Teh Official Happy 40th to the Best there ever was

Who's having the last laugh now. Happy Birthday to the Old Man of the Mountain. Nobody else will ever reach those heights.

Vince Wilfork‏Verified account @wilfork75 <small class="time">https://twitter.com/wilfork75/status/893141365411991557 </small>

Happy Bday

DGUTVOOUIAAGKXh.jpg

Great stories here about Tom from various people.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20222434

Bring up Drew Henson at your own risk

Jay Flannelly, close friend from Michigan: "We played intramural basketball together, and there was one day the frat boys were giving Tom a hard time about Drew Henson. Tom was taking it. I kept going over to him, asking, 'You OK?' So the game is almost over, about a minute left, and we were up by about 30 points. He comes over to me and asks how many fouls he has. You're allowed four and Tom had two at the time. So he says to me, 'Beav, next time we're inbounding the ball, I'm going to throw it to you and just run up the court and don't look behind you. Just sprint.' So Tommy inbounds the ball to me, I run up the court and I hear this awful noise behind me. Tom set a screen, like Charles Oakley, that took out one of the guys who had been on him all game about Drew Henson. It literally knocked the kid into never-never land. I always talked to him after that about how he was the quarterback enforcer; it would have been like Wayne Gretzky beating up a goon, or when Larry Bird went up to Bill Laimbeer."

Bill Belichick, Patriots head coach, 2000-present: "When we played golf at Pebble Beach two years ago, on the sixth hole, it's a big cliff. He's literally standing out there on the ledge, trying to hit the ball. The caddie is holding him so he won't like tumble 300 feet to his death into the Pacific Ocean. It's a golf ball. But I think that's kind of the competitiveness of Tom. I'm sure there's a picture of it. I'm thinking to myself, 'What the hell are you doing?'"

They argue Elway overachieved and took mediocre teams to the Super Bowl - further than they should have gone.

That's fine, but it ignores the fact that Elway beat the Browns three times in the AFCCG, and Schottenheimer twice. Then lost the SB badly all three times. How much are you overachieving when you're getting to the Super Bowl by beating chronic underachievers? Marty proved he was a choking dog elsewhere, so it wasn't just Elway that made him look bad in the playoffs.

Elway feasted on a reeeally shitty AFC and then got his ass handed to him when he played in the superbowl. The love that Denver has for him is blind.

Yes.

What Brady just did in 51 was greater than anything Elway ever did in his entire career.

Here are some more interesting stats.

Elway and Manning have combined for 7 Super Bowl appearances for the Broncos.

Their combined line (TDs-INTs-Yards): 4-11-1449

Tom Brady in 7 Super Bowls: 15-5-2071

<pre> </pre>

I doubt Elway ever had a defense in a sb worse than the 2011 Patriots.

That and Elway played like utter garbage in superbowls even the first one he won. People always compare defensive rankings and say oh he took this and that to the superbowl. All the rankings go out the window in the first playoff game. I know this pats team has had some good defenses, but never has Brady put up a 55 QB rating and won a superbowl. Elway and Manning both did.

I doubt Elway ever had a defense in a sb worse than the 2011 Patriots.

It's hard to believe just how bad that defense was. It was miracle that the Patriots won the AFC, winning a SB was impossible with those defenders. And yet Tom drove them and Welker drop was the crucial play.

Awesome! deadly between his own 40 and midfield. ROFL

Cheers

Elway feasted on a reeeally shitty AFC and then got his ass handed to him when he played in the superbowl. The love that Denver has for him is blind.

I think it was Elway's ability to hand off the ball to Terrell Davis, that set him apart from all other QBs and made him so beloved.

:coffee:

Back