The Official Drew Bledsoe Hall of Fame Poll

Is Bledsoe Hall of Fame worrthy?

• Yes

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • No

Votes: 44 81.5%

• Total voters
If Drew plays for 3 more years after this (possible) and averages merely 1,800 yards and 16 TDs over those 3 years, he will be

One of only 4 QBs to throw for 50,000 yards

One of only 6 QBs to throw for 300 TDs

I'd say that would make him, statistically, one of the 5 most productive QBs in the history of the NFL.

Not to mention he was a HUGE part in turning around a team that was the laughing stock of the NFL.
And you know, Drew wasn't some bumbling loser when he was here. He had quite a reputation of leading last minute/second comebacks.

5th most productive QB of all time. If it were baseball, that would put him somewhere between Lou Gehrig and Ty Cobb, I reckon. What does New England have to say?

"Bum!"

Umfold on 10-26-2006 at 02:23 PM said:
If Drew plays for 3 more years after this (possible) and averages merely 1,800 yards and 16 TDs over those 3 years, he will be

I'd say that would make him, statistically, one of the 5 most productive QBs in the history of the NFL.

Not to mention he was a HUGE part in turning around a team that was the laughing stock of the NFL.
And you know, Drew wasn't some bumbling loser when he was here. He had quite a reputation of leading last minute/second comebacks.

5th most productive QB of all time. If it were baseball, that would put him somewhere between Lou Gehrig and Ty Cobb, I reckon. What does New England have to say?

"Bum!"
all right, all right, you sucked me back in umfold.

lemme put it to you this way: knowing how hit or miss Drew has been his entire career [read: wonderful TD pass followed by game-breaking interception], what if he were going to serve as your Mohel?

Umfold on 10-26-2006 at 02:23 PM said:

"Bum!"

Don't know what New England has to say, but I'll say this: Drew Bledsoe is the most overrated athlete in the history of organized sports. Notice, I said organized sports, which covers quite a broad spectrum of athletes. That's how horrible I think Drew Bledsoe is, has been, and always will be.

By the way, who gives a flying f**k about passing yards?????? Since when were passing yards a meaningful statistic???

One more thing, who the f**k is going to let Bledsoe play for another 3 years?

Let's put meaningless statistics aside for a second here.

How many "HOF" QB's have been benched 3 separate times, by 3 separate teams??? Bledsoe just got benched in favor of a guy named Tony Romo. Are you kidding me??? Hall of Fame??? ROFL ROFL ROFL

I tend to think he'll play somewhere. Despite his obvious shortcomings (ie horribly timed turnovers) he is still more skilled than at least a dozen guys starting right now.

Yea, he helped to turn this franchise around, though he gets a bit more credit than he deserves I think. There were a couple of other guys that had a hand in bringing respectability here.

Like I said before, I'm a big fan of Bledsoes and have rooted for him since he left. At the same time, I can recognize that he wasted alot of his talent and he could have been so much more than he is.

Felger was talking about this yesterday and I think he summed up my thoughts nicely. Bledsoe is a good guy off the field. Family guy. Loyal guy. But on the field, he never had to work hard to be the best. He just always was. It drives me crazy to watch the guy make the same exact mistakes he made when he was a rookie here.

It's not that he was lazy, he just didn't go that extra mile that the great ones usually go.

Passing yards, especially in Bledsoe's era, are way over-rated.

From a Patriot fan's perspective, I think it would be a joke if Bledsoe got in based on an accumulation of meaningless stats, when Gino Cappelletti can't get in because the HOF dismisses his AFL stats.

Drew Bledsoe would never admit his faults. It was always the offensive line, no receivers or no running game. He had the experience. And if it weren't for Moe Lewis, he could have destroyed the Patriots. When Brady took over the team held hands and started a new era. No way Bledsoe gets in the hall of fame.

patfanallan on 10-26-2006 at 04:10 PM said:
Drew Bledsoe would never admit his faults. It was always the offensive line, no receivers or no running game. He had the experience. And if it weren't for Moe Lewis, he could have destroyed the Patriots. When Brady took over the team held hands and started a new era. No way Bledsoe gets in the hall of fame.
Mo Lewis sped up the change, it was happening anyway

that said Brady was/is better than Drew

Losman isn't

Romo - unknown - let's see if 2 out of the three are better or worse before talking about being replaced

Spinal Tap on 10-26-2006 at 02:41 PM said:
Don't know what New England has to say, but I'll say this: Drew Bledsoe is the most overrated athlete in the history of organized sports. Notice, I said organized sports, which covers quite a broad spectrum of athletes. That's how horrible I think Drew Bledsoe is, has been, and always will be.
So, how would you feel about the Patriots retiring his number?
________
medical dispensaries

IMHO retireing a number is reserved for exceptional circumstances, an all time great at the position. Hawg Hannah is the only Patriot that comes to mind.

The Pats should however have a "Ring of Honor" like the Cowboys or the Bills. Honoring Bledsoe in this way is justified due to his contributions to the franchise

not sure who it is, maybe the Maple Leafs, who have honor numbers much like the "ring of honor" but they are usable numbers that the player now can wear with a patch on the uniform honoring the player before him - unfortunately the NFL would not allow the patch Idea unless everyone on the team had them but the idea is great.

My Vote:

NO WAY for Drew. Drew has numbers, but no superstar and can't even say he's won anything by himself.

To Be Fair To Drew,
Every Time he Got Benched, He Didnt Sulk, In Fact he Helped The Guy who took his Place. To Me, That Shows Class. A Very Guinuine Person id say, Fair play to him.

Personally, I wish him the best of luck

Poor guy. He'll always have a place in our hearts, I'm sure, but if getting bumped repeatedly for the next hot new QB is the story of your career, I don't think you can really make a case for the hall.

<<
And just because someone ****ed up and put Namath, Bradshaw, Fouts, and Tarkenton in there doesn't mean they should keep putting in undeserving players.
>>

Yes but didn't all 4 of those QBs remain starters their whole career ? Drew's repeated benching for rookies following sustained poor performance is a big difference between him and them.

As to throwing yards I don't consider that a good qualifier for the HOF. Especially as Pats fans, how many times have we ridiculed Manning as a stat whore who didn't win ?

The one big intangible that *might* qualify Drew for the HOF is turning around the NE franchise. I remember the year before he was drafted the team BEGGING people to come buy discounted preseason tix for something like $5 because at $10 they had only sold something like 5-10k tix for one of the games. Once Bledsoe was drafted that all changed and changed quickly. He did lead us to the SB against the Packers, and I don't place that loss on him. In fact he helped us battle back to within one score and then Howard I think it was ran back the kickoff for a TD that broke the spirit of the Pats players.

I don't think that's enough to overcome his negatives and repeated benchings compared to other HOF QBs. Furthermore how can you say it was a screwup to let Bradshaw in with is 4 rings ? There's no comparison between him and Drew.

Drew Bledsoe is one of the few Patriots I have liked (others include Hank Poteat, Josh Miller, and Charles Johnson). Sure I hated him in 96 (damn fog) and 01 hurt (although the fact that his contributions in that game were pretty much ignored helped dispell that anger, and I kind of felt sorry for him). But, from a nonbiased standpoint, he was a good QB. I could watch highlights of him throwing bombs all day.

And who said Bradshaw shouldn't be in the HoF?? I thought RINGZZZ were the #1 requirement? If Bradshaw can't get in with 4, how can Brady with 3?

Great arm + big heart + questionable decision making + little mobility + poor pocket presence = no HOF.

Until BD's post, I didn't realize that this thread had been bumped from last fall. Things have been rather quiet without Spinal around...

I'm really torn on it, and voted yes out of respect for the guy, but in all reality, probably not.

Back