The 2024 Draft

The PFF podcast with Steve Palazzo and Sam Munson discussed the 30 visits at once in Washington. It’s the podcast with Dane Brugler.

Starting at the 53 minute mark they start discussing the “Alpha test” / social test. Washington has all the highly ranked QBs plus additIonal players compete at TopGolf and the braintrust sits backs to determine ”Who is the Alpha”. Which guy commands the room?

Then Steve and Sam discuss many past drafts via the alpha test. Munson thinks it’s virtually fool proof.

entertaining.

The PFF podcast with Steve Palazzo and Sam Munson discussed the 30 visits at once in Washington. It’s the podcast with Dane Brugler.

Starting at the 53 minute mark they start discussing the “Alpha test” / social test. Washington has all the highly ranked QBs plus additIonal players compete at TopGolf and the braintrust sits backs to determine ”Who is the Alpha”. Which guy commands the room?

Then Steve and Sam discuss many past drafts via the alpha test. Munson thinks it’s virtually fool proof.

entertaining.

The Commanders took some crap from one of the agents and others for doing the group meet, but Belichick was asked about it
and went on to explain that there are some practical considerations for that and the Pats used to do it somewhat the same, although not
at Topgolf or anything like that. They did have smaller groups which they would split up depending on position, etc.

That was news to me. He said that on Pat McAfee's show the other day. I assumed the 30 meets were all individual, but it's not
uncommon.

As a golfer, I can vouch for the fact that a lot of alpha types are simply terrible at golf and vice-versa, so I don't know how going to TopGolf would give
a ton of insight into that. Maybe they didn't have a long drive contest or anything like that but just hung out in their meeting rooms and so forth.

One more thing on that PFF podcast, one says “Remember next Thursday night is our big pff coverage of the first round. The second guy says, “umm, Pat MacAfee is going to have Belichick on his show. We’re going to need a second screen..”

One more thing on that PFF podcast, one says “Remember next Thursday night is our big pff coverage of the first round. The second guy says, “umm, Pat MacAfee is going to have Belichick on his show. We’re going to need a second screen..”

I'm pretty fired up to listen to Bill. For those that didn't hear it, he did a 32 minute gig on McAfee's show on Wednesday (I think) and he was great.

Kraft might have canned the guy, but just look at the expressions on the faces of the crew on that show and they were like little kids on Christmas
morning. One of them is a Boston guy and he rolled up his sleeve to show Bill his tattoo of "We're on to Cincinnatti -- William James Beichick". Bill
is, by far, the Gandalf of the NFL and when he is really being himself and not doing his iguana persona for the media then he is simply blowing
people away with not only how much stuff he knows, but the coherent, relatable way he expresses it all.

I will say that I'm especially curious how he handles the Pats pick for obvious reasons. It's crazy really. I don't know what to think.

Here's the clip:

View: https://youtu.be/hbbCAtFyO1g?si=lJKhjuNwiN6Jt0CL

I'm pretty fired up to listen to Bill. For those that didn't hear it, he did a 32 minute gig on McAfee's show on Wednesday (I think) and he was great.

Kraft might have canned the guy, but just look at the expressions on the faces of the crew on that show and they were like little kids on Christmas
morning. One of them is a Boston guy and he rolled up his sleeve to show Bill his tattoo of "We're on to Cincinnatti -- William James Beichick". Bill
is, by far, the Gandalf of the NFL and when he is really being himself and not doing his iguana persona for the media then he is simply blowing
people away with not only how much stuff he knows, but the coherent, relatable way he expresses it all.

I will say that I'm especially curious how he handles the Pats pick for obvious reasons. It's crazy really. I don't know what to think.

Here's the clip:

Thanks for posting that. Certainly not the Bill that we are use to standing at the podium during pressers. :D
I learned more about the draft process watching that than 30 years of Mel Kiper.

Last edited:

Here's the clip:

You know it's trendy now to piss on BB the GM. But think back over the years and look at all the very, very good players that he had drafted over the years.
Rewatched the 6 SB winning teams and look at the really good players on those teams.
Yes, there was Tom as the common denominator. But Tom had so many good players on those teams to help him and even bail him out from making bonehead mistakes.
I would love to know what was going through BB head when he saw both DMac and Gronk on the board at the same time.

Last edited:
on sirius yesterday, one guy was dimitroff not sure of other because came into the middle of it but they were talking about the thought that a great qb covers some stuff and said how bb would take good players and help them look great because he would develop and use them in a way to really highlight their best attributes (they mentioned bru,vrabes, etc.) and that when you have him plus the qb you get what the pats had when tb was there. and maybe that's why they HAVE to have a top flight qb now just to try to keep their heads above water,because of losing bb. and it was the host who posited that,not bb's former staffer.

Last edited:
I agree with this and have no idea how our guys evaluate any of the QBs in this draft. There are arguments pro and con all over
the place and nobody can be sure.

I happen to believe that Maye is not just a first-round QB, but somebody that can and will justify the 3rd slot, but the temptation
to stockpile picks and "fix a lot of holes" is going to worth a long think for our guys. I'm not saying it's a dumb idea for anything
other than landing the right franchise QB. Then, imo, it's a bad plan.

I was dead wrong about Mac Jones being what we needed 3 years ago and think I now understand (at least in part) why he looked so much better in College
than he did up here. I have tried to factor all of that while watching Drake. One thing that became apparent quickly is that Mac's physical
stature and lack of athleticism was a bigger problem than I thought. I overrated his arm, his pocket sense, touch and most importantly --
his ability to lead. I thought he was way more cerebral than he showed in the NFL and he'd be a natural fit for our offense. Well........it
didn't work out, but there isn't a whole lot of overlap between those two guys. Maye's traits are far better for today's NFL than Mac's and
a large majority of the first round QBs of recent years.

My opinion, for what little that is worth, is that the new regime agrees with my views, loves Drake and will be happy to redshirt him while we retool the
roster. I'm good with trading any of the other picks, but not 3.

I admit that if Washington doesn't do the expected and take Daniels and Maye is gone at 2 then I have no viable plan B. This year I'm like a
runaway dump truck with a skeleton behind the wheel. We get him and shit will change, if we don't then it'll be a big setback.
If they don’t love who’s there at three, I hope they trade back, and get Penix later. I think teaching him how to throw shorter touch passes, would be easier than teaching someone how to throw accurately down the field.

I'm looking forward to this year when we have the privilege of listening to Bill on the McAfee show in his run-up prior to the draft. Bill already said he'd be talking mostly about the QBs but also about the OTs and WRs. I'm interested in learning what Bill really thinks about all these prospects and who he thinks will draft whom. Interestingly, on Wednesday's McAfee show
Bill said a lot of the info leaked within 12 hours of the draft turns out to be far more accurate than stuff leaked previous month. Can't wait.

If they don’t love who’s there at three, I hope they trade back, and get Penix later. I think teaching him how to throw shorter touch passes, would be easier than teaching someone how to throw accurately down the field.

I wouldn't be opposed to Nix either as long as they get a real haul for trading back. I'm thinking 3 firsts and a player would be a haul.

I agree with this and have no idea how our guys evaluate any of the QBs in this draft. There are arguments pro and con all over
the place and nobody can be sure.

I happen to believe that Maye is not just a first-round QB, but somebody that can and will justify the 3rd slot, but the temptation
to stockpile picks and "fix a lot of holes" is going to worth a long think for our guys. I'm not saying it's a dumb idea for anything
other than landing the right franchise QB. Then, imo, it's a bad plan.

I was dead wrong about Mac Jones being what we needed 3 years ago and think I now understand (at least in part) why he looked so much better in College
than he did up here. I have tried to factor all of that while watching Drake. One thing that became apparent quickly is that Mac's physical
stature and lack of athleticism was a bigger problem than I thought. I overrated his arm, his pocket sense, touch and most importantly --
his ability to lead. I thought he was way more cerebral than he showed in the NFL and he'd be a natural fit for our offense. Well........it
didn't work out, but there isn't a whole lot of overlap between those two guys. Maye's traits are far better for today's NFL than Mac's and
a large majority of the first round QBs of recent years.

My opinion, for what little that is worth, is that the new regime agrees with my views, loves Drake and will be happy to redshirt him while we retool the
roster. I'm good with trading any of the other picks, but not 3.

I admit that if Washington doesn't do the expected and take Daniels and Maye is gone at 2 then I have no viable plan B. This year I'm like a
runaway dump truck with a skeleton behind the wheel. We get him and shit will change, if we don't then it'll be a big setback.

View: https://twitter.com/ezlazar/status/1780692139820626193

Nix and Penix are going in the 3rd? Highly doubtful…
If NFL teams weren't batshit crazy, Nix would be. I think Penix would be a top-50 pick.

I think they both go in the first round, at this rate.

If things were assessed normally, I think it would go:

Williams - Top 5
Maye - Late 1st
Daniels - Late 1st, Early 2nd
Penix - Mid 2nd (top 50)
Nix - Early/Mid 3rd
McCarthy - Day 3 (Late 4th/Early 5th)
Milton - Day 3 (5th round)
Pratt - Day 3 (6th/7th)
Rattler - UDFA
Travis - UDFA
Hartmann - UDFA
Reed - UDFA

That's still 4 QBs in the top 50, which is a pretty strong class. However, I think you could see those top 6 QBs going in the first round, which is crazy, and all of those QBs getting drafted, which is even more crazy. I think at this rate, if Bailey Zappe were in this class, he'd go Day 2, the way things are going.

Also, I'm going to follow who gets Joe Milton, and hope it's a team with a good development staff. I think if he had shown any ability at all to read a defense, he'd be the #1 overall pick. I'm also assuming that's something that can be taught, although that might not be true.

Here's the clip:

Look at the comments in that clip. Bill has become incredibly popular now with fanbases outside of NE. That will only continue and he'll be listed to by football fans everywhere. This is the great hammer blow for Kraft. Since Bill has left, Bill has gotten way more popular and Kraft is now hated by his own fanbase...

Back