The Official WestWorld Thread

Another good episode.

Much of the dialog about "reality" was reminiscent of the "is this a dream or am I awake" question in Inception.

Jonathon is not credited as being involved in that movie, so perhaps he's doing his interpretation of his brother's idea.

Loved the use of House of the Rising Sun on the player piano.

Getting back to the player piano. I've got to go through the opening credits in slow mo next time. Normally I only watch the opening credits once for these types of programs and zip through them for the rest of the series.

However, the player piano appears in the credits with the manufacturing of a host directly behind it.

If it is simply a metaphor, then presumably it is comparing the playing of the piano from the sheet of paper and the Hosts behavior arising from their programming.

Of course, that would naturally lead to a comparison to the human condition, i.e., what "programs" us and how does that determine our behavior?

I may be reading too much into this, but Maeve's attack on Sylvester and Clementine (the lovely Rebecca from Banshee), were very similar in the nature of the wound.

If one had cut the carotid artery one would expect far more blood flow. Also cauterizing the skin wouldn't seal the artery and Sylvester would have bled out internally.

So was this just a case of simplifying the special effects, or it showing that Hosts are different than humans and that Sylvester is a Host?

Another good episode.

Much of the dialog about "reality" was reminiscent of the "is this a dream or am I awake" question in Inception.

Jonathon is not credited as being involved in that movie, so perhaps he's doing his interpretation of his brother's idea.

Loved the use of House of the Rising Sun on the player piano.

Getting back to the player piano. I've got to go through the opening credits in slow mo next time. Normally I only watch the opening credits once for these types of programs and zip through them for the rest of the series.

However, the player piano appears in the credits with the manufacturing of a host directly behind it.

If it is simply a metaphor, then presumably it is comparing the playing of the piano from the sheet of paper and the Hosts behavior arising from their programming.

Of course, that would naturally lead to a comparison to the human condition, i.e., what "programs" us and how does that determine our behavior?

I may be reading too much into this, but Maeve's attack on Sylvester and Clementine (the lovely Rebecca from Banshee), were very similar in the nature of the wound.

If one had cut the carotid artery one would expect far more blood flow. Also cauterizing the skin wouldn't seal the artery and Sylvester would have bled out internally.

So was this just a case of simplifying the special effects, or it showing that Hosts are different than humans and that Sylvester is a Host?

I seriously doubt that Sylvester could be a host. His personality is pretty quirky, but on this show I suppose anything is possible.

I think you may be assuming that the procedure done on him was cauterization and, therefore, superficial, but it probably was simplified to move the scene along.

I agree that the contemporary-ish music (as well as the analogy of the player piano) is a nice touch and they've done several selections that have a nice fit to them, such as Black Hole Sun and Paint it Black. I particularly liked Johnny Cash's "Ain't No Grave" of which the line continues "can hold my body down" -- a nod and wink to the hosts being remade continually.

As dark as this thing is, it's not without a certain sense of humor.

I'm hoping something good can happen to Dolores, but the scene where she started remembering/hallucinating doesn't bode well for her chances. It's as if her "vision" of that town on the river might have been some sort of residual memory of her initial host boot camp-- not to mention her own suicide thrown in, but your point about the "dream or reality" question was a good one and the line between them is particularly blurry for both humans and hosts alike on this show. It can be confusing, but I prefer to see it as open to interpretation.

Speaking of Dolores, wasn't the deactivated host they were planning on turning into the new narrative's Bad Guy (forget his name) her first Pappy?

Won't SHE be surprised?

I seriously doubt that Sylvester could be a host. His personality is pretty quirky, but on this show I suppose anything is possible.

I think you may be assuming that the procedure done on him was cauterization and, therefore, superficial, but it probably was simplified to move the scene along.

As I said, maybe I'm reading more into that than was warranted.

I agree that the contemporary-ish music (as well as the analogy of the player piano) is a nice touch and they've done several selections that have a nice fit to them, such as Black Hole Sun and Paint it Black. I particularly liked Johnny Cash's "Ain't No Grave" of which the line continues "can hold my body down" -- a nod and wink to the hosts being remade continually.

As dark as this thing is, it's not without a certain sense of humor.

I'm hoping something good can happen to Dolores, but the scene where she started remembering/hallucinating doesn't bode well for her chances. It's as if her "vision" of that town on the river might have been some sort of residual memory of her initial host boot camp-- not to mention her own suicide thrown in, but your point about the "dream or reality" question was a good one and the line between them is particularly blurry for both humans and hosts alike on this show. It can be confusing, but I prefer to see it as open to interpretation.

Speaking of Dolores, wasn't the deactivated host they were planning on turning into the new narrative's Bad Guy (forget his name) her first Pappy?

Won't SHE be surprised?

I thought he was going to be used as a portable hard drive for the "data" and the "writer" was just supposed to make enough of a story to let him walk through the park to where ever they board will pick him up.

But yes, they probably didn't choose well.

Regarding the Will being the MiB, there's a few detaisl that I'd need to review to see if the alternate timeline idea works.

For one, I recall Dolores "remembered" the MiB taking her to the barn when she shot the other host who had her there. This was just before she met up with William.

I'm not sure if the way the story progressed, that those could be discontinuous events. Could be, but I simply don't remember the details.

Of more of a concern is her private meetings with Ford "at night".

Looking at Ford's age, it isn't practical for them to have occurred in the past if William is the MiB. So if they are at the same time as the MiB, what does that say about what she's "remembering" with William?

Could she have had that much evolution of her memory and persona in the past and not retain any of it for all those years?

Does that mean Ford "deleted" those memories and these conversations are him checking to see if any of it has come back?

Unless of course, Ford's apparent age is the whole point. He doesn't age like regular people.

Currently watching a backlog of Justified, but this one is next on my list. Watched the first episode and it was pretty intriguing. Looking forward to it.

I've been watching it over and over again - haven't been into a show like this in a long time. I saw some speculation about Dolores == Wyatt on Reddit. Could be. I agree about Ford. I think he is probably a robot, but at some point, who cares? I'm enjoying watching Maeve try to organize an army to break out of the world.

I've been watching it over and over again - haven't been into a show like this in a long time. I saw some speculation about Dolores == Wyatt on Reddit. Could be. I agree about Ford. I think he is probably a robot, but at some point, who cares? I'm enjoying watching Maeve try to organize an army to break out of the world.

You were smart to watch it a few times, because I officially bonked out during the most recent one.

I thought I was on top of things, but I have to admit that I don't really know what the hell is going on anymore.

I like a show with depth, but maybe I'm not smart enough to follow this thing watching it once. I could be Arnold for all I know and Dolores could be a cross-dressing MiB.

Maybe she'll escape Westworld with Will and they'll start a Halfway House to help decommisioned hosts get jobs at the Registry of Motor Vehicles.

Anyhow, season 2 of Humans is coming back on AMC soon, so maybe I can follow that one.

I've been watching episodes in a continuous loop pretty much whenever I'm home (and my wife is asleep). I'll wake up and restart the same episode again , typically 4 times in the night (it seems to be helping me sleep).

One detail I noticed that I probably need to re-analyze: somewhere in about the third or fourth episode Ford is interviewing Delores - after that scene the screen fades to black and she says "he doesn't know" - I need to watch that again to get the full quote. I think she is probably reporting that Ford doesn't know that she killed Arnold. What all that means I have no idea.

I think everybody is a robot except maybe Will/MiB and Logan.

I remember that, I took it as he didn't know about her talks with Bernard.

Now I wonder if those talks are real or imagined. If a hosts memories are "perfect" would it be reasonable to infer that their imaginations would also be "perfect" and Dolores' discussions with Bernard were really her imagining discussions with Arnold.

It's the bicameral mind theory.

I remember that, I took it as he didn't know about her talks with Bernard.

Now I wonder if those talks are real or imagined. If a hosts memories are "perfect" would it be reasonable to infer that their imaginations would also be "perfect" and Dolores' discussions with Bernard were really her imagining discussions with Arnold.

It's the bicameral mind theory.

I believe the conventional wisdom currently is that the scenes we have watched with Dolores and Bernard were actually her interactions with Arnold. So not her imagination but her memories of Arnold.

Late to the party. It looks interesting...

Marilyn Manson's ex is the star of the show...

The transhumanism theme is getting more and more in our faces.

This was my favorite comment on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/westworld/..._1x10_the_bicameral_mind_postepisode/dasuwdi/

It will be interesting to find out who from the cast will be in season 2. There's a lot of online discussion about things like whether Ford at the party was himself or a clone, and I think we'll know as soon as we find out if Anthony Hopkins is going to be in season 2. My assumption is that he won't.

Late to the party. It looks interesting...

Marilyn Manson's ex is the star of the show...

The transhumanism theme is getting more and more in our faces.

There is a lot going on behind the scene's on this series. A lot of stuff that hardly anyone will get (me included...).

Why do they use milk so much? There is a reason for that. :milk:

Last night was shades of Game of Thrones but revved up 1000x. Hold on tight everyone, we are in for a wild ride.

Back