Tragedy in Dungy Family

More on Polian's press conference.....
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From ESPN

Tony Dungy has left the Colts and is in Tampa. The Colts (13-1) are at Seattle on Saturday, and team president Bill Polian said that assistant head coach Jim Caldwell has taken over for Dungy.

Indianapolis lost its first game Sunday against the visiting San Diego Chargers, ending what had been a perfect season.

"The thoughts and prayers of everyone in this building are with Tony and [wife] Lauren, their children and their extended family, and for the repose of James' soul," Polian said at a news conference at the Colts' training facility in Indianapolis. "This is a tragedy for the Dungy family and by extension his football family here with the Colts."

Owner Jim Irsay and Polian met with team officials and players to break the news.

"It was not easy, and it was somber, to say the least," Polian said.

Caldwell will take over "for however long Tony will be away and however long he will be away is entirely up to him," Polian added.

"Tony made it clear to me and Jim [Irsay] he wished for the team and organization to carry on. We will. We have the greatest role model there is in Tony. Jim said to the team 'We'll emulate our leader.' "

The coach and his wife, Lauren, have four other children: daughters Tiara and Jade, and sons Eric and Jordan. James was taking extension classes at the University of South Florida, Morgan said.

James Dungy spent his senior year at North Central High School in Indianapolis and graduated this year. C.E. Quandt, the school's principal, said Dungy was a personable student who never flaunted his father's position.

"He just came in and tried to blend in and be a student," Quandt said. "I liked James a lot."

Quandt said Dungy visited North Central a week or two ago to pick up a transcript. He said the death surprised and saddened everyone at the school.

"It kind of diminishes our school family," he said.

James stood 6-foot-7 and was sometimes mistaken for one of his father's players, The Indianapolis Star reported on its Web site. James and his younger brother, Eric, sometimes watched Colts games from the sideline, but they had to earn it by doing well in school.

Fans posted prayers and messages of support for Dungy, who also coached the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, on a message board on a Colts fan Web site.

"Not only was he a great football coach for the Bucs, but he is an even better person," one Tampa Bay fan wrote. "It makes me sick that it happened at this time of year to a person that is so giving and caring."

Dungy was an assistant coach with the Minnesota Vikings from 1992 to 1995, before he became Tampa Bay's head coach.

He began coaching in 1980, as defensive backs coach at the University of Minnesota, his alma mater. He was quarterback for the Gophers from 1973-1976.

Guys workhorse posted the link to here Thank you for all the kind words in this time of tragedy for not just the Colts but for football.
My prayers are with Tony and his family in their time of need.
I just wanted to say thanks and God Bless

You know, I'd also like to point out that it may NOT be suicide. Just because the police said foul play was not suspected, people assume it's suicide and/or overdose. But there could be some medical condition, like the heart ailments that have felled many young male athletes, or even a stroke, or any number of things. I'm hopeful that it was something like that... anything besides suicide... I think that would make it easier for the family and friends of this young man.

Tony Dungy is a class act all around.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family during this incredibly difficult time for them.

cadmonkey said:
We just keep popping kids out left and right, God has to make room some how.
You think God is responsible for the death of James Dungy?:rolleyes:

cka203 said:
You know, I'd also like to point out that it may NOT be suicide. Just because the police said foul play was not suspected, people assume it's suicide and/or overdose. But there could be some medical condition, like the heart ailments that have felled many young male athletes, or even a stroke, or any number of things. I'm hopeful that it was something like that... anything besides suicide... I think that would make it easier for the family and friends of this young man.

Very true. I hope for the sake of the family that proves to be the case. Losing a child is bad enough when it's accidental or natural causes ...

This is truly aweful news. I think Tony Dungy is a fine person, and this seems to show that bad things happen to good people sometimes.

All the best for Mr. Dungy....and I'll bet this news, although onerous, may serve to bring his players together even more, to sort of "win one for the gipper".

Anyway, God bless Tony Dungy, and his family.

BTW, I tried to go to the website mentioned a few posts down, and my at-work network blocked it...... I'll check it out later, I guess

You're a classy bunch of guys/gals.

If I lost my son, I don't think I could function properly for years, let alone coach football.

My thoughts are with Dungy and his family.

I followed one of the links on James's website and he said he was having a party on 1/6. He also wrote to one of his friends about some party, (I think that night).

I wonder if his death is related to that party and alcohol or drugs were the cause instead of a "suicide" the press initially said.

Not that it would make a difference in his death to his family, but knowing it might have been an accidental death versus a suicide may be some consolation.

Regardless, my sympathies out to his family and his dad, who IS one class act.

Steve-o said:
You're a classy bunch of guys/gals.

If I lost my son, I don't think I could function properly for years, let alone coach football.

My thoughts are with Dungy and his family.

Thats what amazes me about football players/coaches. To lose a father or a son, or anything like that for the matter and go out and be able to preform at a high level is amazing.

BionicPatriot said:
Thats what amazes me about football players/coaches. To lose a father or a son, or anything like that for the matter and go out and be able to preform at a high level is amazing.

I think there's alot of comfort when returning to the locker room. The player/coach is surrounded by people who care deeply about him. He can immerse himself in his work and try to get away from the grief for just a little while.

I can see where his wife and other children will have an extremely difficult time dealing with the atfer effects. They won't have the same support system.

Ras-Al-Ghul said:
I followed one of the links on James's website and he said he was having a party on 1/6. He also wrote to one of his friends about some party, (I think that night).

I wonder if his death is related to that party and alcohol or drugs were the cause instead of a "suicide" the press initially said.

Not that it would make a difference in his death to his family, but knowing it might have been an accidental death versus a suicide may be some consolation.

Regardless, my sympathies out to his family and his dad, who IS one class act.

I was just getting ready to post this, Ras... I saw it, too. Yes, he was planning a party for Jan. 6 and yes, there was a party last night that he planned to attend. I really don't believe it was suicide... maybe he drank too much? :shrug:

Nothing will make the loss any easier to bear, but I think it would mean something to know he didn't take his own life.

It's just sad, and one of those times you wanna ask God why?

Back