Troy Polamalu

See, I think the thing is Lebeau doesn't trust his corners to cover the spread offense (rightly so) so he gives them help in the form of dropping more LBs back, and keeping Troy back there. The problem is if you keep Troy back in deep coverage the whole game, you're virtually eliminating his gamechanging abilities, and now the chances that he'll get burned are considerably higher than the chances that he'll make a big play. Troy is at his best when he's blitzing on one play and dropping back the next, one play he looks like he's dropping back but instead he comes on a blitz, another play he looks like he's going to blitz but he drops back instead. If you keep him back the whole game, you're taking away his greatest weapon, his unpredictability, and now instead of QBs having to react to him, he's reacting to the QB. It's a microcosm of the whole Lebeau defense, which is forced to take on a different and unwanted character whenever teams spread it out with multiple WRs because the corners can't be trusted to cover all those guys without considerable help. And thus the whole defense is neutralized. The problem of inadequate corners against your offense has plagued us since 2001. We can't get any pressure on Brady because we can't trust our secondary to cover your recievers. We can't cover your recievers because Brady has all day to throw. The result is futility.

seems to me that you'd do something to fix that, knowing that's the case. Also, since the Packers just beat you using the Pats offensive gameplan, you'd think that would also draw more notice.

The Steeler defense is built to stop a run-first offense. Works great against teams like the Crows and the Jesters, not so well against the Pats...or the Packers. Never will until LeBeau realizes there are some teams who will attack it's weakness and not show the slightest concern with being "balanced" offensively.

seems to me that you'd do something to fix that, knowing that's the case. Also, since the Packers just beat you using the Pats offensive gameplan, you'd think that would also draw more notice.

The Steeler defense is built to stop a run-first offense. Works great against teams like the Crows and the Jesters, not so well against the Pats...or the Packers. Never will until LeBeau realizes there are some teams who will attack it's weakness and not show the slightest concern with being "balanced" offensively.

That's my hope. It's not even that Lebeau is not able to deal with teams that rely on the pass. He just doesn't have the personell for it. Hasn't since Woodson and Carnell Lake left. I think we were close in 08 with Ike Taylor and Bryant McFadden, but ever since McFadden went to Arizona he hasn't been the same player. I think if we added another CB of Taylor's caliber, we could have a chance to take some more risks with blitzes, especially with the versatility of Polamalu and Timmons. One thing I've always wondered is why we don't bump WRs at the line, which seems like the logical thing to do against an offense like NE's which uses short quick passes and precise timing. But gradually I began to notice that at least one player does: Ike Taylor. Every other CB on our D gives a big cushion. I assume that's because they don't trust these guys not to get beat deep. But if you do that to the Pats they're just going to take the 5 or so yards you give them every time, and hope for a few YAC. If we intend to beat the Pats, IMO we MUST improve at CB.

Why is it everytime I see this guy play he's not very good, yet he wins defensive player of the year, and he's talked about like's he's the second coming:shrug:

I'm not saying the guy isn't really good, but IMO he's overrated.

I would take him over Meriweather ANYDAY of the week. :coffee:

Me too and I also agree about Polamalu. Great range and athlete, but he isn't necessarily a rocket scientist back there and Brady has made him look bad regularly for as long as he's been in the league. I got a kick out of Aikman desperately trying to find an excuse for his blowing his coverage on the TD pass to Jennings. He just blew it and lost his guy. That simple.

I suppose that guys that are "big-play" superstars are always going to give up a few going the other way because of the risks they take and some of that is due to the scheme they play in. Clay Matthews is the exact same deal. You live by the sword and sometimes you die by it, but the mediots like to build Superstars and tend to seldom point out their screw-ups and Polamalu is practically untouchable in this regard.

He's still way better than Big Bang Clock, though.
You could say almost the exact same thing about Lawrence Taylor and he's one of the greatest player to ever suit up.

You guys can say what you want, I'd take Troy on my team ANY day.

You guys can say what you want, I'd take Troy on my team ANY day.

Me too. I wanted him at #14 for the Pats in 2003.

Any player has their weaknesses and can be exploited at times. But Polamalu is one of the best to ever play the game, and he's made the big play time and time again. The Pats don't beat Indy in 2005 without him. They don't win the AFC North without him this year. He's a proven difference maker.

Back