The Official Moss poll

The Moss poll

• No distraction at all, and a key component of the team.

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • Slight distraction, but will still contribute hugely.

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • Fairly large distraction, and will contribute but not as much as we'd hoped.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Huge distraction, and will be gone by October.

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
It'll be a distraction even if Moss is a perfect angel. Look at Dillon. He never did anything bad here, but the media picked and picked and picked at him to the point that just his presence in the locker room with media members must have created at least a slight distraction.

Moss will have the same effect with the media even if he's an upstanding citizen.

Blame that on the shark-like hacks that prowl the locker room.

My vote is for "slight distraction", just because he can't help himself. But I think it'll be far less than anticipated, and he'll help greatly.

Right now he's saying all the right things. "I didn't do this for the money". "I'm the second-best WR to come out of Marshall next to Troy Brown." "This is a great opportunity." Et cetera. And I think he means it, for the most part. He's old enough to realize his time is running short, and his abilities are starting to decline, and he WANTS to win. Much like Corey Dillon, I think we'll find that winning cures all ills.

Also, don't underestimate the Doug Gabriel factor. Supposedly, Moss and Gabriel were good friends. The Pats got Gabriel. He supposedly was late for meetings, wasn't giving 100%, couldn't grasp the plays, whatever. The Pats cut him loose. Now, some people might think it's a BAD thing that he and Moss are buddies, because they think Moss will come in with the same attitude; on the contrary, I think it's a GREAT thing, because I'm sure Moss now knows, via Gabriel, that the Pats will not #&*% around. Moss knows that if he screws up he's gone, and his career and reputation go down the tubes once and for all.

The best thing Moss could've done was restructure that contract. It shows good faith on his part, that he's coming here to win. If he came in with a huge contract, I think the fans would be very hard on him; but coming in with such a small contract, I think the fans will be very appreciative of that and will cheer and support Moss to a large degree and that it will surprise a lot of people.

Brian Cox
Corey Dillon
Rodney Harrison

Ho-hum growing tired of this act am I

The Boston Sports media is pretty tough. They will be looking for anything to prove this was a bad move by BB. Moss will know that the only way to shut them up is by his play on the field.

But as we all know, the media here is usually wrong.

I voted for slight distraction. It was a tough call, for me, between slight and fairly large distraction, though. The scenario that concerns me about Moss is if the Patriots somehow get off to a slow start next season. I'm not saying that's even likely but if they have a bad game or two that's when I'd expect to see Moss' ugliness come to the surface again.

Media wise, Moss is going to be a slight distraction because they are going to always want to talk with him.

But when he's not going to be a serious distraction because the players in the Pats locker room will not let it happen. Maybe in another teams locker room but not in the Pats.

I've been against Moss from the first rumor, but now that it's happened I'll have to drink about 3 gallons of koolaid and see what happens.

Perhaps a miracle will happen and Moss will behave well, there is certainly no other team with as good a chance of that happening. I don't consider him willing to take the pay cut very significant because he already has enough $$ to retire today and neither he nor anyone in his family will every have to work again if they don't want to.

The moment we'll really know how things will go is after the 2nd or 3rd game in a row where BB uses Moss almost solely as a decoy and he gets almost no catches in those games. Its bound to happen that there will be game plans that use him in that role.

The first gallon of koolaid is starting to kick in so I will trust in Bill and withhold my vote for now. He will certainly be some sort of distraction just based on the fact the press will hound him in hopes they can make him go off.

We really can't close this poll until we get Borges reaction; what will he copy and paste that someone else said do you think?

I think he's a great add to your team...the pats just went from being awesome...to scary aswesome!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb:

MattsPats on 04-30-2007 at 01:21 PM said:
We really can't close this poll until we get Borges reaction; what will he copy and paste that someone else said do you think?

On the WEEI Whiner Line, someone ruminated on what Borges is going through, not being able to write about this, and Fred Smerlas (who isn't as stupid as people think) envisioned Borges like the guy in "A Beautiful Mind", trapped in a small room covering the walls with scribbled articles. (I think DeOssie added, "...and with drawing of Belichick with arrows through them.")

I voted slight distraction but I think that Brady, Rodney and Seymour can keep him under wraps.

I'm taking a boatload of crap from my friends (Giants, Steelers and Redskins fans) about this. Now I am the first to give grief out to anyone so I can't complain about it. I just can't wait to push it all back in their faces next February.

That is so hard to predict. I want to say no distraction and he will rock and that is what I want to believe. So that is what I will go with.

I hope all the negative talk and Randy-bashing continues til game day. The best way to make sure he isn't a disruption is for him to see every media tart in the business saying he's a cancer. That way he'll be even more desperate to prove them wrong. It will become BB and RM vs the world.

From http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Moss, Part III
I know you’ve admitted to using marijuana in the past. Are you in the drug program right now?
“I’m really not going to get into the past.”

How about right now?
“I think that a lot of things that you guys are going to try to come up with, and dig into, is very confidential between player and organization, and also the NFL, so I’m not really going to get into that.”

Do you think the Patriots are a favorite to win the Super Bowl?
“Well, when the opportunity came around for me to get traded to New England, and I talked to Coach Belichick, once I started hearing the buzz in the air and on the TV, it was just like me getting a chance to really get on that Super Bowl stage and really show the world who I am and what I’m able to do. What I’ve done in my nine-year career is just a glimpse of what I can do. So me being able to get the right things in place for me to be able to succeed on the field is right here in New England.”

I don't know but that last paragraph sounded like Moss still hasen't figuired out their is no "I" in team. It sounds more like the Randy Moss show to me. I'm glad we have him but I sure hope that Belichick keeps him on a short leash and at the first sign of problems show him the curb.

Eh. Sounds more to me like he's just lamenting the fact that he's been on a bad team and is realizing his chances at a Super Bowl are getting short. I mean, he IS saying that New England is the best place to get to the Super Bowl, so he's not THAT stupid. :D

Personally, I want him motivated to get to the Super Bowl and win. I'm sure he wants a ring. I'm sure he wants to be on the big stage and catch 10 balls for 150 yards and be the Super Bowl MVP. I'm sure he wants to cement his place in Canton. Where those all rank in his mind isn't known, but as long as he's motivated SOMEHOW, I'm happy. I think he no longer cares about the $10M salary, and it sounds like he cares a little less than he used to about the 1500-yard seasons. So that's good.

Back