The 2024 Draft

In Joel Klatt’s mock draft he has the following QBs in first round.

Williams, Maye and Daniel’s go 1,2,3 Chicago, Washington, NE respectively.

Denver grabs Nix at 12. Nix plays quickly compared to the slow Russel Wilson. Payton and Wilson were a bad match up from the beginning.

Seattle takes JJ McCarthy at 16. The new head coach is a Harbaugh type wanting a ball control offense just like Michigan.

Miami takes Penix at 21 because why would you sign a player (Tua) that’s been concussed a lot to a massive contract.

Personally would think a lot more teams are in the QB market, Giants, Falcons, Raiders,,,

I could see this being the case, but trying to forecast what will happen in the 1st round prior to the Combine and all
the pro day stuff is difficult at best. I'm not sure if it really matters that much for QBs in terms of projecting pro success, but
I definitely believe it affects the perceptions of teams who want every box possible to be checked so they feel comfortable
spending a premium pick on these guys.

Still, with all the OTs and QBs generally projected to go in the first it figures there will be some gems at other positions that get pushed to the 2nd round
and beyond. Some of the IOL guys I've been watching are extremely impressive even though they wouldn't be looked at as a big priority for us.

Small schools have players, too. This 1 plays at Holy Cross, 35 miles from Gillette
H-back in a later round or udfa?

View: https://twitter.com/KeaganStiefel/status/1761122639496536285

Great catch. I saw Coker play versus Fordham last season and he was impressive, but Fordham WR M.J. Wright is a guy I've seen a lot of and
he's been extremely productive at that level and looks like a pro to me.

We could do a lot worse than to sign Wright as a UDFA assuming he doesn't get drafted, which is supposed to be possible. Hell, let's bring
them both in.

PFF's Big Board has 2 QBs in the top 10 picks. Jayden Daniels is #22. Otoh, with Kingsbury in Washington, Daniels seems to fit his offensive style better than Maye.
My guess is Washington trades back with another team that wants Maye and Washington drafts Daniels a little further back. If the Pats want Maye, Wolf should be
talking to them now.

Do you find this to be odd? I always thought PFF rated the production and not traits. Daniel's PFF 2023 season grade is better than William's grade. Sounds like a case of averaging out bad years with a spectacular year.

Daniel Jeremiah has Daniels going 6. Plus I think DJ has better contacts within the league.

Do you find this to be odd? I always thought PFF rated the production and not traits. Daniel's PFF 2023 season grade is better than William's grade. Sounds like a case of averaging out bad years with a spectacular year.

Daniel Jeremiah has Daniels going 6. Plus I think DJ has better contacts within the league.

I think the PFF big board is production over 3 years, JD only had the one great year.

Keep hearing that the Pats want a tough QB.

To me that’s Penix, knock him down, break a knee, he keeps coming back.

Keep hearing that the Pats want a tough QB.

To me that’s Penix, knock him down, break a knee, he keeps coming back.

I was a fan of the guy. He won, he has a really strong arm and seems like an excellent leader but I've come off him as our answer
at the position unless the question was "what big name QB would likely still be available at 34 so we can fix something else at 3
or trade down and maybe help fix two or three things?"

Great college QB. Super productive, but he had tremendous skill guys and a really good OL with a top running game. Despite all of that, his numbers against
pressure were surprisingly bad. Practically bi-polar.

The Wolverines are going to try to get after Penix, and with good reason. He was only pressured on 26.1% of his drop-back attempts. He is 55 of 122 (45.1%) for 1,014 yards with five TDs and three interceptions when under pressure, according to PFF.

And Michigan pressured the hell out of him and won the game. Now, I don't expect our OL to stay as bad as it has been lately, but.......he's going to
face a ton of it in the NFL and the totality of this issue with him is a lot worse than just that stat. He's a pocket guy who has had multiple injuries.

He's a very different breed of cat and posted big numbers throwing downfield. Clearly, he's got a big arm with some velocity, but
he takes a while to wind up and release the ball and throws a lot of line drives. Can he layer it in between coverages? I've never
seen a guy that throws deep balls as flat as he does, but his guys were exceptional at getting open versus college DBs. He got away
with doing that.

I hope he does great in the league, but there are just too many questions for me to pin a ton of hopes on him. Of the top 6 guys I've some
to believe he would be the worst fit for what we are now and where we are trying to go.

I was a fan of the guy. He won, he has a really strong arm and seems like an excellent leader but I've come off him as our answer
at the position unless the question was "what big name QB would likely still be available at 34 so we can fix something else at 3
or trade down and maybe help fix two or three things?"

Great college QB. Super productive, but he had tremendous skill guys and a really good OL with a top running game. Despite all of that, his numbers against
pressure were surprisingly bad. Practically bi-polar.

The Wolverines are going to try to get after Penix, and with good reason. He was only pressured on 26.1% of his drop-back attempts. He is 55 of 122 (45.1%) for 1,014 yards with five TDs and three interceptions when under pressure, according to PFF.

And Michigan pressured the hell out of him and won the game. Now, I don't expect our OL to stay as bad as it has been lately, but.......he's going to
face a ton of it in the NFL and the totality of this issue with him is a lot worse than just that stat. He's a pocket guy who has had multiple injuries.

He's a very different breed of cat and posted big numbers throwing downfield. Clearly, he's got a big arm with some velocity, but
he takes a while to wind up and release the ball and throws a lot of line drives. Can he layer it in between coverages? I've never
seen a guy that throws deep balls as flat as he does, but his guys were exceptional at getting open versus college DBs. He got away
with doing that.

I hope he does great in the league, but there are just too many questions for me to pin a ton of hopes on him. Of the top 6 guys I've some
to believe he would be the worst fit for what we are now and where we are trying to go.
All very valid, but can you name a tougher QB?

A rather subjective subject but they keep mentioning it.

maybe they just meant "someone who doesn't shriek and cry when they sprain an ankle"?
You mean, the guy who looked like was being carried off Omaha beach for an ankle sprain? Or the guy who was in the basement with a brace wanting to come back into the game in '08 after he tore his ACL?

A really good article looking at Daniels, what he did in college, and some of the concerns about drafting him high.

Jayden Daniels' NFL Draft stock has risen more than anyone, but will he live up to it?

Thanks for posting this, HC.
From the beginning that I read it looks to be a good article but it's also loooong.
I'll skip the whole thing for now (I think I know what he's going to say) and read it IF the Pats draft him. I'll be surprised if he's their first choice at 3.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this, HC.
From the beginning that I read it looks to be a good article but it's also loooong.
I'll skip the whole thing for now (I think I know what he's going to say) and read it IF the Pats draft him. I'll be surprised if he's their first choice at 3.

To be fair there are a lot of videos in it! 🤣

I'll try to go back to it when I'm at my PC and pull some bits out.

All very valid, but can you name a tougher QB?
I
A rather subjective subject but they keep mentioning it.

I'm not suggesting that Penix isn't tough or any of the other QB candidates in the draft are. Toughness is subjective, but is also
related to body type and size because you can be an absolute badass of a dude but if your body starts coming apart
when you get hit hard then your inner warrior doesn't matter much.

You want me to name a tougher QB? I see your Mike Penix Jr. and raise you Jacoby Brissett. I've seen big guys with a
head of steam bounce off him like he has an adamantium skeleton. All day tough. That doesn't make him a particularly
great QB. I could also mention that while Penix will definitely play when hurt, he has also missed a ton of time with major
injuries, so does the latter thing trump the former? I don't know, but I'm more concerned with other parts of Penix's game
like the massive drop in his productivity when he's pressured. Bottom line is that we have the ammunition to do better,
but I have respect for him and hope he has a good career in the NFL.

I'm not suggesting that Penix isn't tough or any of the other QB candidates in the draft are. Toughness is subjective, but is also
related to body type and size because you can be an absolute badass of a dude but if your body starts coming apart
when you get hit hard then your inner warrior doesn't matter much.
Jimmy Garapolo syndrome.

Back