The Bruins look good

I've been pumped about the Bruins since the playoffs last year. I hope they continue their winning ways.

As Excited as I am about the Bruins, I will not allow myself ever get past the fact that as long as Jeremy Jacobs owns this team they are only built to go so far. The Charlie Brown Analogy is PERFECT for this team.

Gotta say, though- I LOVE the work ethic of this team.

As Excited as I am about the Bruins, I will not allow myself ever get past the fact that as long as Jeremy Jacobs owns this team they are only built to go so far. The Charlie Brown Analogy is PERFECT for this team.

Gotta say, though- I LOVE the work ethic of this team.
HS, now that there's a cap, and as long as the Bs are spending close to or at the cap, I think the whold Jacobs angle is overplayed.

I'm not a fan of the Jacobs family, let's be clear, but I think it's not as clear cut as you're suggesting that the Bs can't win with Jacobs as the owner.

Chiarelli has really turned me around with how he's built this team.

I have this good feeling that Jeremy Jacobs has finally said I’m not making as much money as I use to on the Bruins and looking at what New England’s other pro teams have done in the past few years makes him look the a corporate weasel. So maybe a new dawn is upon us with this team, I hope:thumb:

The B's are a great group of people with a strong balance between vets and youth. In fact, I think they have 6 forwards under the age of 25 (Bergeron, Kessel, Krejci, Lucic, Wheeler, Nokelainen). Defense is their weak link- after Chara and Wideman, they have a group of 5/6/7 d-men filling the important 3-4 slots. If the B's could somehow land a legit No. 2 or 3 defender, I think they'd really be cooking. Goaltending is interesting- Thomas can be a world-beater most nights, but he isn't a fundamentals player, so when he's off, he's brutal. Manny Fernandez is a fundamentals guy, but his mental game is suspect especially coming off the knee injury. If he gets it together like he did last night against Buffalo, then this team has a strong 1-2 tandem punch the likes of which has not been seen since Andy Moog-Rejean Lemelin of the late 80's/early 90's.

One guy who doesn't get as much credit for how well this team is playing is Shawn Thornton. He's a tough customer who does everything asked of him and even plays with a modicum of skill for a grinder/enforcer type. He's also hilarious- keeps the dressing room loose and is the team prankster.

The Bruins have long been mediocre, but this team has potential. When you figure that they can't even find a spot for Vladimir Sobotka in Boston, who is one of the more talented prospects in the system, not to mention another 3-4 guys on the farm who are starting to look like players themselves, this club has a lot of room for improvement and a solid foundation for years of sustained success.

HS, now that there's a cap, and as long as the Bs are spending close to or at the cap, I think the whold Jacobs angle is overplayed.

I'm not a fan of the Jacobs family, let's be clear, but I think it's not as clear cut as you're suggesting that the Bs can't win with Jacobs as the owner.

Chiarelli has really turned me around with how he's built this team.
yeah they spend to the cap every year and have stop trading anyone who looks like a talent so I think this will work out.

I think Sturm may be traded for a Defenseman that Harrisonhits37 is looking for

Thorton is a great team player but even Savard came in and tossed a few hooks during the recent glove dropping with Ott

What's interesting about Savard is the recent article in the Herald about how the Calgary press people were incredulous at what they saw from him during Boston's recent road game at the Saddledome. They truly couldn't believe their eyes- watching him give and take hits to make the play and actually backcheck. It's funny- but I couldn't stand Savard from the time I first saw him in the NHL and was pretty underwhelmed when the B's signed him at $5M per for four years back in '06. He started to win me over at that '06 training camp when he showed himself to be one of the more articulate and insightful guys in the dressing room of a team that was headed for a trainwreck of a season, but he played extremely well that year and was a leader on and off the ice. Now, he's turned into a complete player, albeit at the cost of some of his individual stats (and not having a bona fide scorer [Kessel will get there- still not as consistent as he could be] riding shotgun hurts him as well), but I have to give "Savvy" credit- he's become a pretty cost-effective signing and has proven to be well worth the dough the B's ponied up for him. That goal he scored the other night was a thing of beauty. Waited for Miller to dive, then roofed it over his sprawling form from about 30 feet away at a sharp angle at top speed. Does anyone know how f-ing difficult that is to do?

Oh, and I LOVE being in Caps country- Alexander Ovechkin is one smooth operator. The most complete player in the game. You don't get to see it on TV, but that boy FINISHES HIS CHECKS. He's struggling with the numbers, but he'll turn it on- when it rains it pours with that guy. They jumped on the Lightning last night and put the throttle to them early on. Nice to see Worcester's own Tom Poti put one in the basket with a goal-scorer's move. Always wanted to see him on the Bruins...would be a nice pickup if they could swing it.

Oh, and I LOVE being in Caps country- Alexander Ovechkin is one smooth operator. The most complete player in the game. You don't get to see it on TV, but that boy FINISHES HIS CHECKS.

I have Centerice and watch him all the time.

For some reason SF87 thinks he only checks Malkin. he needs to watch someone other than the Pen's play once in a while.

Ovechin hits anything that moves.

Hockey nuts: Do the Bs have enough "special" players to win a cup? I think they are a player or two short of that (and especially on D, as Harrison37 wrote) to be thought of as serious cup contenders, but would be curious if others differed or were more optimistic.

Hockey nuts: Do the Bs have enough "special" players to win a cup? I think they are a player or two short of that (and especially on D, as Harrison37 wrote) to be thought of as serious cup contenders, but would be curious if others differed or were more optimistic.

No but they are developing young talent, something they haven't been able to do.

I would settle for getting to the second round of the playoffs.

To night we have a big game, I’ve been looking forward to this for a few days now, and the last time I can remember looking forward to a regular season Bruins game was when Neely was playing.

Tim Thomas can be a "special" talent. When on top of his game, he is damn near unbeatable. He could be a tipping point in any playoff season because if he gets hot, the Bruins are more than capable of upsetting any superior team on paper- they have the offense to do it. Another d-man makes the Bruins *that* much more formidable because if Thomas is only average/mediocre, they don't have a chance in h-e-double hockey sticks of going anywhere.
Manny Overboard Fernandez isn't going to get it done.

Blake Wheeler is great what a soft touch on his penalty shootout goal last night and P.J. Axelsson game winner, wow.

These Bruins are very exciting to watch

Back