The 2021 Draft- We Need This One

I've just seen several reports that the Patriots have been awarded an additional comp pick. It the first comp pick in the 5th round.

Can this be Draft BB finally has success drafting A WR. . So far he has 95% failure rate .

Can this be Draft BB finally has success drafting A WR. . So far he has 95% failure rate .
This WR class is not very deep. It's solid at the top but then there looks like a steep drop off. Not to say one can't be found as happens in all drafts.

Daniel Jeremiah talks about the Pats setting up the crib nicely for a young QB & the Pats' special interest in 1 particular QB to target in this draft and Lazar responds.

View: https://twitter.com/ezlazar/status/1373447223938318342

Going out on a limb here.
Trying to block out the hype the last 2 weeks to decide for myself and current thinking is Lance and Fields are QB1a and QB1b for the Pats.
They have the arm and athleticism that Jones doesn't have. Jones and Mills aren't 1st round values for me --> 2nd round
Lance is the guy I'd target but maybe BB believes he'll go too high or he believes Fields is a better fit.
Interview is important and we know nothing.
IBIT. I'll have what he's having.

Last edited:
I've been reading alot more tham usual about the draft this year (not really into college FB), and what I'm seeing are alot of questions about every QB other than #1. I know we need an answer at QB, but trading up for a position that has so many busts is how you screw a team for years. I'm currently thinking BPA at 15 and 46, then trading around to get Mills wherever It makes sense. Yeah, he is a project, but all of these guys are, and he seems to check alot of boxes.

I'd feel great with Justin Fields as the heir apparent.

I'd take any of the top 5 guys and have mainly focused on Mac Jones because he's more attainable.

My main hesitation on Fields is the price and his underwhelming performance vs. Alabama in the Natty. I know he was hurt,
but I think he got rattled mentally and that stuff worries me. I never thought much of Sam Darnold for that same reason and
he still panics and makes bad decisions despite having excellent tools.

Fields had typically carried himself with great confidence and I definitely think he could be outstanding with some careful grooming,
which he would certainly get here.

I'd feel great with Justin Fields as the heir apparent.

I'd take any of the top 5 guys and have mainly focused on Mac Jones because he's more attainable.

My main hesitation on Fields is the price and his underwhelming performance vs. Alabama in the Natty. I know he was hurt,
but I think he got rattled mentally and that stuff worries me. I never thought much of Sam Darnold for that same reason and
he still panics and makes bad decisions despite having excellent tools.

Fields had typically carried himself with great confidence and I definitely think he could be outstanding with some careful grooming,
which he would certainly get here.
The more I think about it. All of BB moves in off season. Does give you impression he will make a big move in Draft. It would take minimum 2 firsts 2or 3 Rd pick & players to pull it off. My only problem with Fields he wasn't impressive in BCS playoffs. When Dobbins went down against Clemson. Sermon against Bama

“There will be four quarterbacks taken in the first six or seven picks of the draft. Take that to the bank.”

—Adam Schefter, on ESPN’s NFL Live show.

Cincy might be best spot at #5. BB can address his weakness on O-line with deal of Wynn & either Harry or Gilmore & a few high round draft picks .

Cincy might be best spot at #5. BB can address his weakness on O-line with deal of Wynn & either Harry or Gilmore & a few high round draft picks .
The Bungles might not want to trade down...Iggles might though. Maybe even ATL and Detriot. 2 1st's and anywhere from a 5th up to a 3rd sounds about right...to trade up.

Last edited:
The Bungles might not want to trade down...Iggles might though. Maybe even ATL and Detriot. 2 1st's and aNY where from a 5th up to a 3rd sounds about right...to trade up.
I just used Bengals as example. They need O-line help . pats would need a very high draft pick if Fields or Lance is target

PFF 3 Round Draft

You can go to the link to see the entire thing, but for the Pats:

QB MAC JONES, ALABAMA​

RB MICHAEL CARTER, NORTH CAROLINA​

To me trading up to get Jones is terrible, specially considering the two guys they have going at 16 and 17, Waddle and Parsons. I'd take either of them, and Mills in the 2nd at 46, which you would have to do because in this draft he goes at 51.

To get fields will require a top 3 til 5 pick. All depending on Jets selection . I wasn't impressed with his performance in BCS playoffs the last 2 years. He's a great athlete . I just don't know about his accuracy in pros.

I wouldn't be surprised if 3 of the top 5 picks are QBs and I believe a 4th is possible.

I think the price of a veteran QB is so off the charts that people are more interested in rookies than they would otherwise be. Especially given the amount of teams
that need a QB but are in bad shape on the cap and can't handle FA. The competition for these kids will be serious and I expect more trades than usual as desperate teams try to outfox
the competition to get high enough to not miss out on their guy.
PFF 3 Round Draft

You can go to the link to see the entire thing, but for the Pats:

QB MAC JONES, ALABAMA​

RB MICHAEL CARTER, NORTH CAROLINA​

To me trading up to get Jones is terrible, specially considering the two guys they have going at 16 and 17, Waddle and Parsons. I'd take either of them, and Mills in the 2nd at 46, which you would have to do because in this draft he goes at 51.
I'll respectfully disagree.

I think if we like Mac Jones, or any of the other top 5 then I believe we're going to have to move up to get any of them. I'd be OK with Mills drafted as a low-round guy if we had a viable QB and needed a backup, but we currently do not and I'd rather we moved up and select whoever our guys think can be QB1 relatively soon. I'm a Stanford fan and I've seen the guy play and don't see much to get excited about. I'd be pretty surprised if our brain trust thinks he is the future, but the 199th pick a while back showed everybody that things aren't always as they appear on paper.

I think Michael Carter is going to be a productive pro back who can catch effectively, but I don't know if he can pass block. Then again, neither could James White when we drafted him.

One thing to consider in this draft is how Bill might view guys that opted out of 2020. Parsons is a talented kid, but was one of the first big NFL prospects to skip the season. Maybe it won't matter, but the Boss tends to like guys that would do anything it took to play football. Between the two guys you mentioned, I'd guess that he'd like the cut of Waddle's jib better as the last impression of him was watching trying to convince his coaches to let him play on an obviously bad wheel in the National Championship.

Back