State of the Planet and Thank You

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you to all the long time members here and all of the new members that have signed up this year. This was a banner year for PatriotsPlanet. We noticed things really starting to pick up last offseason, then with the cross promotion we did with all of the rival boards this year, the exposure on The Cold Hard Football Facts and other sites, the opening of our new homepage, and finally joining the Fan 2 Fan Alliance, activity here has been fantastic.

We could see it picking up a little each and every week. Now, I am not one to get upset with posting links to other boards. I think boards that do get upset by that are too uptight and silly. I know when I was just a lurker, I would spend time at all of the busy Patriots boards. But, an interesting thing happened in the week leading up to the Colts game. I was surfing around and taking a look at all of the other Patriots boards, especially the two busiest ones, KFFL and PatsFans. What surprised me was PatriotsPlanet was holding its own in terms of active users when I happened to compare them at that time. In fact, we were virtually tied with what has always been the busiest Patriots board, KFFL (and before that Mouth-Off).

Over the next few weeks, out of curiosity and a random time each day, I would visit the other Patriots boards just to compare current activity. Leading up to the Steelers game, a surprising thing started to happen. We consistently were beating PatsFans, but more surprisingly, we started to not only be even with KFFL, but started beating them too, making us the busiest Patriots message board on the Internet. We also had our 1000th registered member here. On the Thursday before the Steelers game, we broke our record of most users online at one time with 141. One thing that is amazing about all of this is we did it without even showing up on Google's front page (or 2nd page for that matter) when you do a search for Patriots message boards.

Now, I don't point this out to boast. We are not really in competition with these other boards. There are no revenues at stake for us. This board has come such a long way from its humble beginnings, and it is thanks to YOU, all of the great members here that we are where we are. It is not the Administrators or the Moderators that make a board great, it is the membership. PatriotsPlanet is a little different in style from the other boards. KFFL has some great Xs and Os posters. We do as well, but we also have a style that is more laid-back than other Patriots boards. More of a tailgating or a bar atmosphere, where you get together with other football fans (mostly Patriots fans) and not only talk about football, but anything else of interest. It has been a real treat to see the new members this year that "get it." Those that finally dropped their lurking, or finally found us, that are happy to call PatriotsPlanet home, and intuitively understand what kind of board this is. We have even added some quality permanent trolls who seem happy to be here and "get it."

I hope you’ll stick around all offseason. Of course, we have free agency coming up. Who are going to be the new coordinators, what is going to happen to Ty Law, and the draft. But there are always other things to talk about in the offseason, and if you see something, even if its not football related, that you think others would be interested in, feel free to post it. Just remember, not everything you post will be a success, so don't get discouraged if you do not get a lot of responses. But we can usually find some fun stuff to talk about. We can all make the offseason go by a little faster. :)

Anyway, thank you for making this a great community to be a part of, and a big thank you to FallingAlice who got this train rolling (and of course Austin and Phobia from Chiefsplanet). I am looking forward to many good times here at PatriotsPlanet going forward.

You're wrong about one thing, UT. The moderators are also a key part of making it great. We're laid back around here to be sure, but the mods do have to step up from time to time to keep things from going too far south. We've had our share of posters that eventually had to be banned, or threads that needed to be locked down. It takes a good group of mods to keep things going the right way, while still letting folks have some fun, so kudos to the five of you, and those who came before (all this makes me miss FallingAlice).

Ok, shameless a$$kissing done. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

I think I was 1000th member!!!

Anyway, as a new member to site, I think this site is excellent, and will continue to visit and post.

Looking forward to future conversations on the Pats and other isses, and hopeing for a three-pete.

It's a great board. Next step is make it SUPER EXCLUSIONARY like SOSH, application process and all, so we can all look down our noses at posters from the other riff-raff boards. ;)

Undertaker #59 said:

This board has come such a long way from its humble beginnings, and it is thanks to YOU, all of the great members here that we are where we are. It is not the Administrators or the Moderators that make a board great, it is the membership.
[arsh kissing]
It takes great people to be able to moderate. Don't sell yourself short no need to be humble ;)

You,Anni,Hawg,Pook,Bid and the other 25 mods here do a great gob of maintaining control and keeping it fun.

This is the best BB I've had the pleasure of being a(small) part of. Knowledgeable fans that know how to have a good time as well.
I will be sticking around during the "off-season" (is there such a thing?)
I'll be a bigger person once I buy a tux though. My daughter said I can get one at the local salvation army for $10.00! :dance:

Quality starts at the top ( all of the mod's) and trickles down through us piss ants .
Thanks for putting up with some of my rants and mindless babble :thumb:

[/arshkissing]

Flagg Wanderer said:
It's a great board. Next step is make it SUPER EXCLUSIONARY like SOSH, application process and all, so we can all look down our noses at posters from the other riff-raff boards. ;)

lol Did you learn that the hard way? I know I did bunch of pretentious arsh wipes

Well said, UT.

You did forget one thing though. Much like Belichick you nicely avoided taking any credit for this growth and deflected it instead to others.

Just to make it clear, one of the primary reasons this board has grown has been the amazing contributions by the new moderators: Undertaker59, Annihilus and Bideau that we added last spring.

These guys have great technical chops and have done much in pioneering a new front page and setting up the f2f and generally rustling up a bunch of trolls to interact with.

Aside from the smarts, all three have shown they have what it takes in setting a tone and letting this place be the people's planet. You have no egos in this team, much like the team we follow.

As well as they have done and as much as they have done, it is the members and their thoughts and ideas that define what this board is about.

I am always amused to see a new member come right in and contribute interesting stuff and keep the convo rolling and we have seen so many good ones come in that I couldn't possibly thank them all individually here, but I am genuinely grateful to you all.

We've come a long way in a relatively short time and I can't wait to see what the future holds.

PA_PATS_FAN54 said:
lol Did you learn that the hard way? I know I did bunch of pretentious arsh wipes
No, not me. I've glanced it over from time to time, but I'm not a baseball guy, really.

Family, Faith, Football consumes most of my available time.

162 3+ hour games a year? I don't think so. I follow the Sox, know something about key players, and watch the playoffs and catch parts of games on the radio or occasionally T.V.

I take no credit for the new front page. That's all UT and Anni.

The only reason why I'm sticking around is for the compensation and to keep the other 20 mods in line ;)

What's amazing about a community like this is how distinct the on-line personalities become. When a member finally settles in and becomes comfortable, he/she starts to develop a persona that becomes unique.

I'm looking forward to another year as defending champs from today's celebration, through the draft and into training camp.

Mr.Automatic said:
You guys are missing the obvious attraction to this board: The Girlie Pic Thread! :thumb: sheeeeeeeesh

Yeah, how could you guys leave that out???????? :eek:

I mean, that's the whole reason I started hanging out here. :p

Seriously though.... The Planet can be compared to the Patriots. It all starts at the top then trickles down. I wasn't around for too long before FallingAlice left, but she is obviously the Robert Kraft. The one who had a vision and started the whole thing rolling. The mods are the Belichick, Weis, Crennel, etc. And because of the great job they do of keeping a laid back atmosphere around here, it attracts a laid back group of posters, just like the Pats ownership and coaching staff attracts and brings in the right guys to keep their program running successfully.

The Pats are the best sports franshise and the Planet is the best MB.

Hopefully both keep their success going for years to come. :thumb:

Re: Re: State of the Planet and Thank You

PA_PATS_FAN54 said:
Quality starts at the top ( all of the mod's) and trickles down through us piss ants .

HAHAHAHA!

You said piss ants. Uhh huh huh huh....

I gotta say, I'm excited about how far we've come in the last year and can guarantee you that it is genuine when the moderator team tries to deflect attention away from ourselves and back towards the membership. I can only speak for myself (we weren't all brainwashed in the lockerroom so that's why I can't speak for the other guys) - but the mod squad is just part of the general population. Initially we may have done some prodding to keep things going (especially Hawg and Pook in the early days) - but this beast has a life of it's own now and we just do our best to try and keep up.

We may not be the most polished Pats site or have all the hippest sh!t in the business on our homepage (yet!), but I do believe we have the most fun - and that's all due to the people we have posting on the forums.

All the credit goes to Falling Alice for getting this train rolling and we plan to pay due tribute to our founder in the off-season.

The thing I like the most around here is that I can tell you all to kiss my ass and you pretty much all get the joke :D - hell even a good portion of our 'trolls' get the joke. It doesn't get any better than that, and I love it here.

I'm gonna go negotiate my own contract now with UT and I'm only going to ask for $2 million a year. Unlike some, I can feed my family on that :thumb:

Re: Re: Re: State of the Planet and Thank You

Annihilus said:
I'm gonna go negotiate my own contract now with UT and I'm only going to ask for $2 million a year. Unlike some, I can feed my family on that :thumb:
Don't settle for that chump change Anni. I've been talking to my good friends (The Postons), and they feel we are both worth more than that. It's not just about the money, it's about the respect.
:)
________
free magento themes

Awesome! I only found out about this board recently through a link from redsoxnation.net, where I was talking football on their Pats board. Glad I found this outpost...

Thanks to the MODS....
You keep the boat on an even keel.

Someone has to pay for all this bandwidth and web space. To whoever that is our sincere thanks.

I also noticed threads are still available from two years ago. The off-season might be a chance for the mod's to do some house-keeping so we aren't wasting the excellent resource.

I am a newbie on here after I found this site. Everyone is awesome here and I will definately be sticking around. Kudos to you all that make this ship sail!!!!

:patriots: :patriots: :patriots:

Back