Teh Official Week 5 Pats v Browns Game Day Thread

Winners and Losers:
Roberts played a helluva game. Hope he got a game ball for balling.
Cyrus Jones needs a rest on the bench for a couple of weeks.
Edelman may still be injured or perhaps he's trying too hard. Drops are a problem.

Winner: LB Elandon Roberts
Roberts was a surprise in the line-up, but he didn’t look out of place. He led the Patriots with 7 tackles, including one tackle for loss, and he added four stops in the run game. He offered nice coverage and he flashed great instincts. Roberts was graded as the best defender on either team by Pro Football Focus.
Roberts was given the chance to prove he deserved to be ahead of the Jonathan Freeny in the depth chart and he responded well. Just as important is the fact that Roberts’ play allowed LB Dont’a Hightower to rest for a lot of the game. Hightower is still not at 100% and Roberts proved to be capable.
Loser: CB Cyrus Jones
Jones was ejected from the game early in the 3rd quarter for throwing a punch at a Browns player. The Browns player blocked him low in the legs, far away from the action and play, so Jones took offense. He shouldn’t throw a punch, though.
Jones has had a roughly couple of games. He was in coverage of the Browns first touchdown pass. He’s off to a slow start as the Patriots top draft pick.
http://www.patspulpit.com/2016/10/1...y-edelman-gronkowski-bennett-hogan-gostkowski

MMQB on Brady/Pats

All week, Brady seemed determined to show this week wasn’t about him, and his manner during the blowout of the Browns confirmed that. Mostly, he was almost calm. Businesslike and calm. “To me,” said injured Cleveland quarterback Josh McCown, who watched from the opposite sideline, “he didn’t look much different today than he looked 10 years ago. He’s 39. I can tell you, as a 37-year-old guy, it was pretty encouraging to watch how good he was. You wonder, How long can he be this good? You see no sign of any decline.”
<figure class="ui-thumbnail inline-image">
mmqb-tom-brady-back.jpg

Photo: Joe Robbins/Getty Images <figcaption class="caption" style="width: 100%;"> Tom Brady said he felt rusty, but the numbers (406 yards passing) didn’t reflect it.

</figcaption> </figure>

Brady’s decision-making, particularly, was very good. On his first of three touchdown passes to Martellus Bennett, he bounced on his back foot a couple of times, waiting for wideout Chris Hogan to clear in the back of the end zone. Hogan didn’t, and Brady quickly lofted one to his next option, Bennett, who leaked out to the right for a seven-yard TD. On the second TD, from the Browns’ five, Brady quickly focused on Rob Gronkowski, but two safeties bracketed him in the end zone. Bennett, running a draft route over the middle with a linebacker trailing, was next, and Brady threw him a strike. The third TD, from 37 yards, was easy. Bennett ran away from coverage down the right flank and Brady just laid in an easy spiral. But on the first two, the decision-making was fast and smart.
One down for Brady, 11 to go. And in Brady’s absence, the Patriots learned a few things about themselves.

One: Jimmy Garoppolo’s ready to play, and play at a high level in the New England offense. He might be a top 15 quarterback right now. If I’m the Patriots, I’m trying to figure a way to keep Garoppolo so he can be the quarterback of the future. And I’m trying to do it next off-season, instead of waiting till his contract expires after the 2017 season; by then he’ll have too much of a market. Who knows how long Brady lasts—it could be three years or five, no one knows—but if the Patriots feel Garoppolo is the quarterback of the future, and how can they not, they’d be silly to take a 2017 first-round pick for him.

Two: Jacoby Brissett is not ready to play. No harm there. He’s still a baby in the New England system. Three: Belichick always tell his players to “do your job” and the system will work, regardless who’s out on the field. Going 3-1 without Brady makes that feel more real.

Finally, the schedule won’t help the Patriots this year, and winning home-field in the AFC is going to be exceedingly hard. The best teams in the conference, in some order, are New England, Pittsburgh and Denver. The Patriots play the other two on the road down the stretch, as well as suddenly good Buffalo on the road and the Seahawks and Bengals at home.
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/10/10/tom-brady-new-england-patriots-returns-suspension-nfl-week-5

"suddenly good Buffalo"

"Suddely good" Buffalo beat the Cardinals with an old, broken Carson Palmer who is reverting to form, they beat the Pats with a rookie QB making his second start running a game plan that was devised at the last second when Jimmy G couldn't go, and the Rams who I will go on record as saying are counterfeit and on their way to a 6-10 season.

"suddenly good Buffalo"...that's funny...

"suddenly good Buffalo"

"Suddely good" Buffalo beat the Cardinals with an old, broken Carson Palmer who is reverting to form, they beat the Pats with a rookie QB making his second start running a game plan that was devised at the last second when Jimmy G couldn't go, and the Rams who I will go on record as saying are counterfeit and on their way to a 6-10 season.

"suddenly good Buffalo"...that's funny...

Well (suddenly bad?) Cards, Pats on the road, LA on the road? Good is a temporary state in football (Pat's the exception) and can be fleeting. It's easy to see flaws there I agree, but good is not inappropriate at this time, imo, though it still makes me chuckle anyway. :ROFL

Cheers

I was so excited for this game and then it happened. After a late night of drinking I got up and took what I thought was my blood pressure medication. I think I made it through the opening kickoff then proceeded to nod off about every five minutes. It didn't occur to me until later that night that I had accidentally taken a sleeping pill. ROFL From what I do remember from the game, Brady seemed to be way more accurate with the deep ball. Maybe that was something that he worked on during his four weeks off. Also, I literally saw the Browns score this TD but dozed off during the TD celebration. This was pretty epic. https://cdn-e1.streamable.com/video...9409_c6d47560f86f0a9fbaaba0212dcb94cc82efda48

It seems you guys might have missed that run by gronk today that broke about 17 tackles...I would say that is a grown ass man.

Yeah. I don't get the hate. We are all tired of his injuries but clearly the Pats were managing him until Brady was back. Him and Bennett are going to be awesome to watch all season. :toast:

It seems you guys missed the part where I said "I can't quit you yet, Gronk! wuv"
:coffee:

There is no hate. Perhaps I was a bit too snarky about our Gronk for effect. I do harbor concerns about Papa Gronk, who IMO reeks of meddling "stage parent" coattail rider, and what undue influence he may have on the relationship between Gronk and the team.

Perhaps I am wrong. In fact, I would be thrilled to be wrong in this instance. :toast:

Regardless, Bennett has been a fantastic addition on his own, and of course I am giddy at the prospect of him and a healthy, happy Gronk being an unstoppable two-headed TE monster terrorizing every other DC in the league. Giggety!

Tom and others mentioned he was rusty regarding his pocket presence. Have to admit, I didn't see much of that. I thought his presence was good and he was fully aware, firing off passes just as he was about to be hit, not making stupid passed under pressure, scrambling away when needed etc. As mentioned as well, his deep ball looked razor sharp as well.

What yesterday showed though was what a nightmare matchup Gronk and Luke Cage are. You double team and go with Gronk and there's Bennett one on one with a puny DB and it's a turkey shoot. Add in Hogan outside the numbers, and Danny and Jules criss crossing at light speed and then the threat of Lewis to come!! Man......that will be something.

Crucial in all this of course is the O Line. So far so good, Scar has made a difference already and that will always the difference between the offense reaching their potential or not.

Hue Jackson Wants Browns, Fans Believing They Can Reach Patriots Plateau Some Day

The Patriots are everything Jackson wants his team to be, and then some. The only problem is they are also everything his team is not.

CLEVELAND (92.3 The Fan) – After getting an up close and personal look at the league’s greatest show on turf, Browns head coach Hue Jackson didn’t leave Sunday’s 33-13 thrashing discouraged.
He left it dreaming big.
The Patriots are everything Jackson wants his team to be, and then some. The only problem is they are also everything his team currently is not.
“I’m very envious of that team and their organization because of what they are,” Jackson said. “Someday, we are going to have that here. That is the plan.”
That may be the plan, but the reality is the divide between the 2 franchises is about twice the size of the Grand Canyon and even deeper than the 20-point differential on the scoreboard. Jackson has dreamed big since leaving the comforts of Cincinnati and taking the Browns job, and Sunday he was no different even while staring 0-5 – the second worst start to a season since 1999 – in the face.
The Patriots are well on their way to a 15th double-digit winning season in 17 years since Bill Belichick took over in 2000 while here in Cleveland, Jackson’s Browns remain the league’s biggest bunch of losers on their way to the team’s 14th double-digit loss season in 18 years making Jackson’s vision appear to be a very unrealistic fantasy for fans.
“We have to understand that is where we are going, where we are trying to get to,” Jackson said. “Until you can get there, you have to keep reaching for it. You have to keep building to get there, and I think that is what we are attempting to do. We want to be one of the best organizations in football so there it was. That is what you have to look at to compare and contrast of where you are trying to go.
“It is a good eye-opener for all because that is where we want to be.”
That it was. A difficult and demoralizing one.
Jackson preaches that his team “expect to win” while fans just expect the Browns to lose. Every week. Just like they did Sunday. It’s not a question of if, but by how much, and in what ridiculous fashion will it happen.
It’s become a coping mechanism for every miserable Sunday afternoon since 1999.
Tom Brady emerged from a 4-game suspension and looked like the future Hall of Famer he is throwing for 406 yards and 3 touchdowns against Cleveland’s winless, woeful football team.
Rust? What rust?
Meanwhile the Browns would be thrilled to just get through 4 quarters each week with just 1 guy taking all the snaps while still having the physical ability to take them again the following week. That’s not hyperbole, that’s fact. While Jackson is trying to set the bar at the highest level, the reality is that rests as low as it can possibly can go.
Jackson hopes to use the Patriots as a model for building and sustaining a wiiner while doing it on the Cowboys’ timetable we saw in the early 1990s. Dallas went 1-15 in 1989, 7-9 in 1990 before reaching the playoffs and going 11-5 in 1991. The Cowboys won 3 of the next 4 Super Bowls after that.
Sounds reasonable.
The problem is that the Browns still don’t have a quarterback and until they find one that can not only survive a 16-game schedule but play at a high level, they have zero chance to compete, no matter how many pep talks Jackson gives his team. Through an awful combination of incompetence and bad luck, the Browns are incapable of even reaching the lowest setting for the bar – getting through a season with a single quarterback.
And who knows if Jackson or the Harvard-degree bearing big 3 in the front office can even find that quarterback.
They already failed to properly evaluate Carson Wentz. Sure, he finally lost a game Sunday and even threw an interception, but the early consensus in NFL circles is that the kid is the real deal and the Browns failed to see it. The decision to trade out, no matter how soundly thought out it was, calls their evaluation ability immediately into question moving forward.
The Browns’ decision to allow a 2-time Pro Bowl center to walk away along with their starting right tackle, all in the name of saving money and or protecting salary cap space, has also blown up in their face in spectacular fashion – regardless of the reasoning behind it – while quarterback after quarterback is helped off the field by trainers every week.
To build a dynasty like Belichick and the Patriots have requires good decision-making, drafting and luck. And that is why Jackson talking about the Browns being the Patriots one day is so laughable, to everyone.
The Browns’ decision-making still remains suspect, the ability to draft is still a question and as for luck, please. This franchise is beyond cursed. How else can the first 5 weeks, or last 18 years for that matter be explained?
Jackson has to talk and think in terms of achieving greatness but there is nothing for fans to cling to right now that could say it is remotely possible in this lifetime. Sure his team fights and doesn’t give up, which is something we haven’t seen much of over the last 18 years, while the losses continue to pile up.
That’s how low the bar here is. The Browns at least try.
“We have a ways to go,” Jackson said. “I get that, but to be able to play against an organization and a team that kind of demonstrates what you want to be someday, it was right there for us all to see.”
Just like every other week, the Browns were out-gunned and out-manned before they even took the field.
Playoffs? Super Bowl? Multiple Super Bowls? A Patriots-like dynasty?
Jackson believes. Following Sunday’s ugly loss, he might be the only one.

Another team wants to use the Pats as their model. :coffee:

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

X-Rays Negative For QB Cody Kessler As Hue Jackson Takes Responsibility For Bad Play Call That Led To InjuryBrowns head coach Hue Jackson said that Kessler is day-to-day with a chest/rib injury and he will undergo further evaluation Sunday evening and Monday morning.

Credit to Jackson, not many coaches will admit looking up to BB like that.

The issue is, you can't just carbon copy what BB does. It's a million little things he brings to the table. But good luck to Jackson, hopefully he's given a chance in Cleveland.

Just watched the game again, man when Tom threw that 1st TD pass to Bennett, he walked off and he was nearly spitting fire, he was like a silent assasin, he seemed so pumped.

What I like about Brady is that he always celebrates with his O Linemen first when a TD is scored. I like Andrews's passion, he's always pumped bigtime when a TD is scored.

PFF player grades for the game

New England Patriots 33, Cleveland Browns 13
Here are the biggest takeaways and highest-graded players from the Patriorts’ 33-13 victory over the Browns.

Quarterback grade: Tom Brady, 88.6
Brady’s first game back was vintage Brady
Quarterback Tom Brady looked in mid-season form despite being suspended for the first four games of the season. Outside of a dropped interception on a crossing route to Martellus Bennett, the four-time Super Bowl champion read the defense well, utilized his two dominant tight ends, and even showed off some impressive mobility when needed. Pick an area to highlight: 4-6, 180 yards and 1 INT on deep passes, 82.1 adjusted completion percentage, 2.11 average time to attempt.
Tom Brady under pressure versus the Browns

Top offensive grades:
QB Tom Brady, 88.6
TE Rob Gronkowski, 86.0
RT Cameron Fleming, 83.7
LT Nate Soldier, 83.5
LG Joe Thuney, 77.8
A healthy Gronk paired with Tom Brady is a dynamic duo
The Patriots had been easing TE Rob Gronkowski into action as he nursed a hamstring injury. One got the feeling they were waiting to unleash him when Brady came back and unleash him did they ever. After seeing just three targets in the previous two games, Brady threw to Gronk seven times, completing five for 109 yards. While he didn’t pay dirt in the endzone, he forced three missed tackles while showing his dominance in the run game.
Top defensive grades:
LB Elandon Roberts, 85.0
S Patrick Chung, 82.8
DT Alan Branch, 80.9
DT Woodrow Hamilton, 80.8
LB Jamie Collins, 80.8
Several rookies put forth a strong showing in the front seven
It’s telling that seven different Patriot defenders finished the day with more than one defensive stop, as the front seven gave Crowell and company a miserable afternoon. With just six career NFL snaps under his belt, rookie linebacker Elandon Roberts played nearly half of the snaps in this game and came out of it with six tackles, a team-high four defensive stops, and the defense’s highest grade. Woodrow Hamilton, in his first career game, earned an 84.7 grade against the run despite playing only 22 snaps (10 in run defense). While the focus will be on Brady after this game, it shouldn’t go unnoticed just how well Bill Belichick has this unit performing this year.

Quarterback grade: Cody Kessler, 57.1; Charlie Whitehurst, 56.2
That Charlie Whitehurst was the fourth-highest offensive grade for the Browns is more of an indictment of the Cleveland offense as a whole than a positive point for Whitehurst. Thirteen of his 22 aimed passes were thrown within ten yards of the line of scrimmage, though he had more success in the intermediate range (10-19 yards in air), where he went five of seven for 101 yards. Kessler’s day was cut short, and while he was reasonably effective as a passer, his afternoon will be marred by the bizarre decision to attempt a backward pass to Duke Johnson which resulted in a safety.
Top offensive grades:
LT Joe Thomas, 73.0
LG Joel Bitonio, 72.8
WR Andrew Hawkins, 70.5
QB Charlie Whitehurst, 56.2
HB Duke Johnson, 53.7
Browns’ offensive line dismembered in the run game
For a team with question marks at quarterback, a solid running game is a necessity, yet Cleveland failed to open any holes on the ground. Among linemen and tight ends, only John Greco and sixth lineman Spencer Drango (on just five snaps) managed a run-blocking grade above 50 as New England’s defensive line consistently worked off blocks to make tackles around the line of scrimmage. One of our highest-graded running backs coming into this game and averaging 6.5 yards per carry, Isaiah Crowell averaged a meager 1.5 yards per carry on 14 attempts, earning 19 of his 21 yards after first contact.
Top defensive grades:
LB Demario Davis, 81.9
DI Danny Shelton, 78.3
CB Jamar Taylor, 77.6
CB Briean Boddy-Calhoun, 76.0
ED Joe Schobert, 74.4
Mixed bag for Browns’ ILBs
While ILB Demario Davis grades as the top defender for the Browns, it was surprisingly his work in coverage that earned him that top spot. The fifth-year veteran was targeted seven times but allowed just four catches for 30 yards and notched a pass breakup as well. Davis’ stellar day in coverage was masked a bit by his struggles in the run game where he missed two tackles, took poor angles, and was blocked at the second level quite often. ILB Chris Kirksey was dominant in the run game notching a 96.3 grade in the category, notching an impressive eight run stops but he was the culprit for Gronk’s and Martellus Bennett’s big days allowing the TD reception to Bennett and getting beat by Gronk three times for 68 yards.
PFF Game-Ball Winner: Patriots’ QB Tom Brady

PFF’s player grading process includes multiple reviews, which may change the grade initially published in order to increase its accuracy. Learn more about how we grade and access grades for every player through each week of the NFL season by subscribing to Player Grades.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ne-cle-grades-tom-brady-earns-excellent-grade-in-return/

1) I thought Hue was going to kidnap TFB after the game the way he grabbed him. LOL

2) Kessler looked pretty decent (minus the backwards pass). I think Hue is good enough of an offensive coach to develop him.

3) Despite what people say about the Browns not being much of a team, wasn't Ray Horton the DC of the Cardinals when they put that defensive bang thang on the Pats in Gillette in 2012?

4) I still think that if they are patient enough, Hue will get it turned around. Locally, even some of our cynical sports guys say the vibe in the building is FAR different from any prior new edition Browns regime. They don't seem to be divided and doing things to spite each other anymore.

5) I thought TFB was dialing his emotions way way WAY back, and on purpose. He wasn't even regular season game hyped up. He was a quiet storm.

Tom and others mentioned he was rusty regarding his pocket presence. Have to admit, I didn't see much of that. I thought his presence was good and he was fully aware, firing off passes just as he was about to be hit, not making stupid passed under pressure, scrambling away when needed etc. As mentioned as well, his deep ball looked razor sharp as well.

What yesterday showed though was what a nightmare matchup Gronk and Luke Cage are. You double team and go with Gronk and there's Bennett one on one with a puny DB and it's a turkey shoot. Add in Hogan outside the numbers, and Danny and Jules criss crossing at light speed and then the threat of Lewis to come!! Man......that will be something.

Crucial in all this of course is the O Line. So far so good, Scar has made a difference already and that will always the difference between the offense reaching their potential or not.

Cle was not going to let Gronk beat them, at times in the endzone, there was 3 players on him. Good of Brady to find single coverage elsewhere and not force it.

Back