Troy Brown called the patriots Front Runners

king of kings

Grammar offender
Reaction score
Now Mr. Patriot himself has bashed the patriots this year.
http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/2173731/brown-patriots-were-front-running-team
Appearing on 'NFL Sunday' with Dale Arnold, Chris Price, and Christian Fauria, former Patriots wide receiver Troy Brown surmised that this year's Pats team was unlike the ones he played on in the sense that they didn't exhibit the same kind of resolve/make-up when falling behind. An example, he pointed out, was how the team approached falling behind in its season-ending loss to the Jets.

"This year's football team, I can put in that category, that this was a front-running team," Brown said. "That's something we always talked about in New England about other teams about them being front-runners, if you can get them behind they would be a different football team. They fit that category this year very well. Once they got behind they had no idea what to do, made no adjustments, couldn't make any plays, couldn't pass the football, forgot about BenJarvus Green-Ellis. Everything went out the window. They had no idea what to do once they got behind."

As Price would point out, the Patriots didn't have to play from behind very often throughout the 2010 season. For example, when trailing in the regular season they totaled the third-fewest pass attempts (falling only behind the Ravens and Packers), and fifth-fewest rushing attempts in the entire NFL.

Sound reasonable as anything I have heard so far.........

I don't think he's calling out the team. He's calling out the coaching, in my view. And he's telling the truth.

I don't think he's calling out the team. He's calling out the coaching, in my view. And he's telling the truth.

nope....he is calling out both....

this just keeps reminding me of a quote from Dick Vermeil 2001-2003 ish that i wish i could find.......something along the lines of

that pats team was not more talented...they just have a lot more guys that refuse to loose than any other team.....

This. I don't think he's saying anything we didn't already realize. Aside from the Baltimore game, we didn't get it done when we were behind. Part of the maturation of a young team.

why is it anytime someone has something to say about the Patriots, that isn't "they are the greatest" is it considered "bashing".

"This team was built to be in the lead" is 100% true.

On those championship squads there were a few players I always believed had 0 BS in their veins and said what ever was on their mind so I always believed them. Troy was one of those. He called out the Pats when he was still on the team and they got debacled by Indy in 05 too.
I don't think it's all coaching he is criticizing here either. Inexperience + lack of mental toughness are player issues as well. This year's team wasn't as bad of frontrunners as the 09 squad though. Man that was miserable, that 09 team. Anyone think that 09 squad gets any of those clutch defensive plays made that the guys made this year? Nope. Yes a lot of that was a talent upgrade as well (such as McCourty etc. ) but making plays in the clutch is a mentality too, one that feeds on itself. This year they made quite a bit of progress which I loved to see but MUST continue to get mentally and physically tougher.

This year's team wasn't as bad of frontrunners as the 09 squad though. Man that was miserable, that 09 team. Anyone think that 09 squad gets any of those clutch defensive plays made that the guys made this year?

God, no. The '09 team is my least favorite of the BB era.

It is true. It isn't bashing. It isn't all Belichick's fault, but, if you're the head coach, the GM, there are no offensive or defensive coordinators...well shit, it's pretty much on YOU.

Of course the players for the most part decided to poop their pants as well. :coffee:

Well yeah, but its more of the reason of the teams makeup. When you have a defense that is suspect in the run, when you get behind, teams are going to grind you under, keep your offense off the field and beat you. Although 14-2 means, they must not have got behind very often. I mean GB take for example, are they a team that can come back? The jets? Jets play way better from ahead, so its not as though its something more than a better defense cannot fix.

Nothing at all wrong with what was said. Maybe if a few more guys in the locker room were as vocal as Troy or Tedy or Rodney, we'd show a little more gumption in games when we were down. Pointing fingers at the coaches is one thing, but it's a totally different thing to have guys who are willing to buckle up and put on their big boy pants when they're losing and play hard as hell regardless of the score. Maybe more fitting is that those guys like Troy, Tedy, Rodney, et al were willing to play HARDER when they were losing. Do we have guys like that now?

Nothing at all wrong with what was said. Maybe if a few more guys in the locker room were as vocal as Troy or Tedy or Rodney, we'd show a little more gumption in games when we were down. Pointing fingers at the coaches is one thing, but it's a totally different thing to have guys who are willing to buckle up and put on their big boy pants when they're losing and play hard as hell regardless of the score. Maybe more fitting is that those guys like Troy, Tedy, Rodney, et al were willing to play HARDER when they were losing. Do we have guys like that now?

Welll, not sure about that, this is a very young team, when bruschi and troy were young and on a young team, how much did they win? Its hard to talk about something you are not apart of.

Welll, not sure about that, this is a very young team, when bruschi and troy were young and on a young team, how much did they win? Its hard to talk about something you are not apart of.

they took bledsoe to an afc championship......youngest team in the nfl at the time.

I agree with this and Troy. The lack of urgency and energy was evident when they walked on the field against the Jeats. Everybody was ready to call Brady and BB the best ever before Sun. I miss those days when Brady and Vinatieri would come back when they were behind. You could count on it!:shake:. Maybe next year. If the Jeats lose today everybody will critique them as well.

I agree with this and Troy. The lack of urgency and energy was evident when they walked on the field against the Jeats. Everybody was ready to call Brady and BB the best ever before Sun. I miss those days when Brady and Vinatieri would come back when they were behind. You could count on it!:shake:. Maybe next year. If the Jeats lose today everybody will critique them as well.

The pats came back this year when they were behind, they were just not behind that often.

Then why are you talking about it? :shrug:

Back