The 2021 Draft- We Need This One

Absolutely fair on all counts...I don't really watch college football, so Im just reading....and to me QBs 2-7 or so all sound like they all are projects, and hitching the team to one of them (specially when it will require multiple picks) sounds like a way to keep the team around 500.

If BB really likes one of them more than the others, he'll try his damnnest to get him....and I'd he doesn't get the one, I don't think he is going to trade up to get the 5th option just because he has to.

Now maybe they like Jones, I'll root for him just like I do every other Patriots, I just don't want them to just take them because they don't have other options.

Well, you're right that there is more than we see, especially when the investment in a QB is such a critical move to make. The thing is, a lot of these guys have big arms, height and can scramble and you can measure all that stuff, but measuring the ability to solve the puzzle of what a team is showing you and making the right split-second decisions to deliver the ball to the right guy in the right spot is damn near impossible. That is why Jameis Winston is the No. 1 overall pick and a few years later throws 30 picks and his value is just about gone.

Since Tom Brady is your guy, it is hard to not see all the parallels between him and Mac Jones. It is clear that the guy is really smart, that he win a , is good at sliding around in the pocket, has outstanding accuracy, solid mechanics, a very quick release, doesn't throw picks, played at a top program, and a bunch of other stuff. The knock on him is that he's 6'3", isn't a great athlete (better than Brady, though) and his arm isn't a cannon if he is forced out of his rhythm. It's eerie, really. With his stats and record you'd think he'd get more respect, but some people want to focus on the fact that he isn't lightning fast. Having doubters isn't the worst thing in the world and a lot of people see it my way. Charlie Weis, for instance, loves the guy for the same reasons I do.

Is Mac Jones going to be the next GOAT? Highly doubtful. Nobody ever will be, but he could be really good in this exact offense for this team with a little work. The fit is just too obvious. Almost too perfect. He is as much of a Tom Brady clone as I've ever seen. If we have a shot at him and choose to pass him by then I'll be really surprised. He wouldn't have to switch his identity to fit in here at all. Belichick HAS to be loving this dude.

The Cowboys need picks and reportedly welcome a trade out of their pick at 10.
Is that high enough for Fields, Wilson or Trey Lance? No. Mac Jones? Depends on Atlanta at 4. If they take Fields, Mac Jones is possibly gone by pick 9.
If they don't take Fields, BB has an opportunity to trade up with Cincy, the Eagles or Lions.

It would take the Pats' 15th pick + the 3rd rnd comp pick, 96 + the 4th rnd comp pick, 139 to come out even on the Jimmy Johnson version 2.0 draft chart now known as the Rich Hill Draft Value Chart. 2018 NFL Draft Value Chart

10 isn't high enough for either of these players but it shows the cost to move up in the draft.

Here's how I see it for the teams in need of QBs.
1. Jags- TLawrence
2. JETE - Zach Wilson
3. Miami -
4. Atlanta - Justin Fields (high probability although they could ride with Matt Ryan) A lot rides on what Atlanta does here.
5. Bengals -
6. Eagles -
7. Lions -
8. Panthers - Trey Lance
9. Denver - Mac Jones here or a trade up with Miami for Fields at 3 or with Bengals for Lance at 5. They need a QB.
10. Cowboys -

In this scenario the top 5 QBs will be gone by pick 9.
If you're BB, how would you play this out?
15 is worth 315 pts
3, 514. Deficit = 200 pts.
5, 468. = 153 pts
6, 446. = 131 pts
7, 425. = 110 pts.

The Patriots current 2021 draft capital is listed below:
  • Round 1, Pick 15 (15) - Assigned Selection
  • Round 2, Pick 15 (46) - Assigned Selection
  • Round 3, Pick 33 (96) - Compensatory Selection
  • Round 4, Pick 15 (120) - Assigned Selection
  • Round 4, Pick 17 (122) - From Arizona Cardinals through Houston Texans
  • Round 4, Pick 34 (139) - Compensatory Selection
  • Round 5, Pick 33 (177) - Compensatory Selection
  • Round 6, Pick 4 (188) - From Houston Texans
  • Round 6, Pick 13 (197) - From Dallas Cowboys
  • Round 7, Pick 15 (242) - Assigned Selection
46 = 128 pts
96 = 39.4 pts
120 = 23 pts
122 = 22 pts
139 = 15 pts
177 = 6.5 pts

A trade up to 5, 6 or 7 would be easy to do using our pick 15 + 46 +/-. 5 needs 15 pts. 6 is essentially even and 7 would require a 4th round pick in return.

How much is Gilmore worth in a trade? He'll be 31 in Sept. and wasn't great last year in the 11 games he played. He was PFF's 61st ranked CB last year and ranked 3rd on the Pats behind Jon Jones (5) and JC Jackson (29). A 3rd? Maybe. I'd have a hard time giving him the extra money he wants this year.

Tyreek Hill Pro day results. Height: 5’8 Weight: 185 Vertical: 40.5 inches 40 yd: 4.29 Bench: 13
Rondale Moore pro day: Height: 5’7 Weight: 180 Vertical: 42.5 40 yd: 4.29 Bench: 24 (not at pro day but he posted a video of it)

I think, and I hope I am wrong, that we are all going to be pissed off when the Patriots don't select a qb until the 4th round, if even then.

I think, and I hope I am wrong, that we are all going to be pissed off when the Patriots don't select a qb until the 4th round, if even then.
I think they're taking a QB with their compensatory pick in the 6th round, pick #197.

Just a hunch. And there will probably be six QBs drafted ahead of the one the Pats select. :patriotlogo:

Edit: actually, it's not a compensatory pick, it's one they acquired via a trade with Dallas.

Last edited:
I think they're taking a QB with their compensatory pick in the 6th round, pick #197.

Just a hunch. And there will probably be six QBs drafted ahead of the one the Pats select. :patriotlogo:

Edit: actually, it's not a compensatory pick, it's one they acquired via a trade with Dallas.
They will trade 197 for 199 and then take a QB.

While it would be puzzling, it wouldn't shock me. I'd like to think the aggressiveness in FA will follow to the draft, but definitely could be that BB picks a bunch of project rookies to see which stick.

Trying to Figure out what BB will do will drive you insane. He loves moving down or reaching for players he loves .

For a QB, I honestly don't care about the 40 time. The Pats system to me, is made for a pocket type of passer. I keep saying it and I know people are in love with the dual threat QB's. But the pocket passers have more success at the pro level. So I don't care if Mac Jones ran and left 2 foot deep potholes in his wake from being heavy footed and slow as long as he can process information and read a defense, that's all the speed I need from a QB.

Now WR is a different story, I want Rondale Moore, tackling him will be like trying to tackle a fire hydrant. And he flies, I can only imagine how fast he is on a football field.

Back