Tragedy in Dungy Family

cka203 said:
I was just getting ready to post this, Ras... I saw it, too. Yes, he was planning a party for Jan. 6 and yes, there was a party last night that he planned to attend. I really don't believe it was suicide... maybe he drank too much? :shrug:

Nothing will make the loss any easier to bear, but I think it would mean something to know he didn't take his own life.

It's just sad, and one of those times you wanna ask God why?
Sometimes it takes a tragedy to make someone see daylight.

A lot of the pics his friends had showed parties and drinking and they are only high school kids.

If the eventual cause of death was due to alcohol or something else, wouldn't it be an opportunity for the NFL to author some PSAs about drinking and the abuses of teenage drinking?

But then, wouldn't the NFL kill some of their major sponsors like Coors Light and Bud?

Ras-Al-Ghul said:

A lot of the pics his friends had showed parties and drinking and they are only high school kids.

If the eventual cause of death was due to alcohol or something else, wouldn't it be an opportunity for the NFL to author some PSAs about drinking and the abuses of teenage drinking?

But then, wouldn't the NFL kill some of their major sponsors like Coors Light and Bud?

I dunno... they could probably do something like the "drink responsibly" ads, and those "talk to your kids, they'll listen" ads. and not honk off the sponsors. Something to consider, for sure.

This is just heart-sickening news. Heard it on the way home from work. Just a terrible thing for any parent to go through. Tony and his family will need all the goodwill in the world over the next couple of weeks and beyond. :(

Ras-Al-Ghul said:

Ras, kids today take these party picts to post to be cool, I talk a lot with my nephews and from the info I gather, the drinking is a lot less today than when I was their age.

it is the other stuff that is out there. not saying one is better/worse than the other but the availability is easier today.

I was shocked to talk to my soon to be 20 y.o. nephew and his friends to what they do and see but it is not much different then when I was their age and actually they are better off - less driving going on afterwards. Kids are not angels but I know there are many a picture similar to those floating around scrap books only because the internet was still an idea in Al Gores head when I was partying. If the sites were available then that are now, I know they would be posted much like these.

what I'm trying to say is things are more open and less hidden now. the myspace type pages allows kids to post stuff, stuff my parents knew because I could talk to them, but my friends parents had no clue. And if you are like my sister-in-law, you can get on line and read the post and look at the picts and see what your kids are doing.

Speculation of cause of death is just that, speculation. To me cause doesn't matter as much as the fact an 18 y.o. kids is no longer around and his parents now have to handle that the best way they can and explain it to his siblings.

I hope the media can respect the privacy of Coach Dungy and his family but in my heart realize the majority won't.

Ras-Al-Ghul said:

I don't think anyone's ever drank themselves to death off of beer. You're usually looking at hard alcohol.

Alcoholic9 said:
I don't think anyone's ever drank themselves to death off of beer. You're usually looking at hard alcohol.
I have felt like death after just beer.

I think you can, funnels and shotgunning beers, the practice of 21 drinks after midnight on your 21st birthday. you could do it. but yes I would think hard stuff would enter the system faster and more the nlikely stay within the system.

This is terrible. Putting our teams' rivalry aside, this is a very sad day.
I'm kinda at a loss for words right now, not really expressing myself very well.

But my thoughts are with Tony and his family at this very difficult time.:(

That is very sad to hear. A young life ended before even getting started. I hope and wish Dungy and his family strength to overcome this loss.

I agree, my heart goes out to the Dungy family. What a terrible loss. It will be interesting to see how the players react and come out and play Sunday or how this will affect the rest of the season for Dungy. Hopefully they get through some tough times.

Rivalry aside, i hate Tony Dungy the coach of the Colts, but I like and admire Tony Dungy the man..its a shame stuff like this happens to anyone....my prayers go out to him and his family

A loss of a loved one is very hard to deal with, especially this time of year.

Our prayers are with the Dungy Family

I am so sorry to hear the news, rest in peace James and my prayers are with Mr. Dungy and his family.

That is just awful, and how any family can endure such a tragedy is beyond me. Especially at Christmastime. Prayers to the Dungy family. They are going to need em for sure.

My thoughts and prayers are with the Dungy family.

What a way to spend the Holidays. Very sad.

ESPN is saying that the death appears to be from suicide.

I don't know what else to say. How senseless. But do not judge, friends, until you've walked a mile in his shoes.

Hopefully now he is at peace. May God have mercy on his soul. :(

TrueBeliever said:
ESPN is saying that the death appears to be from suicide.

I don't know what else to say. How senseless. But do not judge, friends, until you've walked a mile in his shoes.

Hopefully now he is at peace. May God have mercy on his soul. :(

Did they mention by what?

Back