Suggestion and questions box (or Ask the Clown)

Yeah they are. Every year, I try to make at least one trip out to the coastal area (several this year), and usually go to one of the well known places like Woodman's of Essex.

Went this year and we got 2 1.5lbs lobsters and I think 3lbs of steamers. My eyes nearly fell out of my head as I was presented the bill. Won't be getting that meal again this year.
I was never a huge Woodmans fan though it's a fun place for a group gathering. But Essex is the one place in the universe for fried clams (hyperbole of course). Have eaten fried clams at Farnhams in Essex, in get this, NINE different Decades. Starting in 1949 at age 2 (Dad always bragged that I would eat anything he put in my mouth. But I love Lobster too. Went to Chauncy Creek in Kittery Point a week ago and ate a perfect 2 lb er and spent $185 for just 4 of us (and you bring your own booze, sides, dessert eyc all you get is a lobstah or fish and chips, scallops etc. I love to spring for lobsters and I never flinch. Got the check and flinched all the way home.

Cheers

Yeah they are. Every year, I try to make at least one trip out to the coastal area (several this year), and usually go to one of the well known places like Woodman's of Essex.

Went this year and we got 2 1.5lbs lobsters and I think 3lbs of steamers. My eyes nearly fell out of my head as I was presented the bill. Won't be getting that meal again this year.
I was never a huge Woodmans fan though it's a fun place for a group gathering. But Essex is the one place in the universe for fried clams (hyperbole of course). Have eaten fried clams at Farnhams in Essex, in get this, NINE different Decades. Starting in 1949 at age 2 (Dad always bragged that I would eat anything he put in my mouth. But I love Lobster too. Went to Chauncy Creek in Kittery Point a week ago and ate a perfect 2 lb er and spent $185 for just 4 of us (and you bring your own booze, sides, dessert eyc all you get is a lobstah or fish and chips, scallops etc. I love to spring for lobsters and I never flinch. Got the check and flinched all the way home.

Cheers

8/27/2021
Is blue eyeshadow still out of fashion?

:shrug-n:

I am the absolute last person to ask about fashion. I live in New Hampshire, the land of wearing shorts, work boots, and a parka in the winter.

And then secondly, I've never been a fan of makeup. (ironic coming from a clown, eh?) I would much rather see a woman's natural beauty.

Last edited:
:shrug-n:

I am the absolute last person to ask about fashion. I live in New Hampshire, the land of wearing shorts, work boots, and a parka in the winter.

And then secondly, I've never been a fan of makeup. (ironic coming from a clown, eh?) I would much rather see a woman's natural beauty.

The makeup thing is a fascinating topic to me.

I, like you, live in NH and so many have no interest in their appearance, or at least marginally so.

I am from Boston south originally and find great value in women looking their best, yet I find little of that here.

My life's love who grew up in nowhere NH always dressed so beautifully appropriate to any occasion. A pig roast, a town hall meeting, a speech before Congrees, ballet or opera, etc, and she was always the most stunning woman at every event.

My ex-girlfriend, Cindy, who is from NH also and takes great care with her looks asked this question on FB once and to a man our friends said screw the makeup and all else. They want a natural woman.

A cultural difference to be sure, which probably is what led that the plagiarist fool Mike Barnicle from the Boston Globe to once call the women in NH the ugliest in the country.

They are not ugly by nature, they just hold little value in perfecting their attractiveness.

I don't appreciate that at all and I dress as well as is appropriate to any situation, many do not.

It is what it is but I far prefer a woman who takes care to look her best.

Last edited:

I, like you, live in NH and so many have no interest in their appearance, or at least marginally so.

I am from Boston south originally and find great value in women looking their best, yet I find little of that here.

My life's love who grew up in nowhere NH always dressed so beautifully appropriate to any occasion. A pig roast, a town hall meeting, a speech before Congrees, ballet or opera, etc, and she was always the most stunning woman at every event.

My ex-girlfriend, Cindy, who is from NH also and takes great care with her looks asked this question on FB once and to a man our friends said screw the makeup and all else. They want a natural woman.

A cultural difference to be sure, which probably is what led that the plagiarist fool Mike Barnicle from the Boston Globe to once cal the women in NH the ugliest in the country.

They are not ugly by nature, they just hold little value in perfecting their attractiveness.

I don't appreciate that at all and I dress as well as is appropriate to any situation, many do not.

Hmmm.

I don't believe makeup is a necessary part of a woman taking care to look her best.

Yes, I agree, it's just that the rejection of it seems to amplify some of their ideas on beauty in general.

My best friend is a great example, she is a complete love me or leave me type, I am who I am, go screw if you don't like it country girl and I respect that to the highest degree. However she often, even in times where she thinks she is dressing up is doing no such thing and has completely caved my head in for wearing a nice shirt and Khaki's as it didn't fit our country surroundings. :)

Yes, I agree, it's just that the rejection of it seems to amplify some of their ideas on beauty in general.

My best friend is a great example, she is a complete love me or leave me type, I am who I am, go screw if you don't like it country girl and I respect that to the highest degree. However she often, even in times where she thinks she is dressing up is doing no such thing and has completely caved my head in for wearing a nice shirt and Khaki's as it didn't fit our country surroundings. :)
Hmmm, what Muse? I'm intrigued by that response my Maine and now southern friend. :)
I wrote something but deleted it. The comment below does not fully explain it like it did in the one I deleted but I have taken time to chill.

What if she did make an effort? I hope she did it for herself. What if she did a partial effort, does that count? Would you even know? What if she made no effort at all due to circumstances is she now not considered valued because she won't or can't.

So, you find little of that in your area? Really? To what degree do you know they tried, especially if you do not know their circumstances.

The second thing I bold I am going to go under the assumption that was not you but MB who wrote that.

There are a few reasons women don't dolly up but it seems this perpectual circle of women, fashion and looking good is never going away.

And, John?

This was the nicest of the two comments I wrote. :rofl:

Bottom line it is a personal opinion I get that.

But it is hard being a woman in this world.

I wrote something but deleted it. The comment below does not fully explain it like it did in the one I deleted but I have taken time to chill.

What if she did make an effort? I hope she did it for herself. What if she did a partial effort, does that count? Would you even know? What if she made no effort at all due to circumstances is she now not considered valued because she won't or can't.

So, you find little of that in your area? Really? To what degree do you know they tried, especially if you do not know their circumstances.

The second thing I bold I am going to go under the assumption that was not you but MB who wrote that.

There are a few reasons women don't dolly up but it seems this perpectual circle of women, fashion and looking good is never going away.

And, John?

This was the nicest of the two comments I wrote. :rofl:

Bottom line it is a personal opinion I get that.

But it is hard being a woman in this world.

I clearly stated that it seems to be a cultural thing. I value a well-put-together woman looks-wise more than one who has little interest in any such thing, but as exemplified by the fact that I would spend the rest of my life with my country girl best friend if she would have me even though she dresses nothing like what I appreciate, nothing superficial hanging out there at all.

The fact that I find a woman who takes care to look her best, which I hope would stem from her inner values and for herself changes little. I think it is quite sane.

My ex-wife works in a high-powered Constitual law office in Boston and dresses appropriately to the situation and that just seems right to me. She does it for herself first and foremost but also understands nobody would respect her if she rocked a mini-skirt and halter top.

I dress appropriately for any occasion and would hope my woman would as well.

I just find it interesting that these country girls who have no designs on looking their best give me a hard time for doing so. I have caved and don't dress as I prefer in these country settings as it creates dissension and nasty looks from the locals.

'm unsure of the nature of your apparent consternation on this subject, Muse.

The only women that I know that reject any and all attempts at tbeauty are hyper-feminists, and I don't think you are fully one of them.

I clearly stated that it seems to be a cultural thing. I value a well-put-together woman looks-wise more than one who has little interest in any such thing, but as exemplified by the fact that I would spend the rest of my life with my country girl best friend if she would have me even though she dresses nothing like what I appreciate, nothing superficial hanging out there at all.

The fact that I find a woman who takes care to look her best, which I hope would stem from her inner values and for herself changes little. I think it is quite sane.

My ex-wife works in a high-powered Constitual law office in Boston and dresses appropriately to the situation and that just seems right to me. She does it for herself first and foremost but also understands nobody would respect her if she rocked a mini-skirt and halter top.

I dress appropriately for any occasion and would hope my woman would as well.

I just find it interesting that these country girls who have no designs on looking their best give me a hard time for doing so. I have caved and don't dress as I prefer in these country settings as it creates dissension and nasty looks from the locals.

'm unsure of the nature of your apparent consternation on this subject, Muse.

The only women that I know that reject any and all attempts at tbeauty are hyper-feminists, and I don't think you are fully one of them.
Wow and wow.

How about the rape victim who now does not want to dress up in case in her mind it happens again because he told her she was pretty?
How about the cancer victim who is to weak to lift a hand to brush her hair and has no one to help her? Or any other disease that prevents them.

How about those who simply can not afford the items? How about the ones who do not know how, have no one to show them and might not have a computer to learn or a magazine?
How about the women who have overbearing husbands, can't get away from and they are not to look pretty so any one looks at them?

These women are hyper-feminists?

Give me a freaken damn break, JL.

I won't even touch the end of that sentence.

A cultural difference to be sure, which probably is what led that the plagiarist fool Mike Barnicle from the Boston Globe to once call the women in NH the ugliest in the country.

I dont wear make up or very rearly. I think its more of an age thing perhaps then a culutural thing... I grew up in one of the riches counties in the country. Most of the girls I went to high school didnt wear much make up either. Now thats not to say I didnt dress up...went to proms, and cotillion, and debutante balls, and my own wedding and wore very little make makeup sum blush and maybe some lip gloss. I still dress up and yes even in NH and I still dont where make up lol.

~Dee~

Wow and wow.

How about the rape victim who now does not want to dress up in case in her mind it happens again because he told her she was pretty?
How about the cancer victim who is to weak to lift a hand to brush her hair and has no one to help her? Or any other disease that prevents them.

How about those who simply can not afford the items? How about the ones who do not know how, have no one to show them and might not have a computer to learn or a magazine?
How about the women who have overbearing husbands, can't get away from and they are not to look pretty so any one looks at them?

These women are hyper-feminists?

Give me a freaken damn break, JL.

I won't even touch the end of that sentence.

You seem to have completely missed my point and I am very sorry for that.

Your anger at the subject of liking people, men, and women to look their best is a bit concerning and has me scratching my head a bit.

Since we have discussed her, let's talk about Mayim Balik. She is quite an unattractive woman to my sensibilities yet seems in word and deed to do nothing to help her looks for a purpose. And that purpose I find quite disconcerting. It Fis clear in her words and deeds that she is aying if I dress pretty that invalidates my mind. I find that to be garbage and the opposite of any real understanding of the topic. Why would anyone not want to look their best, first and foremost for themselves?

A rape victim is an outlier and ought not be the basis of any principled discussion as no other outlier should.

And I in no way have I spoken about women that can't afford it. But even if you can afford little there are ways to look the best you can for reasonable purposes, both male and female.

Seems to me those who reject any such thought have something else going on.

I dont wear make up or very rearly. I think its more of an age thing perhaps then a culutural thing... I grew up in one of the riches counties in the country. Most of the girls I went to high school didnt wear much make up either. Now thats not to say I didnt dress up...went to proms, and cotillion, and debutante balls, and my own wedding and wore very little make makeup sum blush and maybe some lip gloss. I still dress up and yes even in NH and I still dont where make up lol.

~Dee~

The issue I'm addressing has little to do with makeup, really, it is the general sentiment of screw looking my best.

Speaking as someone who thinks looking my best is a shower and clean clothes every day, WTF JL. If you showed up at a party at my place dressed to the nines, the worst you could expect is where are you going after this. No matter who the person is, the value in the person has little to do with what you wear (as long as it is clean, IMO). I put much more value in the person, not the persona.

Back