The Official Super Bowl LI Game Thread - Patriots v Falcons

That was a nice scramble by Brady by the way where he picked up the 15 yards and 1st down which was critical in that 3rd quarter drive. No hesitation he just went for it and he even looked relatively quick-ish (for him).

It's a minor point now, but I was pretty upset at the call on Shea McLellin for "illegal formation" -- I believe -- on his blocked kick where he leaped over Center.

To me it appeared completely legal. The snap was away and I didn't see him launch himself off a teammate or opponent.

Did anybody hear a full explanation for what happened on that one? It didn't seem like the announcers really knew what was going on.

Pereira said that he didn't think it was illegal formation, as McClellin jumped the gap, not over the center. BB argued with the ref that Shane was over the guard.

It's a minor point now, but I was pretty upset at the call on Shea McLellin for "illegal formation" -- I believe -- on his blocked kick where he leaped over Center.

To me it appeared completely legal. The snap was away and I didn't see him launch himself off a teammate or opponent.

Did anybody hear a full explanation for what happened on that one? It didn't seem like the announcers really knew what was going on.

I think the point was that the Defense can't line up over the Center at the time of the snap on FGs/XPs. That's what they called the penalty for. I don't think McClellin was lined up over the Center though.

Parker is just an absolute mental patient. he fails to mention that on the other side of the 'what if coin' , Brady is two circus catches away from being 7-0 in the Superbowl.

Hating Brady has become his thing. He has a certain notoriety which gets him asked on dumb shows like 'the Herd' because they know they will get buzzworthy anti Brady quotes from this clown that will generally turn into a shouting match, the greatest thing that drives their idiot filled ratings.

Rob Parker is a huge idiot. He needs to get his information correct and learn how to watch football. He likes to play the "cheaterz" card. You're 100% correct about the "other side of the coin" part. He only sees things 1-way. And I just saw the article Mikiemo posted, doesn't surprise me he's been fired from jobs in the past and got suspended by ESPN for "off base" comments. The guy is a moron

When I see him on "Undisputed" or "The Herd" I immediately turn the channel.

I think living behind enemy lines you know who he is, this may remind you.

ESPN suspends commentator over RGIII comments

Michael Hiestand, USA TODAY Sports Published 11:50 a.m. ET Dec. 14, 2012 | Updated 3:21 p.m. ET Dec. 14, 2012

ESPN commentator Rob Parker has been suspended indefinitely as a result of disparaging racial comments he made about Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III on Thursday.

"Following yesterday's comments Rob Parker has been suspended until further notice. We are conducting a full review," ESPN spokesman Mike Soltys said.

Parker said of Griffin on ESPN2's First Take: "Is he a brother, or is he a cornball brother? ... He's not real. OK, he's black, he kind of does the thing, but he's not really down with the cause. He's not one of us. He's kind of black, but he's not really, like, the guy you want to hang out with because he's off to something else."

Robert Griffin II, Griffin's father, told USA TODAY Sports on Thursday, "I wouldn't say it's racism. I would just say some people put things out there about people so they can stir things up."

Parker, 48, has worked as a reporter and columnist for newspapers such as Newsday, the Detroit News and the Cincinnati Enquirer. According to his web site, he started at ESPN in 2003.

Parker gained notoriety in 2008 when, while he was a Detroit News columnist, he asked then-Lions coach Rod Marinelli about his daughter being married to the team's defensive coordinator. Parker asked Marinelli, whose team eventually finished the season winless, "Do you wish your daughter would have married a better defensive coordinator?"

Parker later resigned from the paper and apologized to Marinelli, who said he didn't accept the apology.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...4/robert-griffin-iii-espn-rob-parker/1769431/

okay...NOW I remember this assclown. They wanted to kill him in the District after those RGIII comments.

That's the moron that made those comments about TB not being the GOAT, he has no business being in the sports reporting world. He should be working for MSNBC but that's a topic for another forum.

ROFL

I love how it only took BB to tell him it was over.

Can't wait for the full mic'ed up highlights like two years ago. Those were legendary.

I felt like that after the kick in SB XXXVI...WAIT! There's time left!

Fantastic read. You Americans really do have some great Sports journalists.

I laughed at Edelman's dad.
Keyshawn wouldn't last a minute being coached by Frank, even though he had Parcells.

I say it all the time, Jules might be the only Patriot ever who has had a tougher coach than BB.

Also I had and have 0 desire to read through most of this game thread, so I don't know if it was mentioned. But it sure looks like Atl Reid-ed their 2nd half timeouts. Now THAT may have been something Quinn should have learned from SB 49 when Pete did that on the 50 on their last drive with all 3 left.

That was a nice scramble by Brady by the way where he picked up the 15 yards and 1st down which was critical in that 3rd quarter drive. No hesitation he just went for it and he even looked relatively quick-ish (for him).

That was a huge play. It was 3rd and 8. Overlooked in the number of insane plays that took place that half. He gets stopped or sacked there and the game changes again. They didn't have time to punt and get it back or let Ryan at the ball again.

I'll plead "idiot" here and will welcome being corrected but I think his foot touched the center on the jump and thought that might be illegal.

The two point conversion direct snap. Looks like the same play was used in XXXVIII with Faulk:

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="http://streamable.com/e/bbprd" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen scrolling="no" style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe><script async defer src="//v.streamablemedia.com/ads.js"></script></div>

The two point conversion direct snap. Looks like the same play was used in XXXVIII with Faulk:

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="http://streamable.com/e/bbprd" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen scrolling="no" style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe><script async defer src="//v.streamablemedia.com/ads.js"></script></div>

Is the same play. They've run it a handful of times over the years, and I want to even say Parcells ran it with Meggett once.

It's affectionately known in our household as 'The Faulk Play'.

I'll plead "idiot" here and will welcome being corrected but I think his foot touched the center on the jump and thought that might be illegal.

I believe if he touched another player it would have been an unsportsmanlike and 15 yards. My understanding was that he wasn't lined up right. He was to close to the snapper on the line of scrimmage so it was an illegal formation 5 yards. I didn't like the call either I thought he was lined up in the gap. I could be wrong too though.

~Dee~

Funny thing about these last two Superbowls is the way the reverse karma has happened in both games. We needed a goal line stand for the first loss and Malcolm Butler did it and the ball was tipped in the end zone and Gronk had a chance e to catch it and well Edelman redeemed that. We have reversed our karma in both wins

I believe if he touched another player it would have been an unsportsmanlike and 15 yards. My understanding was that he wasn't lined up right. He was to close to the snapper on the line of scrimmage so it was an illegal formation 5 yards. I didn't like the call either I thought he was lined up in the gap. I could be wrong too though.

~Dee~

When I first saw the flag, that's what I though they were calling. It looked like the center stood up to try to make contact.

I remember what BB said when that got called... "that's bull shit!"

Back