The 2024 Draft

Are you suggesting that Mel Kiper is not an idiot?
0521f402-2662-49a7-81bd-89998216284e_text.gif

That's the great question of this draft: who is in McCarthy's corner planting this momentum with the press, who seems to be lapping it up? I've never seen anything like it.

JJ McCarthy QB Michigan​

by Drew Boylhart • January 29, 2024​

STRENGTHS
Jonathan James is a winner. He has the arm strength and arm talent to make all the throws when he needs to make them. He has solid athletic talent to run the ball if needed. JJ can play under center or from the shotgun and has a high football IQ. JJ is a leader and knows how to win games athletically, and mentally during a game. He does an excellent job of using the talent around him but what he truly brings with him to the next level is the “Drive” to win. The need to win and the need to help his teammates win.
CONCERNS
JJ needs to manipulate the pocket better, giving his offensive line a better chance to protect him. He is more of a pocket passer than an “on the move” type of QB and this will help him to gain more time in the pocket and extend plays. Right now, he is not adept at extending plays as much as some other QB’s in this draft.
BOTTOM LINE: 1.40
Winning, Winning, Winning…this is a QB who will throw the ball, 17 times, takes 4 sacks while his team is winning 52 to 7. Think about that, that’s leadership, and that’s a winning QB. In another game, he threw the ball 27 times scored 4 TD’s, and took 1 sack. In that game, Michigan won 49 to 0. Think about that too! I believe that Stats tell a story but don’t tell the whole story. That’s why when I profile a quarterback, I look very hard for talent but more so, for the quality in a QB, that shows me he has more than just talent. JJ’s leadership jumps off the film at me. It’s “How” he plays the game, adjusts during a game, and listens to his coaches during a game. It’s how he communicates what his coaches try to do to his teammates, during the game. He is not perfect athletically, but you can also see the “Drive” in him to improve and minimize his weaknesses and not to let down his teammates down when everyone wonders athletically if he can make the impact throw and play. That’s the key to his leadership. He wants his teammates to succeed and is willing to put them in a position to succeed without being just a “hollow” cheerleader on the sidelines after a three-and-out. JJ understands what it takes to win and that is what he will bring to the team that selects him in this draft.

Drew Boylhart

right now I'm between Daniels and JJ. If we have to draft at 3 and Daniels is on the board, I would go with him.
If we trade down a few spots, pick up another 2nd rounder, then I would go with JJ at 7 or 8 if Daniels is gone.

Jayden Daniels vs JJ McCarthy?

Jayden Daniels all day long. In addition to arm strength and athleticism, Daniels has processing speed that McCarthy (and Maye, too, for that matter) don't have.
This shouldn't even be in question.

JJ McCarthy QB Michigan​

STRENGTHS
Jonathan James is a winner. He has the arm strength and arm talent to make all the throws when he needs to make them. He has solid athletic talent to run the ball if needed. JJ can play under center or from the shotgun and has a high football IQ. JJ is a leader and knows how to win games athletically, and mentally during a game. He does an excellent job of using the talent around him but what he truly brings with him to the next level is the “Drive” to win. The need to win and the need to help his teammates win.
CONCERNS
JJ needs to manipulate the pocket better, giving his offensive line a better chance to protect him. He is more of a pocket passer than an “on the move” type of QB and this will help him to gain more time in the pocket and extend plays. Right now, he is not adept at extending plays as much as some other QB’s in this draft.
Winning, Winning, Winning…this is a QB who will throw the ball, 17 times, takes 4 sacks while his team is winning 52 to 7. Think about that, that’s leadership, and that’s a winning QB. In another game, he threw the ball 27 times scored 4 TD’s, and took 1 sack. In that game, Michigan won 49 to 0. Think about that too! I believe that Stats tell a story but don’t tell the whole story. That’s why when I profile a quarterback, I look very hard for talent but more so, for the quality in a QB, that shows me he has more than just talent. JJ’s leadership jumps off the film at me. It’s “How” he plays the game, adjusts during a game, and listens to his coaches during a game. It’s how he communicates what his coaches try to do to his teammates, during the game. He is not perfect athletically, but you can also see the “Drive” in him to improve and minimize his weaknesses and not to let down his teammates down when everyone wonders athletically if he can make the impact throw and play. That’s the key to his leadership. He wants his teammates to succeed and is willing to put them in a position to succeed without being just a “hollow” cheerleader on the sidelines after a three-and-out. JJ understands what it takes to win and that is what he will bring to the team that selects him in this draft.

Drew Boylhart

right now I'm between Daniels and JJ. If we have to draft at 3 and Daniels is on the board, I would go with him.
If we trade down a few spots, pick up another 2nd rounder, then I would go with JJ at 7 or 8 if Daniels is gone.
:dith::dith::dith::dith::dith:

Someone needs to find the analysis done showing JJ's performance (including stats) from before Michigan lost their head cheater and after they lost hime. He dropped offf a cliff when he didn't KNOW what defense the opponent was actually playing.

In the meantime, why folks are performing written blow jobs on JJ is beyond me.

Drake Maye isn't a consolation prize if he's the pick at 3. He has a lot of outstanding traits you want to see from a QB. Yes, he has some issues to clean up but good
coaching can clean up his footwork, drifting tendencies and processing speed and then you've got a QB who has the skills and toughness to compete. His decision making
should improve with better preparedness and understanding of the offensive scheme and should improve more as he learns to read/react to defenses. His intangibles and tangibles
are reported to be first rate.

Whether it's Maye or Daniels at 3, they both will need a year on the bench, imo, before being thrown into games and then they'll need an OC who can scheme to their strengths.

View: https://twitter.com/NBCSBoston/status/1774953794943492537

Last edited:
Very stupid question - if Maye and Daniels go 1-2, is it Williams or can the Pats trade that pick for more than what it might have been valued at had Williams been gone?

:dith::dith::dith::dith::dith:

Someone needs to find the analysis done showing JJ's performance (including stats) from before Michigan lost their head cheater and after they lost hime. He dropped offf a cliff when he didn't KNOW what defense the opponent was actually playing.

In the meantime, why folks are performing written blow jobs on JJ is beyond me.
Boylhart has been around for 20 years or more. I've used his the Huddle Report site long before some of these others have come around He has no agenda, but he can be wrong like anyone else.
I know that you have a bias against all things Wolverine. To my eyes, JJ seems to be the QB that you want when the game is on the line with a few minutes left. I like him better than Maye or Williams.

JJ McCarthy QB Michigan​

STRENGTHS
CONCERNS

Drew Boylhart

Did Brady have a write up way back then? I'm guessing it was mixed at best. you never know with any of these guys.

Did Brady have a write up way back then? I'm guessing it was mixed at best. you never know with any of these guys.
You know, in the Sporting News they had a article, before the draft, stating that Brady was the most underrated player in the draft. I still have that draft guide in storage.
I have them going back to 1996. At the time Joel Bushbaum
was doing his guide, and had Brady rated as a 4th rounder. My code at the time had Brady P5, meaning Patriots 5th round.
I was smarter than all the NFL teams. :D

Boylhart has been around for 20 years or more. I've used his the Huddle Report site long before some of these others have come around He has no agenda, but he can be wrong like anyone else.
I know that you have a bias against all things Wolverine. To my eyes, JJ seems to be the QB that you want when the game is on the line with a few minutes left. I like him better than Maye or Williams.
Me biased against the Michigan Wolverines? Unpossible!

Not me. Give me Caleb Williams first and failing that I'm liking a guy no one is contemplating and it's not popular - Michael Penix so long as he's healthy and he's been healthy for 2 years.
So if this were left to me I'd trade down to pick up another high pick and grab an OT or WR then Penix. Why Penix? In short...arm strength, accuracy, experience, athleticism and no bad, hard to correct traits like Maye and he's not a 2 year wonder like Jayden Daniels who also had 2 world class WRs he was throwing to. Yes, I understand Daniels threw for 40 TDs /4 ints and that's phenomenal but what did he do his prior 4 years? 49 TDs / 16 ints. Still good but not 40/4 good. I'd take Williams, then Penix then Daniels or wait til next year.

In the end, it may come down to what offense AVP wants to run.
West Coast - Nix, Rattler & McCarthy
Spread - Williams, Penix, Daniels and Maye
Ehrhardt-Perkins - Williams, Penix and Maye

None of these QBs is great at decision making. They all have problems with pre-snap and post-snap reads & getting through progressions quickly, including Williams. Calling plays in the huddle, playing under center, working the pocket. They all have so much to learn. None of them is NFL ready or the perfect candidate. They all need to sit until they pick things up.
How they perform year 2 will largely be up to the coaching they get year 1 and the quality of players they are playing with.

Following up on Chev's report on Drake Maye

So much of the New England Patriots’ 2024 draft (and really their entire 2024 season) comes down to which quarterback they (presumably) take with the third overall pick. That choice will likely come down to whoever is still an option once they’re on the clock: Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels.

The two quarterbacks have different skill sets and present different problems for opposing defenses. So with the draft three weeks away, we’re taking an in-depth look at the strengths and weaknesses of each quarterback to get a sense of what the Patriots could be landing.

Earlier this week, we broke down Maye’s game. Now, we delve into Daniels of LSU.

Strengths

No player in this draft delivers explosive plays like Daniels, something that could be quite appealing for a Patriots offense that has lacked excitement since Tom Brady left town. Last season, Daniels recorded an FBS-best 90 (!) plays of 20-plus yards. It’s obviously not an apples-to-apples comparison, but the entire Patriots offense produced 37 such plays last season, the fewest in the NFL.

Daniels’ success along those lines speaks to two massive strengths in his game: his running ability and his deep ball.

The 23-year-old Daniels has incredible vision as a runner and rushed for 8.4 yards per carry last season to go with 10 touchdowns on the ground. He became the first player in SEC history to top 3,800 passing yards and 1,000 rushing yards in a single season. He put together a Heisman Trophy-winning season by averaging 412 yards of offense per game, the most of any player in the FBS (Maye was No. 2, 74 yards behind Daniels). Daniels’ father was a Division I cornerback, and Daniels runs with the shiftiness of a slick cover corner. Daniels didn’t run the 40-yard dash at the combine, but he will enter the NFL as one of the fastest quarterbacks in the league.

Daniels also offers the ability to throw the ball deep and outside the numbers. On throws of 20-plus yards last season, Daniels completed 67 percent of his passes and had a 22-to-0 touchdown-to-interception rate. That’s incredible.

LSU coach Brian Kelly praised his work ethic, and he was voted a team captain last season in Baton Rouge. The five-year starter, who spent three seasons at Arizona State, went 37-18 overall as a collegian.

Weaknesses

Daniels is a bit of an outlier given his slender stature. Any conversation about his weakness probably needs to start there. Daniels weighed 210 pounds at his pro day last week (which a Patriots contingent attended), an important number given there was some fear he played at 205 pounds or less.

That number is important because of the cutoff it represents. Since 2000, only five quarterbacks who weighed less than 205 pounds have started 14 games or more in a season: Aaron Brooks, Kirk Cousins, Doug Flutie, Jeff Garcia and Bryce Young. Since 2016, only three quarterbacks who weighed 210 pounds or less have started 14 games or more in a season: Cousins, Young and Kyler Murray.

Daniels is tall (6-foot-3) but slight, and that body frame is not just an anomaly among successful NFL quarterbacks, but it becomes even riskier with the way Daniels plays. He doesn’t have a good feel for when to slide while running or even how to get hit, so he tends to take massive shots. He mostly stayed healthy in college despite those big hits, but it’s quite risky to be that size and play the way he does. Injuries seem almost inevitable in the NFL, especially if he continues to scramble at a high rate.

That’s the other big knock against him – how quickly Daniels pivots to scrambling, sometimes tucking the ball to run as soon as his first read in the passing game isn’t open. His scramble rate is significantly higher than other top quarterbacks in recent years, indicating he bolts from the pocket before he needs to. While that mostly worked in college, it’s less likely to be effective in the NFL.

Daniels mostly picked apart defenses last season with a great deep ball and a good feel for throwing outside the numbers, but that’s likely not a great option for him next season if he lands in New England. He’s a bit like Russell Wilson with his penchant for throwing deep and outside while struggling with throws over the middle, but he runs more like Lamar Jackson.

The drawback for Daniels if he ends up with the Patriots is that they don’t have receivers on the roster who tend to win downfield or outside the numbers. It doesn’t mean you don’t draft a quarterback because your supporting cast doesn’t fit his strengths, but it’s worth noting. And if they do pick him at No. 3, it indicates the type of receiver they might look for in the second or third round.

Daniels benefited by having superb talent around him at LSU, and you can argue that his top two receivers last season — Malik Nabers and Brian Thomas — would be better than his top two options next season if he lands with the Pats. That would be an adjustment for Daniels.

Daniels was a three-year starter at Arizona State before transferring to LSU and was good but not great in Tempe. If he declared for the draft last year, he probably would’ve been a late-round pick.

Lastly, Daniels is on the older side for a first-round quarterback. He’ll turn 24 in December, making him the oldest of the top four quarterbacks (Caleb Williams, J.J. McCarthy, Maye and Daniels).

Conclusion

Daniels could be a one-man fix for the Patriots offense, especially when it comes to creating explosive plays. But there’s more inherent risk with him than the other top quarterbacks given his size and the fact that he really only had one dominant season in college, one that came when he had some of the best receivers in college football (Nabers and Thomas could be top-15 picks).

There’s a chance Daniels lives up to his potential and is able to throw downfield like Wilson while scrambling like Jackson. That would make for a quarterback who’s awfully difficult to defend. But he also seems to have a lower floor than other high-end quarterback prospects, starting with the concerns about his size.

Back