The Wells Report

I'm sure other fans would have a hard time believing me, but I can honestly say that I'd consider this a 100% non-issue regardless of the QB involved. Ball PSI is one of the most laughable 'controversies' in NFL history. And with the evidence available, I'd most definitely NOT be calling for Peyton or Big Ben or Luck or [insert random shit tier QB] to be suspended.

Then again, Pats hatred is bred in irrationality. It's still sickening though.

I'm sure other fans would have a hard time believing me, but I can honestly say that I'd consider this a 100% non-issue regardless of the QB involved. Ball PSI is one of the most laughable 'controversies' in NFL history. And with the evidence available, I'd most definitely NOT be calling for Peyton or Big Ben or Luck or [insert random shit tier QB] to be suspended.

I could see if this happened to the Jaguars with Blaine Gabbert at the helm in the AFC Divisional playoff game. Story takes a backseat to everything else going on in the world. Gets resolved within 2 weeks. $25,000 fine if any. And the conversation on PatriotsPlanet would probably be "Can you imagine the hysteria if the Patriots did this?"

I really couldn't care less about the whole act, to be honest. People keep wanting to throw words in my mouth about "Dude, if that were Manning you'd be blablabla" but the only thing I'd care about would be people going for Manning's head the way they would to Brady in this case. I don't think 1 PSI makes a dick of difference in the outcome of games but un(depending on whom you ask)fortunately, we have torn through too many asses in the league AND media for the past 15 years and nobody's blood is wanted more than ours. Ravens, Steelers, Jets, Colts, Broncos, Rams, Eagles, Panthers, even Chargers fans all want us to die in a blaze of glory. Well we will die in a blaze of glory, but it aint now. Gonna have to wait a little longer

There's really no proof the balls were even tampered with. The balls were under the PSI level at the refs hands to start. I'm not blaming the refs because quite frankly they just did what they always do measure the balls with the gauge the gauge read 12.50 they marked and passed them.

~Dee~

It's ludicrous.

The investigation took as gospel Anderson's recollection that the pre-game psi was 12.5 psi, but rejected his recollection that he used the logo gauge "with the crooked needle".

From Florio at PFT

But that observation hinges on the question of which gauge was used to set the PSI prior to kickoff. If the gauge that generates the higher numbers was used, the measurements of the Patriots footballs taken by that gauge are mostly consistent with the 11.52-11.32 PSI range at halftime: (1) 11.8; (2) 11.2; (3) 11.5; (4) 11.0; (5) 11.45; (6) 11.95; (7) 12.3; (8) 11.55; (9) 11.35; (10) 10.9; and (11) 11.35.

Based on those readings, three of the footballs were above the predicted range, five were in the predicted range, and three were below the predicted range.

How did they determine that Anderson's recollection was incorrect?

From page 116 of the report.

In addition, Exponent determined that when the Logo and Non-Logo Gauges measure an identical pressure, different readings are produced. According to Exponent, the Logo Gauge produced readings that were generally in the range of 0.3-0.4 psi higher than the Non- Logo Gauge. However, for a given set of measurements, the differential between the gauges generally remained consistent when compared to a calibrated gauge. In other words, in the short term, both the Logo Gauge and Non-Logo Gauge read consistently, though differently from each other.

Exponent‟s experimental results were aligned with the measurements recorded at halftime, which indicated a consistent gauge-to-gauge differential of 0.3-0.45 psi. Exponent relied upon this information, as well as the fact that during the testing the Non-Logo Gauge never produced a reading higher than the Logo Gauge, to conclude that Walt Anderson most likely used the Non-Logo Gauge to inspect the game balls prior to the game, that Clete Blakeman most likely used the Non-Logo Gauge and Dyrol Prioleau most likely used the LogoGauge to test the Patriots game balls at halftime, and that the game officials most likely switched gauges before measuring the Colts balls at halftime (with the one anomaly described above).

Just what measurements are they relying on to judge if the pressure was consistently higher or lower? Anderson didn't record any pressure readings, simply ensured they were within the allowable range.

If his recollection is correct, and he used the logo gauge then I repeat Florio's observation.

Based on those readings, three of the footballs were above the predicted range, five were in the predicted range, and three were below the predicted range.​

That sounds to me to be perfectly in line with the environment affecting the psi.

It's ludicrous.

The investigation took as gospel Anderson's recollection that the pre-game psi was 12.5 psi, but rejected his recollection that he used the logo gauge "with the crooked needle".

From Florio at PFT

But that observation hinges on the question of which gauge was used to set the PSI prior to kickoff. If the gauge that generates the higher numbers was used, the measurements of the Patriots footballs taken by that gauge are mostly consistent with the 11.52-11.32 PSI range at halftime: (1) 11.8; (2) 11.2; (3) 11.5; (4) 11.0; (5) 11.45; (6) 11.95; (7) 12.3; (8) 11.55; (9) 11.35; (10) 10.9; and (11) 11.35.

Based on those readings, three of the footballs were above the predicted range, five were in the predicted range, and three were below the predicted range.

It had to be incorrect, otherwise there would be no evidence that tampering even occurred.

:coffee:

I have to agree, this whole deflated football fiasco is a freakin joke. The NFL should be ashamed of themselves for even making this whole thing public.

It's ludicrous.

From Florio at PFT

From page 116 of the report.

Just what measurements are they relying on to judge if the pressure was consistently higher or lower? Anderson didn't record any pressure readings, simply ensured they were within the allowable range.

If his recollection is correct, and he used the logo gauge then I repeat Florio's observation.

Based on those readings, three of the footballs were above the predicted range, five were in the predicted range, and three were below the predicted range.​

That sounds to me to be perfectly in line with the environment affecting the psi.

He actually used both gauges. He used the logo one on the Pats balls and the non logo on the Colts balls. It's the only way the measurements work. They never take into account the PSI differential, the swing between the gauges of 30- 45 PSI's at the game start. The Pats balls were between 12.20 and 12.05 PSI's to start the Colts balls on the other hand were between 13.45 and 13.35 to start the game. Oh and the refs never switched gauges before measuring the Colts balls. Numbers don't lie.

~Dee~

In an excellent piece from CSNNE's Rich Levine, he reveals the text message exchange after the NYJ game (recovered from the deleted phone of the equipment manager) in its full form. Wells claimed that they were unable to recover the full text message. It took Levine 1 trip to Apple to recover the full conversation:

Lmao that's hilarious

...fake though, right? Right?

You know those text massages used in the report to make Brady look like he knew something fishy was going on? Ya know the ones where he said that MacNally must have a "a lot of stress getting them done?" Matt Levine at CSNNE was able to get the full text stream and it looks like Jastremski was talking about Belichick and practice film. Full article at the link:

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/wells-report-lost-text-messages

You know those text massages used in the report to make Brady look like he knew something fishy was going on? Ya know the ones where he said that MacNally must have a "a lot of stress getting them done?" Matt Levine at CSNNE was able to get the full text stream and it looks like Jastremski was talking about Belichick and practice film. Full article at the link:

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/wells-report-lost-text-messages

I'd be careful about taking those too serious. I doubt those two guys actually text that fast. Like here:

09:06:57 EDT
McNally: Well you tell that goon that I used the rest of the tape on the Jets last week. Gotta few more extra rolls, but I need to delete some old footage first.

09:07:08 EDT
Jastremski: Talked to him last night. He actually brought you up and said you must have a lot of stress trying to get them done.

09:07:18 EDT
McNally: And I’m guessing you said it was my fault?

Like..do we really think some said all of this in the span of 21 seconds on a phone? Unless it gets "Certified" I'd not get too caught up in it

stand strong, no suspensions!!! No Fine!!!!
the league owes Kraft an apology

He does at that but i firmly believe the report is worded as such so there would be no apology.

~Dee~

I'd be careful about taking those too serious. I doubt those two guys actually text that fast. Like here:

McNally: Well you tell that goon that I used the rest of the tape on the Jets last week. Gotta few more extra rolls, but I need to delete some old footage first.

Jastremski: Talked to him last night. He actually brought you up and said you must have a lot of stress trying to get them done.

Like..do we really think some said all of this in the span of 21 seconds on a phone? Unless it gets "Certified" I'd not get too caught up in it

Oops. Yeah. It looks fictional in retrospect.

more to the point is the Wells team could not crack the code and get the text messages yet LEvine could, and that is without the 5 million to spend on it!!

Rich Levine ‏@rich_levine 55m55 minutes ago
@ScottFarmelant no no. That part at the end is just a joke. Sorry thought that was clear. All the other inconsistencies are real

more to the point is the Wells team could not crack the code and get the text messages yet LEvine could, and that is without the 5 million to spend on it!!

Right the point is that not all of the texts are there and context is key

It's a joke. He's making it look like BB was using them to spy on team's practices.

Back