The 2024 Draft

I've made my call as to who I prefer, but Penix is a really unusual/unique prospect that I'll be very interested to watch
in the league as long as it isn't here. I keep hearing he's maybe a backup guy or fringe starter, but he does the deep passing stuff as well as
anybody. He's got a hell of an arm, but is only accurate when throwing deep. He is strictly a pocket passer and his pressure
numbers are really bad, but he does the hardest thing you can ask a QB to do exceptionally well. He also seems like a fine
leader. He's a little older and will be 24 in May.

I won't bet against him, but there are a lot of question marks for him to answer.

I don't really remember a guy with this kind of profile. He's like a great 3 point shooter who can't hit a free throw or a 2 pointer.

He's a one-trick pony, but it's a really special trick. 🤷
Did you watch Maye vs Clemson?

The Clemson Dline was too good for NC, which could correspond to here, but to me Maye isn’t a totally clean prospect.
A number of throws that were “whoa, where is that ball going?”, add a throw into the DB room. Not sure how well he can handle a compressed pocket.

He does have talent but you can also some questionable play.

The Clemson Dline was too good for NC, which could correspond to here, but to me Maye isn’t a totally clean prospect.
A number of throws that were “whoa, where is that ball going?”, add a throw into the DB room. Not sure how well he can handle a compressed pocket.

None of the QBs in this draft are perfect prospects and that includes Caleb Williams.

What GMs have to do is project them to the NFL and decide which one fits their team best with the least amount of fixable flaws and no deal-breaker flaws.
Then they have to weigh that prospect's value against their other options and decide which option offers the best value to their team's success.
Picking a QB at 3 because you need a QB isn't the right reason to pick a QB. You have to like the guy as a prospect!

AJ Simon, defensive lineman from the University of Albany, died yesterday. He was expected to be a late round pick or possibly an undrafted rookie free agent. The Pats had a pre-draft interview with him. No cause of death yet. He was 25.

Don’t look at me, I never said anything… ☕

I just read that exact phrase "compressed pocket" to describe why Daniels isn't as good a prospect as Maye. I'm not criticizing your
opinion, but illustrating how crazy all the conflicting reports are to figure out kernels of good stuff.

My take on Maye is that I've seen him show the ability to do everything a QB can and needs to do. He's got the ability to scan
quickly and hit his 3rd option, take a knock, throw lasers with pinpoint accuracy, run like a short-yardage tank and make people miss in the
open field in a way strangely similar to APerp. I think his judgement is usually really good, He has core strength and his guys love
to play for him. I've seen him use excellent footwork and protect the ball with good fundamentals. I've seen him able to execute every kind
of throw and create very well on the run. Pocket and off-platform, he can get it done. I've seen him engineer last-second comebacks and carry his team.

So, when I see a guy who has those kind of traits I'm able to rationalize, or project, that he can take instruction and improve every
part of that game. I know he isn't a "totally clean prospect" or close to being a polished pro. He's six years or more from his physical prime and the kid isn't a
dummy. I don't want him to play this year at all. Hand him a clipboard and let him take a few snaps in TC and preseason and I believe
that will be enough to raise some eyebrows about what the future could look like while we try to fix the protection etc., to give him
a legit shot to thrive in '25. He's a puppy and needs training but so did practically every QB in the league who became successful enough
to be guys that College prospects get compared to. This guy has the potential to be one of the best and we should have the balls to risk it
and the skills to help bring it out in him.

Everybody says that you have to start the 3rd pick in the draft, but I call bullshit. Sit him and let the media suck on it. Make that a
continuing Foxboro tradition.

I'm willing to roll the dice on him becoming an excellent pro QB (with an understanding that it might go tits up) because he can move the needle
in a way that MHJ or anybody else we could select could. Give us hope that our post-Brady nightmare will soon be a thing of the past.
He could make us a relevant team again in ways that I don't think anybody not named Caleb Williams could and this is a chance I don't believe we
should or can pass on. He would be the building block.

Just my opinion. In one week we'll find out. I'll take a chance on the puppy with big paws.

None of the QBs in this draft are perfect prospects and that includes Caleb Williams.

What GMs have to do is project them to the NFL and decide which one fits their team best with the least amount of fixable flaws and no deal-breaker flaws.
Then they have to weigh that prospect's value against their other options and decide which option offers the best value to their team's success.
Picking a QB at 3 because you need a QB isn't the right reason to pick a QB. You have to like the guy as a prospect!
This is one of those times I wish I could like a comment like 50 times.

I hated Polian when he was with Buffalo and the Colts but what he says in this article about QB evaluation is GOLD.
Everyone here should read it 3 times and stick it in memory.
For example, of his 4 requirements for a QB, 3 are mental and only 1 is physical. This is a great article; it's short but it's GOLD.

This is what I've been saying for month to those who say we need to draft "a quarterback".
No, we shouldn't draft "a quarterback" at #3 just because we need one. Draft only the right quarterback and keep your fingers crossed. If you are not 100% on a player then try to trade down or pick a non quarterback.

Polian explained, “The most difficult thing you have to judge with a quarterback is a) his ability to recognize defenses, b) his ability to process it quickly, c) his ability to know where to go with the football and d) the ability to do it accurately under pressure.

“Notice, nowhere in there did I say making off-platform throws, escaping, all that stuff. If a player has that, if it’s (Kansas City quarterback Patrick) Mahomes or a player like that, that’s wonderful. But it’s not required.

I am probably in the minority, but I'm in the camp of trade down, pick up a lot of extra picks this year and next, and then go about fixing things like WRs and OL and take a flyer of a later QB like Penix or Nix.
Nix and Penix are going in the 3rd? Highly doubtful…

This is what I've been saying for month to those who say we need to draft "a quarterback".
No, we shouldn't draft "a quarterback" at #3 just because we need one. Draft only the right quarterback and keep your fingers crossed. If you are not 100% on a player then try to trade down or pick a non quarterback.

I agree with this and have no idea how our guys evaluate any of the QBs in this draft. There are arguments pro and con all over
the place and nobody can be sure.

I happen to believe that Maye is not just a first-round QB, but somebody that can and will justify the 3rd slot, but the temptation
to stockpile picks and "fix a lot of holes" is going to worth a long think for our guys. I'm not saying it's a dumb idea for anything
other than landing the right franchise QB. Then, imo, it's a bad plan.

I was dead wrong about Mac Jones being what we needed 3 years ago and think I now understand (at least in part) why he looked so much better in College
than he did up here. I have tried to factor all of that while watching Drake. One thing that became apparent quickly is that Mac's physical
stature and lack of athleticism was a bigger problem than I thought. I overrated his arm, his pocket sense, touch and most importantly --
his ability to lead. I thought he was way more cerebral than he showed in the NFL and he'd be a natural fit for our offense. Well........it
didn't work out, but there isn't a whole lot of overlap between those two guys. Maye's traits are far better for today's NFL than Mac's and
a large majority of the first round QBs of recent years.

My opinion, for what little that is worth, is that the new regime agrees with my views, loves Drake and will be happy to redshirt him while we retool the
roster. I'm good with trading any of the other picks, but not 3.

I admit that if Washington doesn't do the expected and take Daniels and Maye is gone at 2 then I have no viable plan B. This year I'm like a
runaway dump truck with a skeleton behind the wheel. We get him and shit will change, if we don't then it'll be a big setback.

I agree with this and have no idea how our guys evaluate any of the QBs in this draft. There are arguments pro and con all over
the place and nobody can be sure.

I happen to believe that Maye is not just a first-round QB, but somebody that can and will justify the 3rd slot, but the temptation
to stockpile picks and "fix a lot of holes" is going to worth a long think for our guys. I'm not saying it's a dumb idea for anything
other than landing the right franchise QB. Then, imo, it's a bad plan.

I was dead wrong about Mac Jones being what we needed 3 years ago and think I now understand (at least in part) why he looked so much better in College
than he did up here. I have tried to factor all of that while watching Drake. One thing that became apparent quickly is that Mac's physical
stature and lack of athleticism was a bigger problem than I thought. I overrated his arm, his pocket sense, touch and most importantly --
his ability to lead. I thought he was way more cerebral than he showed in the NFL and he'd be a natural fit for our offense. Well........it
didn't work out, but there isn't a whole lot of overlap between those two guys. Maye's traits are far better for today's NFL than Mac's and
a large majority of the first round QBs of recent years.

My opinion, for what little that is worth, is that the new regime agrees with my views, loves Drake and will be happy to redshirt him while we retool the
roster. I'm good with trading any of the other picks, but not 3.

I admit that if Washington doesn't do the expected and take Daniels and Maye is gone at 2 then I have no viable plan B. This year I'm like a
runaway dump truck with a skeleton behind the wheel. We get him and shit will change, if we don't then it'll be a big setback.
This year I feel empty inside. I have no one that I have fallen in love with.
By now I usually have flirted with a few, but have given my heart to The One.

This year I feel empty inside. I have no one that I have fallen in love with.
By now I usually have flirted with a few, but have given my heart to The One.

I told myself that I'd never have a binky again, but.......it seems to happens every Spring. The fact
that we are right near the top of the draft was a flame this moth could not resist. I went in feeling
completely unbiased, did my homework and after a while it became clear. I had seen enough. I was in
love again. Maye is the One.

I'm going to be looking forward to that moment, in less than a week, when Washington's pick comes in and '
I hear that the rumors were true. It's Daniels. Then, I get 15 minutes to anticipate that we're going to get my guy,
our guy. And when it is official I'm going to be euphoric. Our national status will instantly change. All the
people out there who have wanking themselves furiously while enjoying our little crash through the floorboards
will suddenly feel a familiar cold chill go up their spines. They'll hear a little voice in their heads saying Shit. Here come
the fucking Patriots again.

I believe that everything is going to subtly shift before the clock strikes nine in a little more than six days and
I plan to enjoy every second of it. We've had a ton of historic moments along the way through two dynasties but
this pick will eventually be viewed as one of the great moments in franchise history.

And if none of the above happens and I'm crushed, I'll just get over it, like I always have, and move on.

Back