SUPER BOWL L: What's the Story?

Excellent article about Cam Newton's polarizing effect on people.
It's worth a read for those who think he showboats too much or is a phony.

http://www.thenation.com/article/cam-newton-the-bridge-to-somewhere/

Peyton rarely gets called arrogant by anyone outside some of us Pats fans. TB has competitive arrogance, no doubt, but he is a team guy. There are 0 stories I've read or heard of him treating anyone in an assholish manner, and few of him saying something that raises eyebrows, (unlike with Cam, Aaron, Ben and Peyton). The writer should have given examples if he wanted to make that part of his article have any merit.

I disagree with the premise of the article that most of people's issues with Newton are about his being "joyful, authentic and BLACK". For me, it's about setting oneself apart from the team while supposedly being a leader. That whole "keep quiet while black" thing is insulting. Is that the the writer's way of saying the reason this never came up with Russell Wilson in his SBs outside of a passing mention or two Wilson dismissed? Like Wilson is just a (fill in the insulting term for a black person to whom acting true to THEMSELVES is pigeonholed as being a fake white person) or something??? It's the VERY UGLY flip side of people who dump on guys like Wilson, RGIII etc for "not being BLACK ENOUGH".

To me it isn't about "keep quiet while black" it is "be a team first guy who gives credit only to others, doesn't publicly call people out, doesn't make things about themselves and takes blame on himself while QBing my team". So I loathe Aaron Rodgers' arrogance and Peyton's, and THE BEN'S also. All of them have many instances of acting above the team or saying things to suggest they are. Even when TB was being outperformed by Rodgers I would say on this very board, I wouldn't trade TB for him because TB is the type of leader I want, not AR. And I love the type of leader Russell Wilson is, he reminds me a bunch of TB. I would take him as my team's QB any day of the week. I am sure many people will say Newton is a fine leader for his team etc, and that's fine, it's their 100% right to feel that way. It's personal preference for me. And I don't want to be accused of being akin to a KKK member if I don't agree. I don't accuse Newton supporters of being thugs or gangsters, which would be the erroneous insult equivalent.

I'll be happy with a close competitive game. I just hope Denver doesn't cough up a huge hairball like 2 years ago. Say what you want about the Cheatriots but they were in some damn good Super bowls.

Peyton rarely gets called arrogant by anyone outside some of us Pats fans. TB has competitive arrogance, no doubt, but he is a team guy. There are 0 stories I've read or heard of him treating anyone in an assholish manner, and few of him saying something that raises eyebrows, (unlike with Cam, Aaron, Ben and Peyton). The writer should have given examples if he wanted to make that part of his article have any merit.

I disagree with the premise of the article that most of people's issues with Newton are about his being "joyful, authentic and BLACK". For me, it's about setting oneself apart from the team while supposedly being a leader. That whole "keep quiet while black" thing is insulting. Is that the the writer's way of saying the reason this never came up with Russell Wilson in his SBs outside of a passing mention or two Wilson dismissed? Like Wilson is just a (fill in the insulting term for a black person to whom acting true to THEMSELVES is pigeonholed as being a fake white person) or something??? It's the VERY UGLY flip side of people who dump on guys like Wilson, RGIII etc for "not being BLACK ENOUGH".

To me it isn't about "keep quiet while black" it is "be a team first guy who gives credit only to others, doesn't publicly call people out, doesn't make things about themselves and takes blame on himself while QBing my team". So I loathe Aaron Rodgers' arrogance and Peyton's, and THE BEN'S also. All of them have many instances of acting above the team or saying things to suggest they are. Even when TB was being outperformed by Rodgers I would say on this very board, I wouldn't trade TB for him because TB is the type of leader I want, not AR. And I love the type of leader Russell Wilson is, he reminds me a bunch of TB. I would take him as my team's QB any day of the week. I am sure many people will say Newton is a fine leader for his team etc, and that's fine, it's their 100% right to feel that way. It's personal preference for me. And I don't want to be accused of being akin to a KKK member if I don't agree. I don't accuse Newton supporters of being thugs or gangsters, which would be the erroneous insult equivalent.

Brady is quiet for the most part and a little shy in public. Some people mistake shyness for arrogance. Cam isn't shy at all. He's grew up in the limelight; it was part of his church upbringing.
It's fine if you don't "like" it, HS. I grew up in the South so I understand it completely. I'm a Cam supporter without apology. I think he is a wonderful leader in the way he learned to lead...a church congregation...which is, by definition, a celebration.
Watch him during the play and also between plays. Most of the time he's smiling broadly. He's having fun. Simple as that.
And he's leading his team and his fans. They've all bought in.

I disagree with the premise of the article that most of people's issues with Newton are about his being "joyful, authentic and BLACK". For me, it's about setting oneself apart from the team while supposedly being a leader.

Lest not forget the sucking and sulking we've all witnessed for the last 4 years.

Cam-Newton-Sulking.jpg

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

Point spread keeps going up. It's at -5.5, one place has it at 6. Just imagine what the number would be if the game were in Carolina.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/odds

I wonder why we would try to imagine that, it's the Super Bowl :confused:

Well, now that Ian Rapaport has published an article on nfl.com saying Peyton has told close friends he expects this to be his last game, the main narrative will be "The Big Goodbye".....

someone on the Panthers will do something weird/stupid,like maybe friday/saturday night

Well, now that Ian Rapaport has published an article on nfl.com saying Peyton has told close friends he expects this to be his last game, the main narrative will be "The Big Goodbye".....

I think Peyton deserves a big good-bye. Given all the good-bye tours lately - Jeter, Kobe and Ortiz this upcoming season- it is kind of refreshing that Peyton did not announce on Sept 10 that this would be his final season. Although, perhaps he thought at the start he would play longer. He could have pulled a Ray Lewis and said before the playoffs this is it but that is not his style. I don't think he will get the same ending as Lewis unfortunately but he does deserve this last game to say good-bye.

I agree with much of this but I would say that I think there are different ways to lead. I am with you in that I prefer Brady and Wilson versus Rodgers and Cam but they can all be effective for their team.

I just can't stand the race card being pulled every time in these instances to create a story. People can dislike Cam just because ... same with Rodgers or Brady. We are football fans and are quite used to watching and rooting for different races. Why on earth writers feel the need to paint corners on these types of discussions is beyond me and really takes away from the enjoyment of the game. It is almost as if the Stephen Smith's of the world just can't let the race game go as then what else would he talk/rage about???

I'm kinda expecting someone/something to happen before the game. Someone caught partying, maybe a prostitute, a freak injury in practice. Seems kinda quiet outside the bus accident Benhamean just posted.

As for the game, I'm expecting it to get ugly for denver. Carolina O Line way better then Pats, Denver doesn't have that great home field crowd, Carolina can actually run the fricken ball and I think the Carolina D is going to make it a very long (last) game for Peyton

Peyton Manning Had The Worst Season Of Any Super Bowl Quarterback Ever

And it probably won’t matter.

By Neil Paine
gettyimages-503293552.jpg
Peyton Manning’s 2015 was bad, but the Broncos made the Super Bowl anyway.
Eric Lutzens/The Denver Post via Getty Images

Peyton Manning, The Sheriff, is back in the Super Bowl saddle. Good for him; we’ve written many paeans to Manning over the years, for the simple reason that he’s the greatest statistical quarterback of all time. But let’s face it: 2015 was also far — faaaaaar — from Manning’s best season, and in the context of a Super Bowl appearance, Manning’s standard of play pales even in comparison to “game managers” like Trent Dilfer. In a lot of ways, Peyton’s 2015 was worst regular-season performance ever by a QB who would eventually start the Super Bowl.
During the regular season, Denver had the NFL’s eighth-worst passing offense according to Football Outsiders’ defense-adjusted value over average, with a mark one full standard deviation worse than average. That’s really bad by Super Bowl standards: If we index the Broncos’ DVOA relative to the league, the only post-merger Super Bowl team to throw the ball less effectively were the Vince Ferragamo-led 1979 Los Angeles Rams.

For More: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features...uper-bowl-quarterback-ever/?ex_cid=538twitter

Peyton Manning Had The Worst Season Of Any Super Bowl Quarterback Ever

And it probably won’t matter.

By Neil Paine
Peyton Manning’s 2015 was bad, but the Broncos made the Super Bowl anyway.
Eric Lutzens/The Denver Post via Getty Images

Peyton Manning, The Sheriff, is back in the Super Bowl saddle. Good for him; we’ve written many paeans to Manning over the years, for the simple reason that he’s the greatest statistical quarterback of all time. But let’s face it: 2015 was also far — faaaaaar — from Manning’s best season, and in the context of a Super Bowl appearance, Manning’s standard of play pales even in comparison to “game managers” like Trent Dilfer. In a lot of ways, Peyton’s 2015 was worst regular-season performance ever by a QB who would eventually start the Super Bowl.
During the regular season, Denver had the NFL’s eighth-worst passing offense according to Football Outsiders’ defense-adjusted value over average, with a mark one full standard deviation worse than average. That’s really bad by Super Bowl standards: If we index the Broncos’ DVOA relative to the league, the only post-merger Super Bowl team to throw the ball less effectively were the Vince Ferragamo-led 1979 Los Angeles Rams.

For More: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features...uper-bowl-quarterback-ever/?ex_cid=538twitter

If there ever was an example of a team completely carrying its awful QB, it is Denver. Even Tebow played better than ManninHGH in 2011. It is what it is. Just hope Carolina can bury them.

I agree with much of this but I would say that I think there are different ways to lead. I am with you in that I prefer Brady and Wilson versus Rodgers and Cam but they can all be effective for their team.

I just can't stand the race card being pulled every time in these instances to create a story. People can dislike Cam just because ... same with Rodgers or Brady. We are football fans and are quite used to watching and rooting for different races. Why on earth writers feel the need to paint corners on these types of discussions is beyond me and really takes away from the enjoyment of the game. It is almost as if the Stephen Smith's of the world just can't let the race game go as then what else would he talk/rage about???
I really cherish the old days when watching football was an escape from all that crap (most of which is engineered to divide us, IMO). I honestly remember 0 race controversy when I was growing up watching the NFL, or hell even in real life. I miss those days.

I have mostly avoided all media coverage of the media day, but I did hear a funny story from Talib about how he had to write a paper in 4th or 5th grade about what he wanted to be when he grew up. He wrote that he would be an NFL player, to which his teacher took exception, and he defended himself by saying something like "Just because you aren't in the NFL doesn't mean I won't be". Teacher sent him to the principal's office for talking back. Then Talib grins and says, "I don't know what she wrote on that paper but... I'm here now. ROFL

I gotta tell ya, this has been a great 10 days of nonstop Bronco coverage on the local and national channels. All eyes are on us and i'm wallowing in it and savoring every moment of it. This is history- I'll be talking about this game with my great grandkids....

There's nothin like being in the Super Bowl- I mean the Cubs were great last year, I spent a lot of my youth in bleachers at Wrigley and live and die with the team, but I must say this is better, on so many levels.

And of course The Sheriff is the story- Everyone wants to see him go out a winner

ecfcea002dd6e9b96500e9a361f6b34d.jpg

I gotta tell ya, this has been a great 10 days of nonstop Bronco coverage on the local and national channels. All eyes are on us and i'm wallowing in it and savoring every moment of it. This is history- I'll be talking about this game with my great grandkids....

There's nothin like being in the Super Bowl- I mean the Cubs were great last year, I spent a lot of my youth in bleachers at Wrigley and live and die with the team, but I must say this is better, on so many levels.

And of course The Sheriff is the story- Everyone wants to see him go out a winner

ecfcea002dd6e9b96500e9a361f6b34d.jpg

can we just call you DT? Descended Testicle is a chore to type.

Back