Thanksgiving 2016 - 3 things to be thankful for

Baron Samedi

Russian Bot 762X54R
Reaction score
Just watched a video of one of the causes I support, and it inspired me to start this thread...things to be thankful for beyond the obvious...friends, family, Jesus,..that kind of thing.

What are you thankful for that always gets overlooked in favor of the usual?

These are three things I am thankful for...

1. I am thankful for dogs. The reason dogs are Man's Best Friend is because they bring out the best in us as humans. Dogs are what we aspire to be....loyal, loving, honest, dependable, etc. For them, it is natural...for us, we have to work hard to even come close.

2. I am thankful for the people who dedicate themselves to helping those who cannot help themselves, the meekest of the meek.
This is the video that inspired me to start the thread. It is people like this that I am thankful for. Personally, I just donate. I do not have the emotional strength to do it myself, I tried when I was a teenager, and I wish I never had, because they don't always have happy endings.
Thank God for people like this, Hope for Paws...a heartwarming Thanksgiving Day video.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZWpDrd560H4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. I am Thankful that I live at a time when Medical Miracles will allow me to share dinner with certain family members, who only 20 years ago would be dead, but with what is relatively routine medical practice today, lives are not only saved and extended, but the lives of so many others are enriched as a result. Thanks to all the medical researchers, innovators, and practitioners, for whom I actually am able to watch my prematurely born nephew play football tomorrow, and for my father who would be dead today were it not for the amazing defibrillator technology, and as a result I can share dinner with him tomorrow.
In some way, saving one life saves many lives, and adds countless precious moments and memories for so many of us, and we sometimes fail to consider the alternative, which even in my own lifetime would have been the norm.

1. Boobies
2. Butts
3. Beer

Along the lines of people who do the caring beyond all imaginings. I lost my baby sister this year and I will be sad and eternally grateful for having the greatest sister ever for 66 years,

But the people who cared for her, and particularly the people in the cancer center at Virginia Commonwealth University Hospital (where Kathy was treated, and where she passed) were more amazing as a group then any I have ever met. They smile. They laugh, they encourage and they cheer for you. . And they'll hold your hand and cry with you. They'll kneel and pray with you. They'll comfort you always and they'll comfort your family and your friends. All in the warmest, sincerest, most genuinely loving manner imaginable. To a man, if you'll pardon the old sexist saw. The Nurses, the Doctors, the Students (it's a terrific teaching hospital), the technicians (vampires, imagers, etv) food service people, cleaning people. Everyone. Of course that incredible vibe speaks to superb training. But even more it speaks to those of whom the Baron speaks. The kind, brave and beautiful people who smile and do Gods most difficult and important work courageously and unflinchingly.

They did more to restore my severely wavering faith in humankind than I can describe. For that and for the care they gave Kathy I'll never stop being thankful.

Happy Thanksgiving, All

Cheers

It's hard to list only a few things to be thankful for honestly. And BT and Baron's posts are so heartfelt.

As Baron said, health and medical miracles. I am grateful for my health, and I've suffered from an incurable disorder for 16 years.. yet due to amazing treatments and medication, I have virtually no symptoms and my life expectancy is not affected. I do not take for granted being able to be as active and busy as I am. I am so thankful for this, indeed. I laugh at being able to outwork and outlast people half my age when it's time to play sports or do hard physical tasks.

I'm thankful for a great family, a wife with whom I just celebrated 30 years together, and that our kids are on the right path and that our family hasn't suffered like so many of our friends with the loss of children from opiates. Through no fault of their own... Our extended family, in laws, cousins are all wonderful and we all get along and have fun together. So fortunate indeed. I'm thankful that my Mom who passed last year was with us for such a long time, to be 60-ish and still having her at my house for the holidays was a blessing. So many people lose their parents early.

It's good to reflect and to not take things for granted, tomorrow is never a promise.

I'm thankful for wisdom from past mistakes...among numerous other things.

Find something that you love, would do it for free...and that pays well. It is getting harder and harder to find it anymore...but, worth it if you do ever find it.

Life is very short...make it count.

Right there with you, Baron.

If not for the beautiful, bright-eyed furry faces that greet me daily, my life would be incomplete.

Humans may continually fail to understand each other, but the relationship of people and dogs (and cats) is perfection.

Thankful that I don't have to cook today.

Otherwise thankful for my wife's high tolerance for my gallivanting and leaving her at home with the kids. She deserves a medal!

Another shout to dogs from me as well. Sadly it's a day when I have to think about my two pups that we have to leave with another family back in MD. Skipper and Loke. Best dogs ever.

Thankful that I don't have to cook today.

Otherwise thankful for my wife's high tolerance for my gallivanting and leaving her at home with the kids. She deserves a medal!

Another shout to dogs from me as well. Sadly it's a day when I have to think about my two pups that we have to leave with another family back in MD. Skipper and Loke. Best dogs ever.

We are polar ops again. ROFL I'm thankful I do get to cook today. :thumb:

Cheers

Tom Brady

Facebook Mentions
·

It's easy to feel thankful on a day like today, surrounded by people you love, good food, football... It's a great reminder of what's most important in life, and how good it can be. On that note, I hope you all have a great day with memories worth hanging onto for a long time to come. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Tom Brady

Facebook Mentions
·

It's easy to feel thankful on a day like today, surrounded by people you love, good food, football... It's a great reminder of what's most important in life, and how good it can be. On that note, I hope you all have a great day with memories worth hanging onto for a long time to come. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Same to you Tom.

Oh. and just what in the hell kind of inedible atrocity of a pastry is that you're making for the world's healthiest and hungriest children? :spock:

Cheers, BostonTim

Baron and BT

:clap:

I drove my mom and my wife up to Boston yesterday from CT, to my uncles house in Jamaica Plain and I'm thankful for one simple thing.

Waze.

When it tells you to get off the highway. GET OFF THE HIGHWAY

I avoided two total cluster f*cks at the I-84 - Mass Pike entrance and 128 to Rt 9.

:bow:

1. My family, especially my daughter who smiles big the minute she sees me when I come in the door.

2. A good job

3. A nice house.

I'm thankful for family.
For the medical miracles that have made my family thrive.
For being lucky enough to be surrounded by love everyday.

I'm also thankful for 17 years I had with my JRT, she was by my side for everything and is missed.
I'm thankful for finding a special pup when I needed one the most.

~Dee~

Back