seems to me a permissible inference from the above is that it's remarkable it took Gronk this long.

With Stanley playing 2.28 times as many games as Gronk (196-86), I can't imagine how Gronk could get there any sooner. I. E. I say it's remarkable that he has arrived here as unbelievably fast as he has. :shrug:

Cheers, :toast:

Just one point of exception. Seems to me a permissible inference from the above is that it's remarkable it took Gronk this long.

With Stanley playing 2.28 times as many games as Gronk (196-86), I can't imagine how Gronk could get there any sooner. I. E. I say it's remarkable that he has arrived here as unbelievably fast as he has. :shrug:

Cheers, :toast:

Not what I was inferring. Just that Gronk is playing with the GOAT.

Not going to go and try to comment on a bunch of stuff in this thread, but there seems to be a sub-section going on about how Terrell Davis belongs in the HOF (btw, I agree)...

...but uif we're going to start a conversation about RBs that belong in the Hall, this guy might be a pretty good one to start with-

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DillCo00.htm

This is exactly what I'm saying.

You're going to keep Corey Dillon and Ricky Watters among others out, and let a guy who played for 4 years in.

Davis was good, but he wasn't Walter Payton. Or Eric Dickerson. Or Barry Sanders.

If we're putting Terrell Davis in, then Bo Jackson should get in before him.

Back