The Saints Took Our Lunch Money

As I spend most of my time on ChiefsPlanet, it's refreshing to see a downtrodden fanbase, usually used to failure and stupidity, overjoicing at what they see as a very solid and impressive draft. They're all excited about their front office making smart picks, they're looking forward to the new blood coming in, they're looking forward to continuing the winning ways that Pioli and Haley started last season. It's boundless optimism in the face of years of depression and drugdery.

And then I come here after a very solid draft in which they filled positions of need, after going 14-2, after winning three Super Bowls recently, after having an excellent draft last year, on a team with the BHCE and BQE... and find bitching because they didn't take ****ing Romeus (who almost slipped to Mr. Irrelevant) and delivering ultimatums to the team about how THEY will feel about this year's draft depending upon how OTHER TEAMS' players play.

Here you go. This one's for you. Wear it with pride.

resize

I have to tell you JD, I am just not impressed with Scott Pioli's drafting since he went to KC. And I feel that the Pats' drafting has improved markedly since 2009.

Consider the 5 last drafts we had under Belioli (2004-2008). The Pats had 41 players drafted in those 5 drafts, or just over 8 players/year. Over those 5 drafts, the Pats had exactly 4 "home run" picks:

2004 - Vince Wilfork (21)
2005 - Logan Mankins (32)
2005 - Matt Cassel (230)
2006 - Stephen Goskowski (118)
2008 - Jerod Mayo (10)

3 out of those 5 were 1st round picks. In contrast, 24 if those 41 picks - almost 60% - appear to have been total busts for the Pats: Marquise Hill (2004, 63), Gus Scott (2004, 95), Dexter Reid (2004, 113), Cedric Cobbs (2004, 128), PK Sam (2004, 164), Christian Morton (2004, 233), Ryan Claridge (2005, 170), Andy Stokes (2005, 255), Chad Jackson (2006, 36), Garrett Mills (2006, 104), Jeremy Mincey (2006, 191), Dan Stevenson (2006, 205), Kareem Brown (2007, 127), Clint Oldenburg (2007, 171), Justin Rogers (2007, 180), Mike Richardson (2007, 202), Justice Hairston (2007, 208), Corey Hilliard (2007, 209), Oscar Lua (2007, 211), Mike Elgin (2007, 247), Terrence Wheatley (2008, 62), Shawn Crable (2008, 78), Kevin O'Connell (2008, 94) and Bo Ruud (2008, 197). By "total bust" I mean that the player either never produced for the Pats at all or vastly underproduced for the level at which they were selected. Lots of other players were relative disappointments, including 1st round picks Lawrence Maroney (2006, 21) and Ben Watson (2004, 32).

In contrast, in the 3 drafts since Pioli left the Pats have taken 33 players. It's too early to judge 2011, but the Pats appear to have had "home run" picks with Patrick Chung (2009, 34), Sebastian Vollmer (2009, 58), Devin McCourty (2010, 27), Rob Gronkowski (2010, 42) and Aaron Hernandez (2010, 113) plus extremely productive picks (relative to where they were selected) from Myron Pryor (2009, 207), Julian Edelman (2009, 232), Jermaine Cunningham (2010, 53), Brandon Spikes (2010, 62), Zoltan Mesko (2010, 150) and Brandon Deaderick (2010, 247). Plus a lot of players who are still developing and who could contribute significantly down the road - Brandon Tate, Taylor Price, Kade Weston, Rich Ohrnberger, Ron Brace, Darius Butler, etc. And I'm guessing that there will be at least 3 or 4 major "hits" out of 2011 - Nate Solder, Marcus Cannon, Ryan Mallett, Ras-I Dowling and at least one of the RBs are my guesses.

I haven't been terribly impressed with Pioli's drafts in KC so far. A huge reach for Tyson Jackson at #3 to start. I don't know the KC roster very well, but I don't see much productivity out of the 2009 draft. 2010 was better - it had to be, 2010 was loaded - but I thought Pioli reached for Dexter McCluster at 36 and Javier Arenas at 50. I'll defer to you on those, since I don't know the KC team that well. And finally, I thought his 2011 draft was very suspect - especially Jonathan Baldwin at 26, Justin Houston at 70 and Allen Bailey at 86. Not impressed at all.

Curious as to your thoughts, since you know both teams.

I need 200ccs of Kool Aid STAT!

No no, I get it, but this notion that these players are all of the sudden not for the pats when 4 days ago they were perfect for them according to a lot of people on here, seems a bit odd. I love the way the patriots do things as much as anyone, but it is also possible that not everything they do is written in gold either. Other teams have smart decision makers too.

No no, I get it, but this notion that these players are all of the sudden not for the pats when 4 days ago they were perfect for them according to a lot of people on here, seems a bit odd. I love the way the patriots do things as much as anyone, but it is also possible that not everything they do is written in gold either. Other teams have smart decision makers too.
No midgar, I'm sorry. Unless you love every decision made by the team with your heart and soul, you aren't a real fan.

JD/Tim - the thread is titled 'The Saints Took Our Lunch Money', i'm not trying to 'weasel' out of anything. Three players draft 'experts' up and down the country had down as good fits for the Pats just a few days ago - as pointed out by Midgar - ended up on the Saints. We could, not should, have drafted all three in this draft. Now that's happened - I just think it's interesting to see how these guys get on.

Come on, it's not like BB passing on Clay Matthews isn't discussed every 5 minutes anyway - I suspect the same will happen if these players do something next year.

Peace

GFW.

I'd love it if NE picked the guys the saints did. But that's because I don't know shit about the draft and assume the Patriots do.

Seriously, first Cameron Jordan, then Mark Ingram and then they had the temerity to take Greg Romeus as well. Their draft is scary good - picked up Martez Wilson and Johnny Patrick in the 3rd too.

If Jordan, Ingram and Romeus all have good seasons next year - then this won't reflect very well on BB & co in my opinion. If they all flunk, then great - but i'll be judging how successful our draft is not just by the peformance of our new inductees, but also on the players performance down in New Orleans who could have been in New England next year.

Romeus, is the only one where I would say it's that simple (like you have laid out).

Cam Jordan (IMO) wouldn't be good at playing a 2 gap DE (the Pats main system), and I also don't think he'd be a good fit for OLB, therefore I don't think we was worth an early pick by the Pats.

Ingram might be as good as some people think, but if Vereen and the first round pick next year are both just about as good, then it's still a win for Belichick.

Romeus (IMO) maybe could have been converted to OLB, and if that is true, then he might have been a good fit, (although maybe BB disagrees).

These things are complicated to evaluate, so we really need to look more at how the guys we took, turn out. If they don't work out, then the picks were bad, regardless of what Jordan, Ingram, or Romeus do.

Seriously, first Cameron Jordan, then Mark Ingram and then they had the temerity to take Greg Romeus as well. Their draft is scary good - picked up Martez Wilson and Johnny Patrick in the 3rd too.

If Jordan, Ingram and Romeus all have good seasons next year - then this won't reflect very well on BB & co in my opinion. If they all flunk, then great - but i'll be judging how successful our draft is not just by the peformance of our new inductees, but also on the players performance down in New Orleans who could have been in New England next year.

Well, a lot of people here were erect over Connor Barwin around the draft a few years ago and he hasn't exactly turned into Brian Urlacher, so let's trust BB's judgment here.

The Saints didn't take our lunch money. I learned this the hard way in the service when I was 18. Someone was always willing to lend you 20 bucks as long as you paid them back 40 on payday. You got to go out. But, tended to be broke the rest of the time. BB is like a loan shark. Oh, I'll give you 20 New Orleans. But, I'll see you on payday. FYI. I did learn my lesson after 2-3 months and learned the art of saving.

Nice. And BB never drafts the "sexy for a one night stand" kind of player. Our fan base should be used to that by now. He tries for the realistic," long term,let's keep the family together and humming as a unit" type players.

Well, a lot of people here were erect over Connor Barwin around the draft a few years ago and he hasn't exactly turned into Brian Urlacher, so let's trust BB's judgment here.

Yeah we missed on some, but remember Maroney was drafted in the first round by the pats too.:thumb:

Nice. And BB never drafts the "sexy for a one night stand" kind of player. Our fan base should be used to that by now. He tries for the realistic," long term,let's keep the family together and humming as a unit" type players.

The bad thing is, the defense that won us superbowls were mainly made up of players BB did not draft.

The bad thing is, the defense that won us superbowls were mainly made up of players BB did not draft.

How many were via free agents and trades that BB brought in?

Far as I can tell, only Law, McGinnest, Bruschi and TJ were defensive contributors to all 3 SBs and weren't brought in by BB.

If you extend it to just 2001 add in Tebucky Jones and Milloy.

Something tells me Belichick brought in a few contributors. :rolleyes:

Seymour
Warren
Wilfork
Harrison
Vrabel
Asante
Colvin
O-T-I-S
Wilson
Phifer

I can see the debate about Ingram and Romeus, but I'm not sure why some think Cameron Jordan wouldn't have been a good fit in NE. It's impossible to tell for sure this early but, he looks like just as good a fit for a 3-4 as a 4-3. From everything I see, he plays big, gets off blocks, and is excellent against the run and pass. Did it against good competition too. I think he could hold the point of attack in a 3-4.

I know, I was just saying something controversial...I have no problem with what BB has brought in here.

Far as I can tell, only Law, McGinnest, Bruschi and TJ were defensive contributors to all 3 SBs and weren't brought in by BB.

If you extend it to just 2001 add in Tebucky Jones and Milloy.

Something tells me Belichick brought in a few contributors. :rolleyes:

Seymour
Warren
Wilfork
Harrison
Vrabel
Asante
Colvin
O-T-I-S
Wilson
Phifer

Bryan Cox says :wave: