Thugs and quitters, now welcome.

jaric on 04-30-2007 at 12:31 PM said:
Well before I start, even though I like Gonzelez as a slot reciever, and think that we should have drafted a WR at some point over the weekend, I would have gone defense early.

That being said:

The colts philosophy has always been to put Manning in a position to succede. The times our offense was most productive was out of the 3WR singleback set. With Wayne and Harrison alone we have a mismatch, but add in Dallas Clark (who actually could play slot) and a good slot reciever (which Gonzalez "should" be) and it's a literal embarssment of riches on offense.

Which leads to points. Lots of points.

Which in a round about way, helps our defense because it will force teams to play to our strengths. The game plan against the colts was always to slow down the offense by limiting big plays, and playing clock control on offense.

You can't do that down by 2-3 touchdowns. Our defense is at it's absolute best when it has a lead, and guys like D-Freeney can pin their ears back and go after the QB. It's what they were built to do. So it does make sense to make sure our offense can put them in a position to succede.

I still would have gone Linebacker or DT, but then again, I am just a message board poster and not a GM.

I REALLY like the Quinn Pitcock pick at DT. I think he was made for our system, and could potentially start if Simon does not come back (which is what most of us are counting on, but it is still possible he would come back)

Also Daymeion Hughes was BUILT to play corner in a cover-2 system.

The only thing that has me scratching my head is trading up to pick up Tony Ugoh in the second round. Now, I can never critisize taking an offensive linemen with any pick. I've always believed that is the biggest measure of success or failure in this league.

My only question is why the trade up, but I'll take a big swig of Kool-aid and trust we know what we are doing.

Thanks for an astute analysis/opinion on Indy's draft. Could you do us all a favor and take Dashoe aside, Tony Soprano style and have a talk with him like he was Vito's son?? I'm sure he sh*ts in the shower as well. :D

I guess I just assume that Indy is already loaded with weapons surrounding Peyton. They have, among the WR's I mentioned before and Clark, Joseph Addai. How can you compliment that offense any further?

I prefer the balanced approach and not for nothing but the NE offense now has the potential to match Indy's but who's defense would you prefer if you had one game to win?

As for the draft picks, glad that you're happy, like I said, this past weekend is one of the most exciting for football fans. I don't know much about the guys you drafted as I don't follow College ball much. You seem to know about them so I'll defer to you that they got good value in later rounds.

Jaric always does a wonderful job of saying just what I want to say. ;)

Tony Ugoh is the pick that I'm less than happy about as well. Like Jaric, someone pass me the Kool-Aid.

O_P_T on 04-30-2007 at 12:46 PM said:
Name me a defense in the NFL that doesn't play better with a 2 -3 TD lead.

the patriots?

Fully Tilted on 04-30-2007 at 12:17 PM said:
Put down your pom-poms for a minute and attempt to convince me that the Colts had a pressing need at WR and that this was a solid pick.

They might as well have drafted a QB in the first round.

The Colts draft the best players available. They drafted Reggie Wayne, and Dallas Clark when most people said they needed defense. They turned out ok.

Contrary to popular belief, the Colts DO have depth on defense. Their last 2 drafts have been mostly defense and all of the players they lost are already replaced by those draft picks.

June- Keiaho(big time hitter played last year)

Harper- Jackson(sealed the AFCC game picked off Brady)

David- Hayden(sealed the SB win w/pick 6)

Doss- Bethea(starter on SB team)

Reagor- McFarland(instrumental in SB run)

Plus all of the defensive players drafted this year provides more than enough depth and the offense gets even more dangerous.

O_P_T on 04-30-2007 at 12:46 PM said:
Name me a defense in the NFL that doesn't play better with a 2 -3 TD lead.
I see what you are getting at.

Here is the thing though. When you play against the colts, the game can get out of hand very quickly if you are not prepared. That's why the patriots have been the biggest thorn in our side over the years, because very few teams make as few mistakes as they do.

The colts are a team, that specifically on offense will absolutely burn you if you make a mistake. The TD pass Manning threw in the superbowl was a prime example. Missed coverage. Boom, touchdown. Now that's an obvious example, but it happens against every team in less recognizable ways. We make you pay for mistakes.

Now on defense. Our defense is build to stop the pass. It was built this way, because with the offensive firepower we had, it puts teams in a position to try to match Manning TD for TD, which is generally foolish. Even Brady has said, that when you play the colts, there is pressure to score on every play, because otherwise you might find yourself down a TD or two and the game could be out of hand before the first half ends.

Our defense was never made to play a field position type game where yards are at a premium and you punt your way to field goal glory. We are a "big play" defense. Sacks, fumbles, interceptions. That's what they do best. And all of that is based around putting an offense in a position where they have to pass.

And if the other team is ahead, they have no reason to pass, and our weakness is exposed as it were. Because despite our playoff performance, this defense is not very good at stopping the run. Some of that is scheme, some is personel.

dashoe on 04-30-2007 at 11:18 AM said:
Are you kidding? Just about everyone knows who Gonzales is.

#1-Harrison

#2-Wayne

#3-Gonzales

Just watch how good of a WR Gonzo will be in the Colts offense with Manning throwing him the ball. He'll be twice the receiver Stokley was.

Great selection by the Colts, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about.

Only a Colts fan would think that drafting a #3 WR, with all of the Colts' deficiencies on defense, would be a GOOD thing.
Laughable.

Might I add.... the Pats defense is NOT that great and they didn't do a whole lot to improve it. It's an old defense and one that had many flaws last year and Randy Moss doesn't play defense.

Yeah, you're right dashoe. The Pats defense sucks. There were only in the top 5 in lease points allowed. That pisses me off that they weren't #1.

If I had to choose between the 2 defenses, I would unbiasedly (is that a word) take the Pats defense right now.

dashoe on 04-30-2007 at 01:05 PM said:
Might I add.... the Pats defense is NOT that great and they didn't do a whole lot to improve it. It's an old defense and one that had many flaws last year and Randy Moss doesn't play defense.

Right... Adalius Thomas, he's a nobody. Probably bring Seau back, have signed several DBs, drafted a solid safety...
yeah, haven't done anything.

Who have the Colts taken via free agency again?

PatsFan09 on 04-30-2007 at 01:09 PM said:
Right... Adalius Thomas, he's a nobody. Probably bring Seau back, have signed several DBs, drafted a solid safety...

We resigned Rocky Boiman.

I can smell your fear :D

PatsFan09 on 04-30-2007 at 01:05 PM said:
Only a Colts fan would think that drafting a #3 WR, with all of the Colts' deficiencies on defense, would be a GOOD thing.
Laughable.

You probably said that Addai was a bust, also. Who is laughing now?ROFL

Teams that draft for "need" usually draft the wrong players. Colts draft good players, period.

Their "needs" on defense aren't as big as some are saying. Seems people forget about past drafts.

dashoe on 04-30-2007 at 01:00 PM said:
The Colts draft the best players available. They drafted Reggie Wayne, and Dallas Clark when most people said they needed defense. They turned out ok.

Contrary to popular belief, the Colts DO have depth on defense. Their last 2 drafts have been mostly defense and all of the players they lost are already replaced by those draft picks.

June- Keiaho(big time hitter played last year)

Harper- Jackson(sealed the AFCC game picked off Brady)

David- Hayden(sealed the SB win w/pick 6)

Doss- Bethea(starter on SB team)

Reagor- McFarland(instrumental in SB run)

Plus all of the defensive players drafted this year provides more than enough depth and the offense gets even more dangerous.

Correction, Dash. What you just showed is that the Colts HAD depth. Sure, we've replaced the guys on the left with pretty good guys. The problem now is, what happens when the guys on the right get hurt? That's why we have depth issues.

dashoe on 04-30-2007 at 01:10 PM said:
You probably said that Addai was a bust, also. Who is laughing now?ROFL

Teams that draft for "need" usually draft the wrong players. Colts draft good players, period.

Their "needs" on defense aren't as big as some are saying. Seems people forget about past drafts.

I don't recall saying anything about drafting a RB being a bad idea last year for the Colts. James had already left, you idiot; everyone knew that the Colts were going to draft an RB. Drafting a #3 WR, on the other hand, seems pretty lame; most teams, by and large, take #3 WRs in later rounds, or via free agency, as a #3 WR is never seen as a priority over, hmm, let's see, the 32nd ranked running defense.

PatsFan09 on 04-30-2007 at 01:09 PM said:

Thomas is old and was let go by the Ravens for a reason.

HAHA!! If you think teams win in the NFL through Free Agency you haven't watched a minute of football in your life.ROFL

dashoe on 04-30-2007 at 01:05 PM said:
Might I add.... the Pats defense is NOT that great and they didn't do a whole lot to improve it.

Adalius Thomas says 'hi'.

(You do realizes how much defense Indy lost this year, right?):LOL:

I don't remember too many people here laughing at the Addai pick. Edge left via free agency and they had to fill that void.

Now, he's definately the #1 guy as Mr. Rhodes is gone too. You're counting on no injuries this year? Good luck.

dashoe on 04-30-2007 at 01:13 PM said:

HAHA!! If you think teams win in the NFL through Free Agency you haven't watched a minute of football in your life.ROFL
"Let go"?

You DO know what free agency is, don't you, idiot? He was ranked the #1 or #2 best available free agent at the beginning of the offseason.

Why haven't we assclowned this dolt again? You do realize that D22 actually contributes more than this clown.

dashoe on 04-30-2007 at 01:13 PM said:

The Ravens couldn't afford to sign him due to cap problems. Pay attention.

Back