Troy Polamalu

Yeah. Lebeau sees the Pats on tbe schedule and says, "Yeah, **** it. I'll just use some boring vanilla shit on 'em and save the creative stuff..." - keep tellin yourself that, SF87.

Maybe the Pats offense is better than Lebeau's D?

Please tell me thar part of your post was a joke.

lol, Troy overrated is laughable. He won multiple games this year by himself. The thing about Troy is he'll get burned sometimes, and sometimes he won't have the best form with his tackles, but you know (when he's healthy, and is playing his usual role) he's going to make the key play at the key moment to completely change the game. When he's back in deep coverage all day, and isn't moving around, coming up to the line, blitzing occasionally, and creating confusion, aka when he's not playing his game, he's average. When he is playing his game, he's a game changer. He hasn't been in that role pretty much the whole playoffs for some reason. He also for whatever reason isn't properly utilized against the Pats. I don't know why the past few times we've played you guys LeBeau has gone vanilla with less creative blitzes and less moving people around.

Thanks for making my point.

He's the Junior Seau of safeties, for better and for worse.

Seau's going to the Hall of Fame.

I'd take him on the Pats in a heartbeat, and so would BB. Guy's got a motor that doesn't quit.

lol, Troy overrated is laughable. He won multiple games this year by himself. The thing about Troy is he'll get burned sometimes, and sometimes he won't have the best form with his tackles, but you know (when he's healthy, and is playing his usual role) he's going to make the key play at the key moment to completely change the game. When he's back in deep coverage all day, and isn't moving around, coming up to the line, blitzing occasionally, and creating confusion, aka when he's not playing his game, he's average. When he is playing his game, he's a game changer. He hasn't been in that role pretty much the whole playoffs for some reason. He also for whatever reason isn't properly utilized against the Pats. I don't know why the past few times we've played you guys LeBeau has gone vanilla with less creative blitzes and less moving people around.

if it makes you feel better then you just keep telling yourself this.

He's the Junior Seau of safeties, for better and for worse.

Seau's going to the Hall of Fame.

I'd take him on the Pats in a heartbeat, and so would BB. Guy's got a motor that doesn't quit.

To be honest, I always thought Junior Seau was over rated, as well.

Me too and I also agree about Polamalu. Great range and athlete, but he isn't necessarily a rocket scientist back there and Brady has made him look bad regularly for as long as he's been in the league. I got a kick out of Aikman desperately trying to find an excuse for his blowing his coverage on the TD pass to Jennings. He just blew it and lost his guy. That simple.

I suppose that guys that are "big-play" superstars are always going to give up a few going the other way because of the risks they take and some of that is due to the scheme they play in. Clay Matthews is the exact same deal. You live by the sword and sometimes you die by it, but the mediots like to build Superstars and tend to seldom point out their screw-ups and Polamalu is practically untouchable in this regard.

He's still way better than Big Bang Clock, though.

Now you're beginning to see the comparison.

I never appreciated Seau's game...until he came to the Pats. I then realized he had just been playing the role he had been asked to: disrupter. When you've got a superior physical, intuitive talent like that in their prime, you've got to take the reigns off ocassionally and let them freelance. Hopefully, the other 10 do their jobs.

Two guys that come immediately come to mind are LT and Law. McGinest and Samuel too. (For the Samuel bashers out there, he's currently 5th in the NFL in active career INTs, only a handful behind the likes of Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson, who have played 4-5 more seasons.)

So...when circumstances and the stars are aligned for him to play exceptionally well...he does. Impressive.

I never appreciated Seau's game...until he came to the Pats. I then realized he had just been playing the role he had been asked to: disrupter. When you've got a superior physical, intuitive talent like that in their prime, you've got to take the reigns off ocassionally and let them freelance. Hopefully, the other 10 do their jobs.

Two guys that come immediately come to mind are LT and Law. McGinest and Samuel too. (For the Samuel bashers out there, he's currently 5th in the NFL in active career INTs, only a handful behind the likes of Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson, who have played 4-5 more seasons.)

Means poop to me.

He will be forever remembered in my book as letting a relatively easy pick slip through his fingers and causing Perfection to go down the drain.

I'm just a ray of sunshine...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tIdIqbv7SPo?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tIdIqbv7SPo?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

But back to the thread

He's always been a lesser talented Rodney Harrison to me. Good player, nice guy, etc, but he's not the football Jesus that Steeler fans think he is.

Troy is a playmaker, no doubt but he can be exploited. Because he freelances so much, the Patriots have used that to their advantage. If you can get him to bite on the playaction, you can do all kinds of things against him and the rest of the Steelers secondary isn't strong enough to make sure Troy is covered when he freelances. He's someone you have to account for on the field but if you account for him, you can be pretty effective against their defense as the Patriots have shown.

Oh thats it, its not that he gets lost playing the pats because they take advantage of him, its that the hall of fame coach does not use him right when playing the pats. I knew it had to be something.

Are you saying Samuel had his role and he was good in it? That I can see. I this is your position, you can skip the rest of this post. :p

But if you are equating INTS w/how great or even impactful of a player a guy is I can't agree. Bailey and especially Woodson are far better all around players than Samuel IMO. I would much much much much rather have an all around CB than an INT machine. And Samuel couldn't even start on the team until 05 unless they started the game w/nickel D. I mean yeah the immortal Tyrone Poole and Duane Starks and Earthwind and Poteat and all them..I can see why Samuel could never start until 05. I'm not being revisionist either...I was never a fan of a 1 trick pony type CB. The only way that's tolerable to me is if you have an all around guy on the other side like McCourty or Law or Revis or even Bodden...etc.

Oh thats it, its not that he gets lost playing the pats because they take advantage of him, its that the hall of fame coach does not use him right when playing the pats. I knew it had to be something.

See, I think the thing is Lebeau doesn't trust his corners to cover the spread offense (rightly so) so he gives them help in the form of dropping more LBs back, and keeping Troy back there. The problem is if you keep Troy back in deep coverage the whole game, you're virtually eliminating his gamechanging abilities, and now the chances that he'll get burned are considerably higher than the chances that he'll make a big play. Troy is at his best when he's blitzing on one play and dropping back the next, one play he looks like he's dropping back but instead he comes on a blitz, another play he looks like he's going to blitz but he drops back instead. If you keep him back the whole game, you're taking away his greatest weapon, his unpredictability, and now instead of QBs having to react to him, he's reacting to the QB. It's a microcosm of the whole Lebeau defense, which is forced to take on a different and unwanted character whenever teams spread it out with multiple WRs because the corners can't be trusted to cover all those guys without considerable help. And thus the whole defense is neutralized. The problem of inadequate corners against your offense has plagued us since 2001. We can't get any pressure on Brady because we can't trust our secondary to cover your recievers. We can't cover your recievers because Brady has all day to throw. The result is futility.

See, I think the thing is Lebeau doesn't trust his corners to cover the spread offense (rightly so) so he gives them help in the form of dropping more LBs back, and keeping Troy back there. The problem is if you keep Troy back in deep coverage the whole game, you're virtually eliminating his gamechanging abilities, and now the chances that he'll get burned are considerably higher than the chances that he'll make a big play. Troy is at his best when he's blitzing on one play and dropping back the next, one play he looks like he's dropping back but instead he comes on a blitz, another play he looks like he's going to blitz but he drops back instead. If you keep him back the whole game, you're taking away his greatest weapon, his unpredictability, and now instead of QBs having to react to him, he's reacting to the QB. It's a microcosm of the whole Lebeau defense, which is forced to take on a different and unwanted character whenever teams spread it out with multiple WRs because the corners can't be trusted to cover all those guys without considerable help. And thus the whole defense is neutralized. The problem of inadequate corners against your offense has plagued us since 2001. We can't get any pressure on Brady because we can't trust our secondary to cover your recievers. We can't cover your recievers because Brady has all day to throw. The result is futility.

At least you've come to your senses.

Back