Tragedy in Dungy Family

Alcoholic9 said:
Did they mention by what?

From ESPN.com:

"Based on evidence at the scene, indications are that this death appears to be a suicide," Sheriff's spokeswoman Debbie Carter said. "There is no evidence to contradict that at this time." Police said there was no note found.

The medical examiner's office has told ESPN that the exact cause of death will be determined by an autopsy, scheduled for Friday morning.

bideau said:
From ESPN.com:

Watching SC this morning...

And I'm not trying to speculate or anything but something struck me as kind of odd.

They reported that Dungy's girlfriend went for a walk. Was only gone for about 10 minutes. And when she returned she found him not breathing.

It was one o'clock in the morning. Who goes for a walk at one in the morning?

Just seems kind of odd to me.

mgoblue101415 said:
Watching SC this morning...

And I'm not trying to speculate or anything but something struck me as kind of odd.

They reported that Dungy's girlfriend went for a walk. Was only gone for about 10 minutes. And when she returned she found him not breathing.

It was one o'clock in the morning. Who goes for a walk at one in the morning?

Just seems kind of odd to me.

Sounds like a fight. I certainly hope this wasn't one of those "I'll show her by killing myself" things. If so, well I'm not gonna say anything just yet.

If this is true I don't see pills being the culprit, who OD's on pills in 10 minutes? I'm not sure that's even possible.

I've been watching NFL Network, ESPN, all the shows I can find, and I am overwhelmed by the response from coaches and players around the league. I hope Tony is able to view this at some point, and realize all the love, respect and sympathy he has from around the entire NFL. I have no idea when he'll return to the team, and I know it's gonna be hard for our guys, but I hope they make him proud in the coming games and post-season.

Thats a good possibility Alcoholic. Sadly, it is. Because why else would he possibly kill himself? His family was loaded, he was in college, and he spent time with his father at games. It just makes no sense that he would flat out kill himself. It could very well be the girlfriend:( And if thats the case, what a stupid, STUPID thing to do. Wasting a young life over a girl...

FWIW, this article from Indy Star...

By all accounts, he was a good kid, but something within the past few months went wrong... don't know what or why... :(

James Dungy was both full of faith and deeply troubled

Neighbors say he had turned negative; others recall a happy, polite young man

Related articles
• Devastating loss: Dungy's son, 18, dies
• Buccaneers feel former coach's loss
• Dungy recalled as quiet celebrity
• 'Jamie' made friends easily on teams
• Colts owner got call from coach at 4 a.m.
• Flight to Seattle will be solemn trip for team, officials
• Assistant's job: keep team focused, be 'good soldier'
• For Colts coach, being a father requires commitment, compassion (Oct. 9, 2004)
• Coach is close to his family (Dec. 3, 2004)
• Remarks from Bill Polian's Thursday news conference
• Team, city grieve with father figure of a coach

Photo Galleries
Death in an NFL family

Related links
• Colts message board
• Ask the expert: Colts reporter Mike Chappell

By Mark Alesia
mark.alesia@indystar.com

LUTZ, Fla. -- In her apartment next door to where James Dungy lived, Sharltonya Weathers recalled her horror when she arrived home early Thursday morning after being at a club.

"When I saw the police and a neighbor told me he died, I fell to my knees," Weathers, 22, said Thursday night. "I asked God, 'Don't blame him.' Don't blame him because he was calling out."

From interviews with people in Tampa, conflicting views of James Dungy emerged. Some saw an extremely nice man who would pray in public. Others saw someone deeply troubled beneath the surface.

"When I first met him, he was a pretty cool guy, but after a while, he would always talk negative," said Shanda Walker, 26, Weathers' roommate. "After Thanksgiving break, we were talking about our families, and he said, (expletive) Thanksgiving. He never had anything good to say about his life."

Across the street from the gated apartment complex where Dungy lived, Sean Soufan, 38, saw a different side of Dungy. Soufan works as a cashier at a gas station and convenience store and said Dungy was a frequent customer.

Late Wednesday afternoon, Soufan said, Dungy bought water and snacks.

"He was so quiet, very nice," Soufan said. "He said he was going to go home for the holidays. He said goodbye and I'll see you in a couple of weeks. It was always him or him and his girlfriend."
After asking for an update about the circumstances of Dungy's death and being told authorities think it was a suicide, Soufan's voice turned sadder.

"Why is that?" he said. "He was here yesterday. He was normal."

Troubling Web site

A profile on a popular free Internet community under the name James Dungy, with a photo of the Indianapolis Colts coach's eldest son and apparent first-person narrative from him, told a different story.

The site contained pictures of handguns, marijuana, stacks of cash, gang signs and sexual positions. Heroes listed included "the D.C. Snipers." It could not be verified that the site was created by Dungy, and it was taken offline Thursday afternoon.

Many friends were shocked at the site, in which Dungy appeared wearing a bandana over his nose and mouth beside text condemning the police.

Jamie Marie Gonzalez, a high school senior in Tampa who said she had dated Dungy, said it was a front, the Tampa Tribune reported.

"I think he was trying to portray himself as being tough, but he was nothing like that," she wrote in an online exchange with a reporter. "Well, at least when we went out he wasn't . . . he was extremely sweet!"

Valerie Gonzalez, Jamie Marie's mother, echoed her daughter's thoughts.

"The boy went to church on Wednesdays, twice on Sundays, very polite," she told the Tribune. "He was a very nice young man."
"He was a great kid"

Zenon Andrusyshyn, the West Coast Florida area director for Fellowship of Christian Athletes, recalled James Dungy as an extremely friendly kid.

Dungy attended Fellowship of Christian Athletes meetings and camps many times while growing up.

Andrusyshyn said he had bumped into Dungy about a year ago when the teen was bagging groceries at an area grocery store, the Tribune reported. Dungy asked Andrusyshyn to pray with him for his grandfather's health. The two bowed their heads and prayed. It left an impression on Andrusyshyn.

"I thought that was remarkable for a young kid to ask if we could pray right there in the store," he said. "You realize this man was a sensitive man. He loved his family and his relatives. I just don't know what could have happened."

Weathers said Dungy had recently taken a job at a local mall.
Dungy attended Tampa's Gaither High School his junior year and played football. He returned two weeks ago to visit Gaither head coach Mark Kantor.

Kantor said he and Dungy talked about his dad and how the younger Dungy was glad to be back in Tampa, the Tribune reported. Kantor said Dungy seemed happy and never let on there were troubles.

"He met me in my office, and he didn't give me a handshake -- he gave me a hug. He was a great kid," Kantor said. "It's not only a sad day for this area, but a sad day in sports. The only thing I can do now is pray for his family."

In Tampa, where Tony Dungy coached the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for six years, there was an outpouring of support for Dungy's family.

A Christian radio station took calls during evening rush hour, praying and doing interviews about Dungy's death.

"A lot of the guys who are close to Tony understand he has faith, and that's the only thing that allows you to get through difficult times," said Doug Gilcrease, team chaplain for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Just a thing I noticed from this, it's obvious he was forcing the kid to work. Most kids don't bag groceries when daddy's a millionaire.

No judgement on that, I'm sure a lot of people here will agree with him teaching his son the value of money and a hard days work but still it's an interesting thing to note.

OK, I've been trying to stay away from this topic for fear of being labeled a "heartless prick". However, I have to throw my 2 cents in on this topic. I can't hold back any longer.

First off, my condolences to the Dungy family. It must be a very difficult time for them, especially approaching the holidays.

OK, that being said, what makes this tragedy any different than any other tragedy? People lose loved ones every day in a variety of ways. There are numerous tragic events that happen to the common folk every day. So why are we all harping on the Dungy tragedy???

A guy that one of my buddies works with had his 16 year old daughter kill herself about a month ago. What a terrible loss for him and his family. Yet it didn't make the papers and nobody is talking about it, because he's just an average citizen.

My wife's co-worker's son overdosed on Oxycontin the day after Thanksgiving and died. He was 22 years old. Again, a complete tragedy for this poor woman to endure, but nobody is talking about it or even knows about it because she's just some lady.

The fact of the matter is this. So many terrible things happen to people every day, yet nobody gives a shit unless it's somebody famous. So I've taken the opposite approach. I don't give a shit when it happens to somebody famous. I'm more concerned when it happens to the common citizen who is just trying to make sense of it all.

Sorry folks, that just how I feel.

I suppose that the reason I care about Tony Dungy, is that (although I've never met him) I have a positive opinion about him. Whether he's a celebrity or not is of no consequence to me. Now, if it were someone that I thought was an a-hole (like Bill Parcells), I probably wouldn't have the same feelings, like I do for Tony Dungy.

I think whether someone is a celebrity or not should be irrelevant (positively and/or negatively). I'm not saying my feelings are correct either, that's just how I feel.
________
extreme vaporizer

Spinal Tap said:
OK, I've been trying to stay away from this topic for fear of being labeled a "heartless prick". However, I have to throw my 2 cents in on this topic. I can't hold back any longer.

First off, my condolences to the Dungy family. It must be a very difficult time for them, especially approaching the holidays.

OK, that being said, what makes this tragedy any different than any other tragedy? People lose loved ones every day in a variety of ways. There are numerous tragic events that happen to the common folk every day. So why are we all harping on the Dungy tragedy???

A guy that one of my buddies works with had his 16 year old daughter kill herself about a month ago. What a terrible loss for him and his family. Yet it didn't make the papers and nobody is talking about it, because he's just an average citizen.

My wife's co-worker's son overdosed on Oxycontin the day after Thanksgiving and died. He was 22 years old. Again, a complete tragedy for this poor woman to endure, but nobody is talking about it or even knows about it because she's just some lady.

The fact of the matter is this. So many terrible things happen to people every day, yet nobody gives a shit unless it's somebody famous. So I've taken the opposite approach. I don't give a shit when it happens to somebody famous. I'm more concerned when it happens to the common citizen who is just trying to make sense of it all.

Sorry folks, that just how I feel.

I think the difference is we all know of Tony Dungy. None of us knew the people you mentioned existed until now.

While what you say is tragic and sad for them you have to realize we did not, nor did we have any way of knowing.

Can you blame us for that? Or blame us for knowing about Dungy since he's an NFL coach and not just some coworker of yours?

Sure shitty things happen everyday. I could kill myself tommorow and I doubt anyone on this board would ever know. There may be a few "where's Alco" threads but that's it.

Bottom line, we send condolences to Dungy because we all do know him, and know what happened

Hey, I'm not saying that I don't feel sorry for Tony Dungy and his family. I'm also not saying that anybody else should or shouldn't feel bad about what happened to him.

Please, I did not post that to get into a heated discussion about who should get your condolences and who shouldn't. All I'm giving you is my feelings about this situation. I don't know Tony Dungy, I just know of him. That doesn't make me feel any worse for him than it does anyone else I may hear about or read about in the paper.

Spinal Tap said:
Hey, I'm not saying that I don't feel sorry for Tony Dungy and his family. I'm also not saying that anybody else should or shouldn't feel bad about what happened to him.

Please, I did not post that to get into a heated discussion about who should get your condolences and who shouldn't. All I'm giving you is my feelings about this situation. I don't know Tony Dungy, I just know of him. That doesn't make me feel any worse for him than it does anyone else I may hear about or read about in the paper.

No heated discussion from me. It's a legitimate question that would make a good topic on it's own. I've heard of some Indy fans who want to have candlelight vigils. A little extreme for my taste. But many people identify with celenrities to the point that they look at them as practically family. We're a star struck society. Always have been. And it's just fueled further by today's "on the spot" media.

For me, I'm saddened from a parent's perspective. I can't think of anything more horrible to live through. But, I feel that way whenever I see any story of a parent losing a child. I don't think of money or status because at that point, it's irrelevant. I see the grief on the parents' faces and it goes right through me. And I can't imagine how empty I would feel if I had to live through it.

bideau said:
No heated discussion from me. It's a legitimate question that would make a good topic on it's own. I've heard of some Indy fans who want to have candlelight vigils. A little extreme for my taste. But many people identify with celenrities to the point that they look at them as practically family. We're a star struck society. Always have been. And it's just fueled further by today's "on the spot" media.

For me, I'm saddened from a parent's perspective. I can't think of anything more horrible to live through. But, I feel that way whenever I see any story of a parent losing a child. I don't think of money or status because at that point, it's irrelevant. I see the grief on the parents' faces and it goes right through me. And I can't imagine how empty I would feel if I had to live through it.
Ditto

(or as KenJr would say, Me Too)
:D
________
roor bong

Spinal Tap said:

Spinal Tap, I don't konw you, and can't judge you. Nor should I tell you how you should or sholdn't feel about a given situation. All I can suggest is that if you don't feel the same way about this that others do, then perhaps the right thing to do is just give your props and move on.

So the topic is not for you. big deal. I'm sure the last thing you'd want is for people to label you, in anyway becouse of your views on a topic you really don't care about.

just my 2 cents.

Police: James Dungy survived October overdose
source

A Florida hospital treated James Dungy for a drug overdose two months before his apparent suicide, according to police records.

The oldest son of Indianapolis Colts head coach Tony Dungy was found dead Thursday in his apartment in Lutz, Fla., a Tampa suburb. Autopsy results may be available today. The Hillsborough County (Fla.) Medical Examiner's Office said the death is an apparent suicide.

On Oct. 21, James Dungy, 18, said he was depressed when he took about 14 prescription painkillers, according to a Hillsborough County sheriff's report.

James Dungy was taken to an area hospital. No other information about the incident was immediately available

Spinal Tap:

I can understand the core of what you're getting at. Let me put it in this perspective for you. I was in a writing workshop in college, and I wrote a piece about the lynching in my hometown in 1930. It was the last public lynching in the U.S. Some people in the workshop questioned the piece, saying "why? why write this? there are far worse tragedies than this one..." (Only two people were hung).

But as the professor said: "How can you as a human being not want to write about these things?"

No, this tragedy isn't any "worse" than the person you speak of. The only difference is familiarity. Whenever we hear some story, of someone's child dying, of stories like Susan Smith drowning her babies years ago, it strikes a chord in us of how much we love our own children. It reminds us how much we would be torn apart, were it to happen to our own.

It reminds us of our own mortality, and I for one, would be destroyed to have to bury my own child.

Prayers for the Dungy family. Really makes you put things in perspective...the football season became a lot less important to me this week.

Back