The 2021 Draft- We Need This One

Here's PFF's analytics draft. Positional values count in this draft. This one is by the numbers only - there's no gut feeling or falling in love with a player - which automatically makes it unrealistic. That potentially makes it even more interesting to me. Trades are allowed.

The mock draft you love to hate is back. This collection of 32 picks, along with their accompanying trades, represents the selections we would make at each position, leaning on our college-to-pro projections and all of the film study and analysis that goes into creating PFF’s Big Board and Draft Guide.

Unlike our initial mock last season, we incorporated trades that made sense for both sides and added some necessary spice, as well as evolved on some notions we ignored last year, including the value of interior defensive linemen. Some claim the perfect mock is impossible. They were wrong. Enjoy!
========================

At 3, Miami trades Tua and pick 3 + some change to Houston for Deshaun Watson.
At 15, the Pats trade 15 to Houston for Tua.

Yeah. Screw this. I hate it.
Tua is Mariota 2.0...no thanks. Not even because of his race either. He doesn't have the killer instinct.

Tulsa's Zaven Collins can do whatever you need him to. Rush the QB, drop in coverage & stop the run. A speedy chameleon who can impact the game anywhere along the line. He's met/will meet virtually with the Saints, Ravens, Packers, Broncos, Jets, Patriots, Titans, Cardinals & Seahawks.
Collins or Surratt, I think both would be very solid fits for the Patriots. Collins in particular, for all the reasons you mentioned, to me, is the quintessential Patriots type of player. His versatility is something Belichick loves.

Collins or Surratt, I think both would be very solid fits for the Patriots. Collins in particular, for all the reasons you mentioned, to me, is the quintessential Patriots type of player. His versatility is something Belichick loves.
No Bama linebackers? :coffee:

Jabril Cox that played in Fargo, but, transferred to LSU would be awesome in NE.

What are we supposed to make of these crazy numbers coming out of these training house "combines" or "showcases" whatever they call them these days.

Brandon Marshall's House of Athletes, a draftee/athlete training facility in Fla., ran a "showcase" on March 5. H of A wants their guys to do well.

GA CB Eric Stokes ran a 4.25 40 at 6'1", 185 (wt not confirmed from what I saw). That's faster than Deion Sanders! That would be the 3rd fastest time ever for the nfl combine.
Only 1 timing device and his time is "unofficial". He foot faulted on his 2nd run.

So what are we to believe? No oversight. Only 1 timing device. He only ran it once. Stokes said afterwards he's been training for weeks just for the 40. His 1st training runs were in the 4.5s. Last week he was running in the high 4.3s by his own admission. No one asked him how much weight he lost from playing weight to get into track shape. He was a track star in HS.
I don't believe it. It's too easy to fudge.

I don't know how teams are going evaluate these showcases and then translate them to the draft. Actual Pro Days may be run better with greater oversight but Pro Days are limited and most of them won't be televised.
Personally, I'm adding 0.10 to all the stopwatch events from H of A. Teams will probably do similar.
What about the bad times (and there were a few)? I'm adding a tenth to them, too, and now they're really bad.

I'm suspicious of the 40 in general and I'm not sure why nobody has bothered to come up with a better speed test than than a track drill. It's pretty clear that these guys train for months for that one number and it is of questionable value in judging actual football speed.

I'm a little surprised that it has never been replaced by a more pertinent metric. I imagine someday soon every college player will be outfitted with biometric sensors and there'll be a season's worth of relevant data to analyze. Clearly, sports are moving in that direction, so we might as well find out how fast a player is during actual games....wearing pads and cleats, etc., etc.

I'm suspicious of the 40 in general and I'm not sure why nobody has bothered to come up with a better speed test than than a track drill. It's pretty clear that these guys train for months for that one number and it is of questionable value in judging actual football speed.

I'm a little surprised that it has never been replaced by a more pertinent metric. I imagine someday soon every college player will be outfitted with biometric sensors and there'll be a season's worth of relevant data to analyze. Clearly, sports are moving in that direction, so we might as well find out how fast a player is during actual games....wearing pads and cleats, etc., etc.
Excellent post, Hawg. I think Jerry Rice ran something like a 4.8 but how many times did you ever see anyone catch him from behind?

Excellent post, Hawg. I think Jerry Rice ran something like a 4.8 but how many times did you ever see anyone catch him from behind?
Your right their track speed. Then their football speed . That track speed won't help you. If you can't make plays wearing full pads. John Ross has the fastest time in combine history. Just another bust in pros.

Sometimes lacrosse guys turn out to be good football players.

Sometimes wrestlers turn out to be good football players.

And sometimes, track stars turn out to be Hall Of Fame players.

1615345250489.png

Last edited:
The squirrelly child beater in KC is fast...unfortunately.

All the scouts really need to study is game tape.

The squirrelly child beater in KC is fast...unfortunately.

All the scouts really need to study is game tape.

Game tape is best indicator, I agree.

However, there was no game tape on Stephen Neal. Yet he turned out to be a pretty good guard for the Patriots.

View attachment 2645

Only an A, I traded for this year.

Lots and lots of wheelin' and dealin'- my head is spinning! Bateman would be more than I expect but then you grabbed Tylan Wallace & 5 more dudes to catch the ball.
7 for the front 7 plus 2 safeties to make BB happy - you had it going there, bro!

Lots and lots of wheelin' and dealin'- my head is spinning! Bateman would be more than I expect but then you grabbed Tylan Wallace & 5 more dudes to catch the ball.
7 for the front 7 plus 2 safeties to make BB happy - you had it going there, bro!

Lots of solid players, there, too. I think it's pretty clear by now that BSF has broken the PFF mock app. Cracked the safe.

Twenty fucking picks and a zillion trades. I'm not saying it is realistic, but I'd love to see what would happen if all those guys hit Foxboro.

Even if 2/3rds of them didn't make it out of camp, we'd still have an epic haul.

So, I've done a couple of these things and think this one was decent. I made a trade to improve the 2nd rounder knowing Washington was looking QB and that got me both Mac Jones and Freiermuth. Conscious of a need (to me) to protect the Center position (so we never have to see James Ferentz again) I made an unusual move at 96. Meinerz is the wildman from the Canadian woods who is both a character (ever see his youtube workout vids?) and a pretty good IOL prospect .Plus, we need more tough guys like him on this team. I was pleased to get Patrick Jones, who is not just one of the better pass rushers available, but a well-rounded edge prospect with good size. I took a flyer on Javian Hawkins figuring his blazing speed and open-field ability might be useful in the passing game. Hawkins is an electric gadget guy. I finished up with a 350lb. IDL.

1615387119731.png1615387119731.png

So, I've done a couple of these things and think this one was decent. I made a trade to improve the 2nd rounder knowing Washington was looking QB and that got me both Mac Jones and Freiermuth. Conscious of a need (to me) to protect the Center position (so we never have to see James Ferentz again) I made an unusual move at 96. Meinerz is the wildman from the Canadian woods who is both a character (ever see his youtube workout vids?) and a pretty good IOL prospect .Plus, we need more tough guys like him on this team. I was pleased to get Patrick Jones, who is not just one of the better pass rushers available, but a well-rounded edge prospect with good size. I took a flyer on Javian Hawkins figuring his blazing speed and open-field ability might be useful in the passing game. Hawkins is an electric gadget guy. I finished up with a 350lb. IDL.

View attachment 2648View attachment 2648
I can almost guarrantee Slaton won't be a Pat. You are the 3rd or 4th person to grab him and he is my draft binkie.

I can almost guarrantee Slaton won't be a Pat. You are the 3rd or 4th person to grab him and he is my draft binkie.

We haven't had a lot of success with ex-Gators and you always have to be aware that they could turn out to be psycho murderers, but that guy looks way too good to be the 200th and something pick in this draft. I don't know if he really weighs 350 as I saw him listed, but he is strong as hell, balanced and has some quickness. Not a bad interior pass rusher, either. Not just a fat run stuffer.

Back